Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2021, 09:37 PM   #581
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Had my teeth cleaned. I was supposed to also have the dentist look at my teeth, too, but after waiting 20 minutes, I just left. I suspect the pandemic has messed with their staffing.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2021, 08:46 AM   #582
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday we took the 2 patio sets and the fire table out of storage and set them up on the deck. We also packed a few boxes of household stuff to take to the new cabin on the weekend.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #583

Dental appt today for crown replacement, due to small decay spot on X-ray, that was delayed over a year due to Covid.
Dentist found decay more extensive after he got the crown off. So next up is endo appt for a repeat root canal, then back for crown. Due to limited appts, probably a 3-4 month long process. Just love having repeat dental work done :-/.
However, it was a great experience, absolutely no pain, even with the novicaine injection, comfortable chair, very nice dentist talked through everything he was doing.
Now, 5 hours later, still waiting for the numbness to go away--LOL.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:42 PM   #584

Did another day of hiking and goofing off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6428 (1).jpg (47.5 KB, 242 views)
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #585

Picked up the prescriptions for the changes the doc made yesterday, worked some on the R/C airplane I'm building, mostly sanding, and pondering the details of the control servo installation; what little bits will go where.

Ordered a crimping tool from Amazon for making my own servo extension leads. I'd ordered the kit with the connectors and such but I didn't know you needed a crimping tool as well. I suppose it's theoretically possible to do it with small needle nose pliers but that makes a simple task into a major project. So I'll spend the $15 for the tool.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:08 PM   #586
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Picked up the prescriptions for the changes the doc made yesterday, worked some on the R/C airplane I'm building, mostly sanding, and pondering the details of the control servo installation; what little bits will go where.

Ordered a crimping tool from Amazon for making my own servo extension leads. I'd ordered the kit with the connectors and such but I didn't know you needed a crimping tool as well. I suppose it's theoretically possible to do it with small needle nose pliers but that makes a simple task into a major project. So I'll spend the $15 for the tool.
Nothing better than having the exact right tool for the job.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:07 PM   #587
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Got the riding lawnmower fired up for first time this season. Always hard to start, though it has a keyed ignition. A lot of times it takes longer to get it started than to mow the lawn.

I keep a can of starting fluid (ether) on hand, it makes quick work of hard to start engines.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:14 PM   #588
Give me a forum ...

Watched a tree crew all day.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:27 PM   #589

I bought a computer to replace the one destroyed by a falling piece of desk. A refurbished HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Desktop, Intel Core i5 4570 3.2Ghz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB SSD Hard Drive, USB 3.0, Windows 10 home. At seven years since its release the drive could go at any time, assuming it's the original drive, but it took a while to make the choice and I'm satisfied for now. Grand Total $212.30
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:18 PM   #590
Moderator Emeritus

Went for a hike, and spotted several juvenile bald eagles. Came home, did some furniture reno for friend, texted with a nearby friend who has a family of screech owls living in one of his bird houses. Then DW and I went to dinner and then to Menards for materials for a screech owl house that I'm building tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eagle 5 03192021.jpg (472.8 KB, 43 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:19 AM   #591
Full time employment: Posting here.

Modified state tax withholding on all the retirement income streams I could to have enough money taken out. I screwed up the first full year of retirement withholding and owe over $1000 for 2020.

Because of the lack of overall deductions and tax breaks on retirement income, Virginia is a fairly high-tax state.
Out of Steam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:36 PM   #592

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Watched a tree crew all day.
If you hired them, that's a costly way to spend a day.
Out of Steam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:01 PM   #593

Today I am nursing a major backache. It has been quite a week. We had a major snow storm last Sunday. Monday I shoveled out about 4 foot deep snow in front of the garage doors, plowed the parking area and drive around my house in preparation for delivery of my kitchen cabinets, shoveled out a friend's truck and plowed his drive. (He is having back surgery next month.) Plowed the main road also for the large truck delivering my cabinets and broke the transmission in my plow truck. Tuesday the drywall guy came and finished up the texture. Right after he left I got a call for the cabinet delivery and drove the 19 miles to the local small town and guided the truck out to my place. We had to put chains on the truck for them to make it. I went down to the city yesterday to get paint. I think toting the three 5 gallon buckets of paint finished off back which was already sore from snow shoveling. Today I am mostly taking it easy. Maybe I will finish taxes and such.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #594

Finally figured out how to manage using the little connectors for making by own R/C servo extension wires. It turns out that because of the tight tolerances the proper tool new for making these is about $500. On eBay I read you can find them used for ~$100, if the seller doesn't really know what he's got. So, the $15 tool I bought on Amazon will do it, but it takes some finesse and there is a learning curve - about a dozen or so went in the trash learning. But I finally got it! And that's while wearing a Otivisor magnifier headband and an LED bright light headband on my head. Talk about the latest in Geekwear!
Old 03-20-2021, 04:45 PM   #595
Moderator Emeritus

Today I filled a box with books to donate. Of course, I had to look through each book before putting it in the box! So that took a while. I ended up with about 3 dozen Heinlein, Bradbury, and Silverberg science fiction paperbacks that I have had for over 50 years. Also several North American wildlife guides (I can get that info online these days). And then various miscellaneous books including a couple of biographies and cookbooks.

For the past few weeks I have decided that Tuesday is my day to go to the Good Will donation drive-through. I pack up most of the stuff on Saturday, which gives me two days to be sure I won't miss anything.

Last week I took snorkeling gear, pillows, and various random stuff like that. The week before, small kitchen appliances that were gathering dust. Now books. I'm not sure what I'll take next week but hopefully something will suggest itself. Maybe old video gaming consoles and games? My house is already seeming roomier and more open, which is the objective.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:05 PM   #596
Give me a forum ...

Sawed up the pallet the fountain arrived in and loaded it into the trash.

Ate some prawns with snow peas for lunch.

Now scheduling doc appointments, doing taxes and drinking bourbon.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:07 PM   #597

We took DW's new Tiguan to Paradise on Mount Rainier.
That is the lodge entrance, a tunnel under the snow in winter.

Met the big blower

Oshkosh plow next to a mountain of snow.

The aminals liked it for about a minute.

lovely stone arch bridge over Paradise Creek at Narada falls

skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:37 PM   #598
Administrator

A physically demanding day for me. I scraped wallpaper for a couple hours in the morning. After lunch, I went out and tilled some of the back yard, then dug up the day-lilies and the asparagus and replanted them in the newly tilled area. Public service announcement - if you plant asparagus, make sure it's in a place that will be okay forever, because they are an absolute bear to dig up. I'm beat.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:04 PM   #599
Dryer sheet aficionado

My disabled son is home for the weekend, so went for an excursion to Madison (son in power chair, service dog, my wife and me). Walked along Lake Monona on the paved path, picked up a four pack of Pulp Fiction Hazy IPA from Working Draft brewery and found a picnic table at Warner Park. My wife and I each drank a beer on a bench overlooking a pond. It nearly hit 60 degrees today, and it felt so good to just sit on a bench outside and watch the geese, sandhill cranes and ducks. Then home for a grilled brat dinner. Watched some March Madness basketball with my son tonight.
Trailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:18 PM   #600
gone traveling

Not so much just today, but for the last 10 weeks I have been building a Sauna--apparently off and on--But, seems more off then on.

3 days ago I finally found a tempered glass door to put on it. My son and I were getting some measurements and figuring out how to make the hinges work. It was all coming together. We started to move it back to lay it down and it went pop! I now have a shower door kit for sale, some assembly required.

Together we got about 14 small nicks, and my son got a pretty good 5/8" gash across the front of his thumb. We watched it for a couple hours but it was still bleeding and we couldn't get a look at the actual cut. I decided to take him to a Walk In Clinic to see if it needed a stitch or two. They took him back and when they took the bandage off, it had stopped bleeding. The said it didn't need any stitches and sent us on our way. He will have a hard time playing his Ukulele and Keyboard for a while. I wanted a stitch or two to hold it closed, so he didn't need to baby it so much.

So today, I shortened a wood door I had bought previously for the Sauna, This may be temporary, but I want to test out and use the sauna, so I'm putting a door on! That is all it needs, everything else is done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sauna Door DIY.jpg (1.29 MB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Sauna inside seating 2.jpg (1.09 MB, 39 views)
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote