Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 05:08 PM   #501
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A beautiful day so left early for a day in the back country. I had about 7 miles by the time I got home late after noon and found a few surprises again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6380.jpg (41.0 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6376.jpg (43.0 KB, 239 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

What did you do today? - 2021 version
Old 03-10-2021, 07:42 PM   #502
Moderator Emeritus

What did you do today? - 2021 version

^ very nice surprises!
Old 03-10-2021, 07:49 PM   #503
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday saw a convocation of about 15 eagles circling overhead at the edge of town. Quickly went home, got my camera, came back and hiked a few miles to get close to where I saw the eagles earlier. Waited about an hour without seeing any. Went home, and brought DW back to town to pick up her car that was getting an oil change. Several eagles circling over the car shop.

Today painted a toybox I’m making and started refinishing a small table.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:08 PM   #504
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
Next to Wednesday day hikes, this is one of the biggest advantages of retirement.
Out new VA home is about 20 minutes from the AT. During Covid every time I drive past the trailhead there are a bunch of cars in the parking area. I'm really looking forward to the time when everyone has to go back to work so I can do some low traffic hiking.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:26 AM   #505
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Out new VA home is about 20 minutes from the AT. During Covid every time I drive past the trailhead there are a bunch of cars in the parking area. I'm really looking forward to the time when everyone has to go back to work so I can do some low traffic hiking.
There are a lot of people out in parks and recreation areas right now. I wouldn't think of going to some of the more popular places on a weekend until COVID is over.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:41 PM   #506

Temperature hit 74° today, and I could go outside in a t-shirt. Put down lawn fertilizer, and gave a thought to draining the fuel from the snow blower, but then thought "Nah. If I do that we'll get a blizzard."
Old 03-11-2021, 07:43 PM   #507
Give me a forum ...

^ I been thinking of doing that also but I'm waiting to just make sure also. Lol

Left early again for the hills for a day of hiking and enjoying the outdoors. I found a large bone structure with vertebrae and bone structure from an embankment that had sluffed off. The bone structure has about 10 to 12 feet of dirt above the buried creature.

I will contact some people tomorrow to check on what it maybe. I live in dinosaur find area. It maybe a buffalo but I doubt it because I have seen their carcasses bone frame and this is a lot larger. I will go back in that area again tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #508
Moderator Emeritus

Golf day with 3 of my friends. The course was packed. Had lunch at Cracker Barrel afterwards. It got up to 82 F today.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:53 PM   #509

Went through tons of old notes and other papers and things. I think the highlight was finding a description of medical theory I had in 1991 that I later forgot. It wasn't very well worded. I decided it's not worth writing a better description. I threw out the last of my old crayons but kept some chalk. I unfolded origami stars and nested cups that I made...in the 70s maybe They were made of forms from my father's job and a couple had financial information on actors and movies but nothing big. I found a 1990s receipt for 12 smiley face pencils (I still have some) that I almost posted to the pencil thread. I found a Rubik's cube that I played with for a few minutes.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:00 PM   #510
Give me a forum ...

Taxes. Also wired a plug, fried some catfish and walked the dog.
Old 03-12-2021, 04:12 AM   #511
Moderator Emeritus

Brutal 7 mile hike with a 7' elevation gain. Also did some painting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 5.02.24 AM.jpg (442.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-12-2021, 05:44 AM   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ I been thinking of doing that also but I'm waiting to just make sure also. Lol

Left early again for the hills for a day of hiking and enjoying the outdoors. I found a large bone structure with vertebrae and bone structure from an embankment that had sluffed off. The bone structure has about 10 to 12 feet of dirt above the buried creature.

I will contact some people tomorrow to check on what it maybe. I live in dinosaur find area. It maybe a buffalo but I doubt it because I have seen their carcasses bone frame and this is a lot larger. I will go back in that area again tomorrow.

Cool. Please update after the experts take a look
Old 03-12-2021, 06:16 AM   #513
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Taxes. Also wired a plug, fried some catfish and walked the dog.
I had to reply when I seen you like catfish. I catch channel cats on the river at my place. Still a lot of ice but shore lines are opening up real nice now for some cat fishing.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:20 AM   #514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Brutal 7 mile hike with a 7' elevation gain. Also did some painting.

Hope you didn't get altitude sickness.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:34 AM   #515
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Hope you didn't get altitude sickness.
Nope - I was between 507 and 514 MSL. Shouldn't have a problem until I get above 11,000'
Old 03-12-2021, 02:01 PM   #516
Give me a forum ...

Called the guys who installed my furnace a while back. Small oil seep at one of the oil lines. 20 minutes later they show up, cut off flare, re-flared pipe. Should be good.
Fed the weeds around the house some stuff to put them to sleep for the season.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:50 PM   #517
Administrator

Today was day 2 of the house window washing marathon. We did the downstairs yesterday, and now the upstairs today. 31 windows in all. They're all sparkly clean now in anticipation of the spring sunshine streaming through them.

Then, I took down the screen door outside our kitchen French doors, since a raccoon tore it up a week or so ago. I decided to paint it before I put the new screening in and reinstall it. That job is currently between coats. I'll probably finish up tomorrow.

Right now, I am in the middle of smoking spare ribs for dinner.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #518
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Picked up the last two connectors I needed to install my new water softener late yesterday. Started the project at 11:30 today and finished, including clean up, by 3:00. Now I'll need to dispose of the old one by cutting up the plastic salt container and fiberglass resin tank. I'll stick a few pieces at a time in the garbage until it is only an unpleasant memory.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:03 PM   #519

Finished disassembling a big old desk unit thing and hammered the nails and staples down to make it a little safer. I saw in a garbage pickup video a garbage man telling a home owner that drywall is commercial waste and I was wondering if I turned my residential furniture into commercial waste. It's not like it was made to be taken apart.
Old 03-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #520

Today...DH and I went out for lunch. The employees at the restaurant we chose were not wearing masks and it looked so odd. Had a mediocre lunch, probably won't go back there for awhile. Came home and scored a vaccine for my younger sis who has a heart condition. That really made my day. I did some office work this afternoon and did a 30 minute strength and balance workout video. Now just sitting here thinking about what to have for dinner.