What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a quick headline scan of news on the web, in passing saw a header for method of eliminating procrastination. One of these days might get around to reading the article.

Well, we were finally dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.:eek:

Because of the USPS repeatedly being late with mail since about early December, this month the electric bill is late even though I wrote and mailed the check three weeks before it was actually due. I've been dragging my feet on doing online bill paying because I knew that if I became unable to do it then DW would have no idea how to. This paid off when I was in the hospital a few times and DW could pick up without missing a beat. The electric bill being late finally gave her the needed incentive to learn an alternative. Even though I normally do the bulk of the check-writing she is very much aware of what is paid, when, to who, and she gets stressed about it if things even might be late. Well, I do too, but she does so much more.

So this morning we set up online bill paying with the credit union and we'll set it up with the local B&M bank later this week. (The pension is deposited to the credit union, SS to the B&M bank. Eggs in different baskets and all that.) So for the next few months she'll be sitting at the keyboard doing the bill paying so she won't be a stranger to the methodology.

A side effect of course is that USPS pretty much shot themselves in the foot on this one. We'll be buying a lot fewer postage stamps in the future.

It's so much better than writing checks. I pay everything but annual (insurance and property tax) bills online.

Not what I did today yet, but what I'm going to do today. Last cup of mud, then I will head to ranch and cut up some wood and haul it in for a friends, son in-law for burning. I cut some dead standing trees a month ago and all the wood is ready to burn, been dead for some years now. It will be a beautiful day to be outdoors and will get some exercise in also.

Went for my pre-op Covid test, and did my [-]Black[/-]Graybeard the Pirate impersonation - "Avast there, ye swabs".

Added: Call from the hospital.....be on deck at 06:00 a.m. Friday.

"Shiver me timbers."

Last edited:
... suddenly a retirement account from Megacorp shows the 10k I was told I'd receive. Woo hoo, this is just the start! I lost over 100k in this fund and according to the attorneys they are seeking our entire losses and the loss of use of the funds. Since it's covered by ERISA the attorneys fees are paid by Megacorp and we get our full settlement! I joined this thing without expecting a dime, I only joined the suite when my friend said the former CEO, CFO were part of it. View attachment 37231

Wow - nice! So happy for you - that's a good-sized settlement! 😉

First thing this morning (Monday) as scheduled my network access was terminated, and my security badge deactivated.

This afternoon I returned the computer equipment I brought home with me when we all fled the office for our homes on 3/13/20. My last actual w#rk day was 12/18/20, and the entire organization has been closed for the holidays since then.

I unplugged everything; gave it a cursory dusting; packed it carefully in boxes; labeled the boxes (twice) with my name; included a copy of the "checkout sheet" we had to complete before we could leave the premises with the equipment; put my security badge in the box; and last but not least, I took pictures of the whole shebang. I delivered it to the Facilities guy, who will to pass it on to an IT guy later this week. The Facilities guy is onsite every day (the only employee who is) while the IT folks come in sporadically as needed.

It's not that I don't trust the Facilities guy (I worked with him for 25 years) but as we know, "stuff happens." I envisioned the boxes accidentally ending up in a corner of the vast IT area, or in the basement for some reason, and getting notification in a few months from the "IT police" at work that I was delinquent in returning my equipment. I am so glad that all the CMA measures I had to take for 25 years (because other people might screw up) are now a thing of the past!! What a relief.

I'm adding that feeling to the ever-growing list of the little gifts of retirement I keep discovering every single day. :D

Nice! Congratulations, Calico, and welcome to retirement! 🙂

Went to McDonalds for breakfast. Rode around looking for photo ops. Watched birds and squirrels at our feeders. Watched ice fishermen. Installed wifi based water leak detection in our home. Now watching the news.

Completed the quarterly US Census interview on our household spending. I continue to struggle to accurately track how much we spent on women’s underwear.

started working on our 2021 "budget"...more of a blueprint than a hatd and fast budget as well as tax prep for 2020. that involved shredding the paper records from 2014, getting our annual statements, etc.

Oh boy! Another poster who will have nothing to do all day. Congrats anyway. :)

PS. Just last night, I talked on the phone with a long-time friend since high school. He said his older brother, a pharmacist, retired a couple of years at the age of 71. He had a mental breakdown, and needed clinical help. It was said that it was because of his stopping work!

Last edited:
Went with DW to the local B&M bank to set up online access to her cc account, the only one remaining that we didn't have online access to. This could probably have been done by phone or even online but DW insisted on doing it in person.

We got our stimulus package yesterday. We who don't need it. We support local businesses with it and tip well. Contribute to several food banks.

A younger colleague from Canada called yesterday. He has kidney cancer and was in the dumps. I reminded him that he got to be home while his kids were growing up and I did not. I will be sending him a copy of Dr. Boz's book, "Any way you can".

My eccentric inventor buddy just got a substantial award to produce a working model of repurposed design of a hundred-year-old pump. He is buying me a celebratory beer as we speak. I expect to help him put it together as he has some blind spots.

Went to ranch and loaded up a pickup load of fire wood for a friend. Came home cleaned up saw, clean porcupine guard hair and oiled some wooden bowls from cedar fence posts that I made for center pieces.

Our Thursday night drinking club (motley collection of engineers and designers) meets again tonight at a safe outdoor venue. This is our sole outside social activity these days.

did the first of three annual “that’s-too-much” dances with Sirius/XM. got the bill down to $5 p/m.

Typical gym workout on the morning and bike ride early afternoon.

After my ride .... a neighbor pulled to the house and alerted me that my goats were loose out on the lane behind my pasture. HOWEVER I don’t have any goats, but I know the other neighbor that does. So went goat wrangling today to get stinky goats back to their home. The Daddy of the goat heard is named Billy, so all I did was to get ahold of Billy and the rest of the dumb goats followed Billy and I back to their pen.

Did my good deed for the day.

Took down the trees and put away all the Christmas paraphernalia - should have happened yesterday but too much news got in the way. Took doggie to the vet for annual checkup and shots. Picked up takeout for early dinner and heading out shortly with DD and DS for a holiday lighting walkthrough at a local garden. DD heads back north on Amtrak tomorrow morning; DS will be around a few more days. Very happy to have had them home for nearly 3 weeks - only a couple of minor dust-ups and a lot of very enjoyable time together. Rare to spend so much time together with adult children so we made the most of it.

Assembled two 4 wheel walkers that I bought to donate to the local hospice. They loan them out to people who cannot afford to buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom