Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2021, 05:15 PM   #521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Went to the riverwalk with DW and our little dog. It's a was warm on thermometer but the wind was cutting and made us change direction before the plan.

We came across another couple who had a couple dogs, one was a Maltese like we had to put down in January. He was a cute little guy. We got to chatting and learned they were from Santa Fe and were here to get a vaccine. Seemed odd but they were thinking about Texas or Colorado and Colorado is closer(later in the day I learned what family in FL. was doing and we understood).

We probably had the longest interaction with other humans in the past year and it seemed odd to converse for 15 minutes. We were all unmasked but at least 12' apart.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #522

The airplane covering material I'd ordered from two different sources arrived today, one from Amazon and one from Value Hobby. The latter is called Neucover and is much cheaper than the Monokote I usually use. The Neucover is okay, but not as good (I think) because it pulled loose from the edges much easier than Monokote when heated to shrink it. I ordered the Neucover because it seems that every source is short on different colors because of the pandemic.

Anyway, I got the fuselage and vertical control surfaces covered in Monokote because that arrived first, and the wing covered in translucent red. The translucent covering shows the wooden structure that makes up the wing. I'll post a photo or two when the airplane is finished but it's kind of a pain to stop during a process to take pictures. Maybe on the next kit, to show how a box of sticks metamorphoses into an airplane.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:17 PM   #523
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The airplane covering material I'd ordered from two different sources arrived today, one from Amazon and one from Value Hobby. The latter is called Neucover and is much cheaper than the Monokote I usually use. The Neucover is okay, but not as good (I think) because it pulled loose from the edges much easier than Monokote when heated to shrink it. I ordered the Neucover because it seems that every source is short on different colors because of the pandemic.

Anyway, I got the fuselage and vertical control surfaces covered in Monokote because that arrived first, and the wing covered in translucent red. The translucent covering shows the wooden structure that makes up the wing. I'll post a photo or two when the airplane is finished but it's kind of a pain to stop during a process to take pictures. Maybe on the next kit, to show how a box of sticks metamorphoses into an airplane.
Walt, have you bought a kit from Willy Nillies and built it? I recall you had delivery problems with a supplier a short while ago and was wondering if it was these folks.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:42 PM   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Walt, have you bought a kit from Willy Nillies and built it? I recall you had delivery problems with a supplier a short while ago and was wondering if it was these folks.

Thanks.
Yes, it was Willy Nillies. I'm about to contest the charge with the credit card company.

What happened is that I ordered the kit and the completion package that includes the motor, ESC, propeller, covering material, glue, and a couple other minor items. USPS ripped open the box and apparently lost everything but the kit itself and the glue. Then they taped the box back up. I contacted Willy Niilies via email, explained what happened and what I did and did not receive, and didn't hear anything for a week Then he calls me on the phone and asks me to send photos of the box and and box label so he can file for the insurance. I did that. (Good thing the trash wasn't picked up because of the snow or the box would have been gone.) He also said he'd mail the missing items Priority Mail "no later than Monday". That was three weeks ago. He said that he does this part time and was really busy. But he has time to post often on rcgroups.com and Facebook, but apparently not for anything out of the ordinary, like correct for damaged/missing items in an order.

That's a shame, as I really do like the kit and I had intended to buy several more of them. Obviously I won't be buying anything from him again.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:56 PM   #525
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, it was Willy Nillies. I'm about to contest the charge with the credit card company.

What happened is that I ordered the kit and the completion package that includes the motor, ESC, propeller, covering material, glue, and a couple other minor items. USPS ripped open the box and apparently lost everything but the kit itself and the glue. Then they taped the box back up. I contacted Willy Niilies via email, explained what happened and what I did and did not receive, and didn't hear anything for a week Then he calls me on the phone and asks me to send photos of the box and and box label so he can file for the insurance. I did that. (Good thing the trash wasn't picked up because of the snow or the box would have been gone.) He also said he'd mail the missing items Priority Mail "no later than Monday". That was three weeks ago. He said that he does this part time and was really busy. But he has time to post often on rcgroups.com and Facebook, but apparently not for anything out of the ordinary, like correct for damaged/missing items in an order.

That's a shame, as I really do like the kit and I had intended to buy several more of them. Obviously I won't be buying anything from him again.
OK, I see, thanks for the heads up. I was going to order a kit and motor, etc package but I'll look elsewhere.
Old 03-12-2021, 07:07 PM   #526
Give me a forum ...

Got in touch with State about bone findings but they never got back to me today. If they don't get back, I will contact a paleontologist that contacted me last spring that spent two days search on my place.

Went for an another all day of hiking adventure. Found a fossil of a leaf in a rock which was pretty exciting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6391 (2).jpg (199.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6393.jpg (111.0 KB, 54 views)
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:22 PM   #527
Recycles dryer sheets

Day started when I registered for a mountain bike race next Saturday. Race is billed as a “dirt criterium”, which is code for a very fast tight and curvy race course that’ll peg your heart rate at maximum from start to finish.

Then hit the gym for daily Cardio condition followed up by a 2 hour/16 mile mountain bike workout with 3,000 ft of hill climbing.

Wife is out of town this week on a girls Palm Springs week so wrapped up the day with grilled steak and a bourbon. No need for salad or veggies tonight.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:54 PM   #528
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I had to reply when I seen you like catfish. I catch channel cats on the river at my place. Still a lot of ice but shore lines are opening up real nice now for some cat fishing.
Hehe! I love catfish. That's why I always buy 25 year old boats. I don't worry about the chicken liver blood messing them up.

From time to time I wash the blood off the gunnels with a mop dipped in the river.

Yeah Baby!
Old 03-13-2021, 04:43 PM   #529

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Thanks.
An addendum:

I received an email last night from Willy Nillie's that he is sending the missing items, and from the looks of it, a new kit as well. According to the USPS web site it should be here Tuesday. We'll see, and I'll let you know if/when it arrives.

Still, given that the original order was placed on February 7 I'm not impressed.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #530
Moderator Emeritus

I’ve had an ear wax plugged ear for a while and recently tried a home ear wax removal kit. It didn’t work. Yesterday I could barely hear out of one ear. Went to quick care this morning and got both ears purged of ear wax. Hydrogen peroxide and a turkey baster type thing flush. Now I can hear again. Then went hiking and did some woodworking.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:56 PM   #531
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I’ve had an ear wax plugged ear for a while and recently tried a home ear wax removal kit. It didn’t work. Yesterday I could barely hear out of one ear. Went to quick care this morning and got both ears purged of ear wax. Hydrogen peroxide and a turkey baster type thing flush. Now I can hear again. Then went hiking and did some woodworking.
The doctor used something harsher than hydrogen peroxide the last time I had my ears flushed around 1990, and even that flushing hurt. Even the doctor warned me it will hurt. I once read about how often flushing causes a punctured eardrum and I think it was kind of often. My treatment with the harsher substance made my external ear get red, itchy, and swollen. YouTube ear wax removal videos show a probe that grabs the wax. Maybe an ear doctor is needed for the probe. That would be my preferred method.

I self-treat with Debrox drops, a lot of flushing (rubber bulb, not like the doctor's tool), my tissue technique* and an Ototek Loop. I usually get a tiny bit out with the loop that opens my ears temporarily, but I have to press the loop shield firmly against my ear once it's all the way in. When I had jury duty the next day I took treatment to the next level by repeating the above (drops, flush, tissue, pick, repeat). It worked.

* Tissue technique consists of twisting the corner of a tissue between my fingers to make a point, pull down on my earlobe, stick the tissue in, and shake my ear to try to get as much wax on the tissue as I can.

...correction: tissue comes before flush.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:02 PM   #532
Give me a forum ...

Spent most of the day hiking. Another beautiful day.
Old 03-13-2021, 06:34 PM   #533

It is snowing here and is supposed to continue through tomorrow, then a day off and more snow on Tuesday. This seemed like the perfect weekend, so I ordered and downloaded Turbo Tax from Amazon. Some weekends are fun. Some you just need to slog through. I will spend that one nice day (Monday) plowing the roads. My cabinets are supposed to show up on Tuesday. That may be delayed, depending on the snow.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:09 PM   #534

9C (48F) and sunny so warm enough to sit on the south deck against the house. In shorts
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:24 PM   #535
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
9C (48F) and sunny so warm enough to sit on the south deck against the house. In shorts
I live in northern Montana been in shorts for awhile now. No frost a month ago was digging holes with shovel and dry all the way down.

It was brown winter a little snow but melted in a day or two. I have a tan like it was mid summer already. Usually tanned from white snow glare but not this year. Been a good one but to dry and to hot for this area.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:32 PM   #536
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
An addendum:

I received an email last night from Willy Nillie's that he is sending the missing items, and from the looks of it, a new kit as well. According to the USPS web site it should be here Tuesday. We'll see, and I'll let you know if/when it arrives.

Still, given that the original order was placed on February 7 I'm not impressed.
Thanks for the update!
Old 03-14-2021, 12:26 PM   #537
Administrator

So far, I have been periodically enthralled by a tiny spider crawling back and forth across my computer screen.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:11 PM   #538
Full time employment: Posting here.

slicing and dicing some old plywood and ash into a dog step and bed footboard combo. Katie has bailed off the end of the bed a couple of times, completely missing the chair we have there for them. I will block and guide her with a footboard with a 24" gap in it where I want her to start down off the bed.
She is functionally blind with rapidly maturing inoperable cataracts, and has the attitude of a honey badger. She don't give a
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #539
Dryer sheet wannabe

Vacuumed a million dog hairs out of the car and wiped off the slobber. Then took my 3 year old lab shepherd buddy for a ride with the windows down. She loves the slow roll past the goat farm. Worth it.
lrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #540
Give me a forum ...

54F, Sunny, worked on my suntan.