Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2021, 05:28 PM   #621
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mowed the lawn for first time in 2021 this afternoon. About 7 months until mowing ends. Might have been able to wait a week or so, but 70 degrees and dry for few days made it nice to get done today.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2021, 05:34 PM   #622
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Isn't that too long of a gap? I thought you were supposed to get them both within a 6 week period. Unless you got the Astra Zeneca one. I think that has a longer gap allowed. But still, 4 months seems extreme.
AFAIK I'm getting either Pfizer or Moderna.....will (attempt to) confirm the second date tomorrow* when I get the shot.

(*We have different time zones here.......is it Twilight yet? )

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:28 PM   #623

I was supposed to go to Denver today. It snowed about 8 inches last night and was still snowing this morning so I cancelled. DS had a minor fender bender so I am headed up to go with him to a you-pull-it wrecking yard to find a mirror and maybe a fender. I hope it is not too muddy. Instead of traveling I finished up my taxes and got them on their way. Glad to get that checked of the list.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:03 PM   #624

Was ready to go hiking for the day and discovered that the faucet in the kitchen had some seepage. So, I had to change out a faucet and took most of the morning. I then packed a lunch and headed for a hike the rest of the day. Got permission from a long time friend to turkey hunt again this spring. This evening went a check on the area I been turkey hunting for about 25 years.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 04:23 PM   #625

Started control surface installation on the R/C airplane. The stiff wire that connects the servo to the various control surfaces is far too flimsy/flexible to be effective so I'll have to replace that. Fortunately I have some on hand, and the "Z bender" tool to do it. Or I may go with a pull-pull cable system which is far more accurate but not really needed for a sailplane that doesn't go very fast.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #626
Dryer sheet aficionado

Went for an early morning hike. Then did some recently-retired stuff. Completed consolidation of investment accounts and re-balanced. Contacted a realtor to get some land sold. We bought it in 2006 but never built on it. I think we'll come out all right on it even after taking paid taxes into account. Started another novel by Jamie Lee Burke.
Trailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:06 PM   #627

Hiked all day was a great day in the outdoors.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #628
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
AFAIK I'm getting either Pfizer or Moderna.....will (attempt to) confirm the second date tomorrow* when I get the shot.
Got the Pfizer - confirmed second shot scheduled for July 13.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:32 PM   #629

Yesterday I walked in a direction I haven't walked since last March and discovered the closed Toys R Us turned into a Target and Models closed. Good tradeoff IMO. I went to Best Buy to get a VGA cable and booted up my first quad core computer. Webpages load just as slowly as before and backups over USB 3.0 never even reached 90 MB/s, but the SSD makes it boot fast.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:00 PM   #630

I visited my aunt and uncle, who live in an independent living cottage at a local CCRC. The last time we saw each other in person was at Christmas, 2019.

All three of us are now fully vaccinated, so we decided to meet for lunch at their place. We hugged, and talked, and ate - with no masks on - it was just like normal life!!

I feel happier than I have for a very long time. It was very difficult to be separated from them for so long.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:27 PM   #631
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Got the Pfizer - confirmed second shot scheduled for July 13.
Seems strange to me. Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

According to the CDC

Quote:
Persons age 16 years and older should receive 2 doses at least 21 days apart.
Second doses should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible.
If it is not feasible to adhere to the recommended interval, you may schedule the second dose up to 6 weeks (42 days) after the first dose; there is limited efficacy data beyond this window, but a dose after this time does not need to be repeated.
DW and I got our first one on 02/28. She got her second one today. I was scheduled to get mine today to, but had to put it off so I'm now scheduled for April 7.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:33 PM   #632

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Seems strange to me. Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

According to the CDC

DW and I got our first one on 02/28. She got her second one today. I was scheduled to get mine today to, but had to put it off so I'm now scheduled for April 7.

Yes, apparently it is a Canadian thing, to get more first doses in more arms.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...rotection.html
Old 03-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #633
Moderator Emeritus

Finalized our Alaska trip plans, reserving float plane and Katmai NP lodging. Then went for a windy hike, tracking down some pelicans and sandhill cranes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sandhill cranes 03242021.jpg (199.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg pelicans 6 03242021.jpg (512.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg pelicans 5 03242021.jpg (589.9 KB, 43 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #634

It hit a whopping 15C today so spent a couple hours in the backyard practicing archery with my recurve bow.

First time since last fall. No targets were overly hurt in the process....
Koogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:05 PM   #635

Got my second Pfizer shot!
Old 03-25-2021, 07:15 PM   #636

Went to the ranch and spent till early afternoon. Then went and did a little yard work for an elderly lady who I help out. I spend about about an 1 to 2 hours a week in spring, summer and early fall do some her yard work. She is a very wealthy lady who lost her husband a couple of years ago.

She has 5 kids that live close and they do a lot for her but likes to have someone come in to help her do some of the tasks.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:12 PM   #637

What did I do today? I had a doctors appointment this morning. Scheduled an MRI for Monday. Took some pain medication. Donít remember much else.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:28 PM   #638

Dash man, sorry to hear of your discomfort. I have been experiencing a lower back pain now and again. I sure hope it isn't a hip or an issue with my back. I have been very lucky in life so far with good health. My body has done a lot of manual labor in it's life time thou so I might be feeling the abuse I have done.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:36 PM   #639

Quote:

(*We have different time zones here.......is it Twilight yet? )
minimum 3-weeks for Pfizer, 4-weeks for Moderna. most places here giving the shots will schedule your second shot before you leave.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:47 PM   #640

we've been dealing with the death of my BIL in Calif. on March 5th, getting him back home to Illinois, the funeral and the aftermath. BIL told nobody anything about anyrhing. we discovered, quite by chance, his trust document (wife and i are succesor trustees) but it's been a daily treasure hunt for his assets. this will be my fourth time either as succesor trustee or doing the legwork for the S.T. at some point we'll be heading to Calif. to clean out his condo and close some loose ends. he was a horder. gonma be fun.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote