Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #561
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since it has been almost 2 weeks since I got my second shot, I felt it was safe to work at the hospice today. My neighbor and I volunteer there repairing their walkers, wheelchairs and other medical appliances.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2021, 05:04 PM   #562
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ is that a Hibiscus? Amazing to see flowers in northern climates this time of year. So, is that flower a perennial?
Yes - a hibiscus. It lives in my workshop at about 55į in the winter. I keep a plant light on it now and water every other day. It gets about 1-2 blooms a week through this winter.

It's an annual. It keeps living because I don't let it get cold. In the past snowbird days, it has gone 2-3 months in winters before without light and water and survived.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:52 PM   #563
Moderator Emeritus

After decluttering somewhat this week, today I took a GIANT box of donations to Good Will. Think of the biggest Amazon box you might normally see - - that size, and filled to the brim. I was proud to have managed to get it out to the garage and into the Venza all by myself, using a cart. Good Will has a drive through with several strong young men, so when we got there all I had to do was push the button to lift the tailgate and they took it from there.

Then we went to the drive through at Walgreens to pick up prescriptions, and then out to lunch (shrimp scampi, mmm!).

Today's high was a pleasant 86F with a light breeze. The butterflies are back! We saw monarchs and several other types in the back yard this afternoon, fluttering about happily. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but it sure looks like winter is over down here.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:59 PM   #564

W2R >> that is interesting 86F and looks like winter is over. If we had 86F it would be one of the hottest days of the year for us and it would be mid summer. Lol

Sounds like you had a great day!
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:13 PM   #565

Cold wet and rainy day so I only went outside to get the newspaper and mail. Otherwise I was in the basement working on an airplane that is close to having the basic structure done. Next will be the control installation and I want to get some photos of it fully completed but not covered yet. Most people call those the "bare bones" photos but I call them the "stark naked" photos. This gets an eyeroll from DW.

It might be a good thing that I didn't put away the snow blower, the forecast has the possibility of snow in it. Not a blizzard by any stretch and we probably won't even need a snow shovel, but winter is definitely not over.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #566
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
W2R >> that is interesting 86F and looks like winter is over. If we had 86F it would be one of the hottest days of the year for us and it would be mid summer. Lol

Sounds like you had a great day!
I did, thanks!

Yes, 86F would be really hot for some parts of the country! Not so much here in New Orleans. I love hot, rainy weather so the climate down here is just right for me. The ice storm a few weeks ago nearly terrorized me. I don't know how to deal with it.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:36 AM   #567

We are doing a partial restore on our 48 year old B. DW is doing the Interior I am doing everything else. It is coming on slowly.

So far all brightwork has been removed and polished and all seals replaced.
New master Cylinders and Brakes Bled
New Front Disks, pads and shoes
Dash removed, cleaned and rewired when needed
Door locks removed, re-keyed and replaced.
Drivers door removed, crack welded and primed.
New WindShield Seals (All of them)

More Photos but only have a 10 file upload limit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1670.JPG (122.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9951.jpg (676.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1674.JPG (123.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9950.jpg (808.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9953.jpg (727.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9954.jpg (727.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1676.JPG (113.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20210317_082422.jpg (641.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20210317_082340.jpg (639.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1661.JPG (107.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #568
Recycles dryer sheets

Itís not really what I did today ... itís what my daughter did today! She is graduating nursing school in two short months and she had her first job interview today.

After the interview she FaceTimed (she is at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and we are in CA) me and was very up beat and chatty about the interview and possibilities. She is deaf, but has never let lack of hearing slow her down.

Signs are looking good for employment for our youngster.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:13 PM   #569

Spent the day in my basement workroom. Cleaning and purging. Hoping to downsize the big house in the not too distant future and it is crunch time. The realization that the chances that I am going to use X, Y or Z again is somewhat sobering. Good riddance though to countless Phillips screws! Surprised so many accumulated as I usually throw them out as I go along. Lots of old electrical stuff heading down to Habitat for Humanity along with some plumbing things. Some tools to Goodwill. The only part of the house (aside from the furnace room) that still has exposed concrete floor so will probably put some vinyl down when I have got it nice and clean.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #570

Had a follow-up Dr. appointment today. I'm finally off the blood pressure meds entirely. Yay!

Putzed around with R/C airplane stuff but didn't really get much done with the interruption from the Dr. appt. and DW trying to schedule a vaccination appointment online. Mostly just sat at the workbench and thought about processes and installation issues for the R/C gear. Despite it's diminutive size it's an airplane and all the aerodynamic and weight & balance issues still apply.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:32 PM   #571
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to Whole Foods to buy Whole Paws grain-free dog food for my dog, also treated myself to some Tiramisu. Practiced the piano, did laundry, cooked, cleaned, played with my dog. All in all, another quiet and pleasant day in ER.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:33 PM   #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
Itís not really what I did today ... itís what my daughter did today! She is graduating nursing school in two short months and she had her first job interview today.

After the interview she FaceTimed (she is at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and we are in CA) me and was very up beat and chatty about the interview and possibilities. She is deaf, but has never let lack of hearing slow her down.

That is a great day! I wish your daughter the very best and I bet she would be a great nurse.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:34 PM   #573

Went to a Board Meeting in the AM and then went hiking the rest of the day. A beautiful gorgeous day.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:35 PM   #574
Recycles dryer sheets

DW is recuperating from her third epidural blood patch procedure last Friday in an attempt to stop a neuro spinal fluid leak that is causing chronic daily migraines. So, I am taking a week of FMLA and handling all of the household chores that she canít given her post-surgical restrictions. Corned beef and cabbage is in the slow cooker, laundry done, dog walked x2, garbage cans are in, and the dishes washed. I am now debating on whether to begin updating QuŪcken or waiting to do it tomorrow since the forecast is for rain. QuŪcken is tempting because the alternative is to put away the clean laundry.
GoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #575
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We are doing a partial restore on our 48 year old B. DW is doing the Interior I am doing everything else. It is coming on slowly.

So far all brightwork has been removed and polished and all seals replaced.
New master Cylinders and Brakes Bled
New Front Disks, pads and shoes
Dash removed, cleaned and rewired when needed
Door locks removed, re-keyed and replaced.
Drivers door removed, crack welded and primed.
New WindShield Seals (All of them)

More Photos but only have a 10 file upload limit.
What is funny shaped wood piece in the trunk?
homestead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #576
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Congrats. My wife is a retired RN and it can be a very rewarding but demanding career. Hoping it works out well for her.
finnski1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:00 PM   #577
Moderator Emeritus

Putzed around in the workshop, went for a hike, did some reading, worked on making some maps
Old 03-17-2021, 07:08 PM   #578
Administrator

Quote:

Great news! Wishing her great success in the job hunt.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:11 PM   #579
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
What is funny shaped wood piece in the trunk?
It looks like a tool for the knock-off wheels. I had a TR-6 in my younger days which required the same, although I just used a rubber mallet.
Old 03-17-2021, 07:30 PM   #580
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Congrats!