Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #461
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Got my first 'professional' haircut in 10 months today. I've been nipping it back myself due to covid concerns. Went to an old fashion barber shop and there was one barber who had to be 80 years old available. Reluctantly I gave him a try. Let's just say I won't need one for at least 3 months. Oh well....I can blow that dough on something else.
Hey, he tried!

I got mine cut on December 23rd, and even today it's still too short and it's starting to look a little uneven. That's ok with me! Like you said, at least I won't have to pay for another haircut until summer. And with half the town going around with COVID hairstyles (long, shaggy, etc, nightmarish?) I feel better with having it too short than too long. Just looking at the hair of random people on the street, it looks like some Grade B zombie movie.

P.S. - - love your beach photo!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 06:36 PM   #462
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Changed out the water filter
Old 03-02-2021, 07:07 PM   #463
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hey, he tried!

I got mine cut on December 23rd, and even today it's still too short and it's starting to look a little uneven. That's ok with me! Like you said, at least I won't have to pay for another haircut until summer. And with half the town going around with COVID hairstyles (long, shaggy, etc, nightmarish?) I feel better with having it too short than too long. Just looking at the hair of random people on the street, it looks like some Grade B zombie movie.

P.S. - - love your beach photo!
Well, I guess I had a 10 year lead on the new "COVID" hair style!
Old 03-03-2021, 12:54 AM   #464
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Well, I guess I had a 10 year lead on the new "COVID" hair style!
Old 03-03-2021, 05:21 PM   #465

Got some moles removed. no biopsies required, easy peasy.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #466
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
Got some moles removed........
Reminds me, I need to set some mole traps. They are tearing up the back yard.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:31 PM   #467
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Reminds me, I need to set some mole traps. They are tearing up the back yard.
Ditto!
Old 03-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #468

Just go home from our second jab in the arm, had a quick breakfast and will be off soon to meet up with a friend for a 4 mile walk. Then some paperwork this afternoon.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #469
Give me a forum ...

Woke up to fresh snow about 4 inches. It's going to be over 50° tomorrow so I didn't run the blower. We had an appointment for our Covid-19 vaccine this morning and DW had to go to hand therapy in the same place a while later. I left 15 minutes after my injection to get prescriptions and get gasoline. By the time I was done back she was almost ready. Therapist gave her a good review, her range of motion has returned to normal.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:01 PM   #470

I was going to assemble another shelving unit that I'd bought online from Home Depot and was delivered yesterday, but some parts were missing no doubt from the box being torn up on the way by UPS. I called Gladiator and the nice lady said she'd ship it next week, the parts are backordered now. That'll work, I really do not want to haul this stuff back to Home Depot.

DW got her first COVID-19 shot! I'd been on a waiting list at Walgreens and they called for me (I just had the last one done) but DW asked if she could get hers and they agreed.

The letter excusing me from jury duty arrived. Yay!

Finished one R/C airplane that looks like a bird, and started another, a small powered glider that I'll be able to fly in the back yard. This is an old-time kit, designed at least 25 years ago and from the looks of the high-quality balsa wood in it (VERY hard to find now) it may be that old.

It seems that China is buying up almost all of Ecuador's annual growth of balsa wood for use in the cores of windmill blades. This is why balsa wood is now so expensive and generally of poor quality when you do find it. Fortunately balsa is a fast-growing tree so hopefully supply can catch up to demand.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:31 PM   #471
Moderator Emeritus

82 F here today with low humidity. Great Texas winter weather. Just came back from a round of golf with three friends.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:45 PM   #472
Give me a forum ...

Went for my final post THR physio*, plus an X-ray and a brief consultation with the surgeon, (follow up with him in two months).

(*Physio said "I want you to walk from here to here and back, as fast as you can - no running". She had to run to keep up with me.).

Came home, got on the elliptical, (baby settings, as instructed), had a small introductory (for the new hip), workout.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-04-2021, 04:56 PM   #473

Sounds like you had a really great day, Nemo!
Congrats and keep it up.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #474
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Sounds like you had a really great day, Nemo!
Congrats and keep it up.
Thanks! The first couple weeks post-op I was kinda questioning my decision to have it done, (the old "Maybe it wasn't so bad before" doubts crept in)....now..it's great!

Old 03-04-2021, 05:17 PM   #475
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Thanks! The first couple weeks post-op I was kinda questioning my decision to have it done, (the old "Maybe it wasn't so bad before" doubts crept in)....now..it's great!
Glad to hear, keep the exercising up. It only gets better from here. I have two of them and just finished a round of golf today and played as well as I did 20 years ago.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:22 PM   #476
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
just finished a round of golf today
Oh no, hope that doesn't mean I have to take up golf? I hate golf!

Old 03-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #477

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Got my 4th COVID test this morning.

I have somehow gotten through the pandemic without ever having a COVID test. Daughter has had two, my wife had one during screening for a medical procedure.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:35 PM   #478

This is a big day for us. First we both get our second Moderna shots. Our favorite restaurant e-mails me their daily lunch specials, and on the way home i suggested to DW that we take advantage of their outdoor dining.
DW has been basically housebound due to the pandemic, so it seemed like a good idea.
She was absolutely delighted to see other people (other than me), and really enjoyed the outing.
I had a double IPA with my lunch, and was shocked to find it had an alcohol content of 12% !
Old 03-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #479
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Oh no, hope that doesn't mean I have to take up golf? I hate golf!
I don't think you will have any problem not playing golf as the greens don't thaw out in the Spring where you are until the freezing starts again.

Ice fishing may be a better choice, it's easy on the hips and will allow beer drinking in the shed.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #480
Administrator

Today, I went to the fish store for to get some red snapper and some oysters, from which the young wife made an excellent dinner (I am the oyster shucker; she does everything else).

I also spent several hours working on a spreadsheet to reaffirm that my Roth conversion plan is financially superior to no conversions.