Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2021, 09:10 AM   #641

Sorry to hear about your family's loss and the added burden of handling his estate, rk911. A good reminder to us all to have paperwork in order whether we personally care about it or not.
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #642
Administrator

Today, I had just finished up patching plaster as part of a home renovation project when I heard a loud thud outside. When I went to look, I discovered that a big dump truck had just dumped five yards of mulch/manure mix in my yard. It was for my neighbor.

When the young guy driving the truck could not contact my neighbor, he called his boss, who told him to just dump it next to the driveway. The kid chose the wrong side. The landscaping company sent out another young fellow and the three of us, joined by my neighbor when he finally got home, shoveled the whole pile back into the truck, which took it around the other side of the neighbor's house and put it where it was intended.

The upside is that I got a real workout heaving all that horse poop. And that part of my lawn will probably be quite green this summer. The two young guys and I chatted as we shoveled. The were friendly and interesting, and it was a pleasant interlude from my otherwise hermit-like quarantine.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:14 PM   #643
Administrator

Very neighborly of you, Gumby. Were you thinking once you retired you were done cleaning up other people's ďmanureĒ?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:19 PM   #644
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Dash man, sorry to hear of your discomfort. I have been experiencing a lower back pain now and again. I sure hope it isn't a hip or an issue with my back. I have been very lucky in life so far with good health. My body has done a lot of manual labor in it's life time thou so I might be feeling the abuse I have done.

Take care of yourself. I started with cervical spine issues in 2006 and the lumbar spine problems started about five years later. So far, my problems canít be fix surgically. I get regular ablations that help a lot, but something else is going on now and my last ablation didnít work very well.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #645
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
clean it up gently and apply a single steri strip across it if you are worried. It is going to reinforce the cut, but at the expense of some skin irritation.

I had not heard of these, I'll get some to have on hand, I read this to late to help him, but the thumb is healing fine. He is still playing his keyboard so I think it is OK.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:43 PM   #646

Walked around the yard a bit and was taken aback at how quickly the weeds have sprouted, so I got the sprayer tank filled up and put down three gallons of weed killer. That wasn't even all of them but that's all my back was up for lugging around. I have a four gallon backpack sprayer but now have to limit myself to three gallons at a time. Bummer.

Some of the fixin's for the R/C airplane under construction arrived and I was able to install the pull-pull control system for the rudder. Pull-pull systems as the name implies, means two cables attached to either side of the control surface going to either arm on the servo controlling that surface. They are, as the British say with characteristic understatement, "a bit fiddly". In American English this means it takes at least an hour, and you're working with very tiny parts such that you need both a headband magnifier and a headband light - full Geek Gear - and handling at least some of the parts with tweezers or small needle-nose pliers.

The reward is that once installed and adjusted, control is very precise. Since both cables are under tension there is no "slop" in the controls. I still have the elevator to so, that's for tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:58 PM   #647

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Sorry to hear about your family's loss and the added burden of handling his estate, rk911. A good reminder to us all to have paperwork in order whether we personally care about it or not.
thanks. the takeaway from this is something i've been preaching to my sister and my nephew and his new wife. preparing a plan for end-of-life just ain't for geezers. it can happen to anyone in the blink of an eye. but just as important is to let someone outside your immediate household know what/where the plan is.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #648
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When we went to bed last night in snowing, it was still when I got up at 7am. It was trash day, DW insisted I needed to run the snowblower to get the trash out, I knew better. Then I tried it and pulled the snowblower out. It was weird like a foot by the house and at the road nut only six inches other places. I guess the trees kept it from falling evenly. It was a wet sloppy snow with some more coming tonight.

I made a grocery run before lunch and picked up some McDonalds on the way home. It's been sunny in the afternoon, the sunshine is melting the snow in the pines causing frequent snow bombs to fall. It's supposed to warm up to 50į tomorrow afternoon it's going to be wet.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:58 PM   #649
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I had not heard of these, I'll get some to have on hand, I read this to late to help him, but the thumb is healing fine. He is still playing his keyboard so I think it is OK.
They are very handy. If you have a clean cut and also clean it properly, they are as good as a stitch in a lower stressed area.
I had a complex shoulder surgery last December, and the PA who was closing the 6 incisions managed to close 5
When we discovered this omission at home, we cleaned it up and fixed it with a steri-strip. They tried to say "the stitch must have pulled out" but you know, a stitch leaves these little telltale holes. They never did admit the mistake, and the steri strip was the only fix that would work after all that time.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:28 PM   #650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Take care of yourself. I started with cervical spine issues in 2006 and the lumbar spine problems started about five years later. So far, my problems canít be fix surgically. I get regular ablations that help a lot, but something else is going on now and my last ablation didnít work very well.
I do wish you well. Can't act like a kid anymore, even thou I might feel like I can.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:57 PM   #651

Quote:
I do wish you well. Can't act like a kid anymore, even thou I might feel like I can.
from your lips to my knee.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:02 PM   #652
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We both got our 2nd Moderna shot today. And we heard from our son-in-law that he got his 1st Pfizer shot yesterday. In 1-1/2 month, we will have a get-together dinner to celebrate. I still have venison, lamb, beef tenderloin in the freezer. Hope they don't have bad freezer burns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
we've been dealing with the death of my BIL in Calif. on March 5th, getting him back home to Illinois, the funeral and the aftermath. BIL told nobody anything about anyrhing. we discovered, quite by chance, his trust document (wife and i are succesor trustees) but it's been a daily treasure hunt for his assets. this will be my fourth time either as succesor trustee or doing the legwork for the S.T. at some point we'll be heading to Calif. to clean out his condo and close some loose ends. he was a horder. gonma be fun.

A few years ago, it occurred to me that if something should happen to both of us while traveling, my children would not know of all the accounts where I stashed our money. There are 20 in all.

So, I made a list of all the accounts, and put a file up on a Google shared file, and told them about it. All accounts have them as equal heirs. I do not bother with credit card accounts, but perhaps I should include them also.

With many institutions pushing for paperless these days, it may be tough for a survivor to track down all accounts of the deceased without some statements to look for.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:46 AM   #653

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A few years ago, it occurred to me that if something should happen to both of us while traveling, my children would not know of all the accounts where I stashed our money. There are 20 in all.

So, I made a list of all the accounts, and put a file up on a Google shared file, and told them about it.
FWIW, Fidelity offers a nice service along those lines.

Secure, free document storage from Fidelity
Old 03-27-2021, 06:04 AM   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
We both got our 2nd Moderna shot today. And we heard from our son-in-law that he got his 1st Pfizer shot yesterday. In 1-1/2 month, we will have a get-together dinner to celebrate. I still have venison, lamb, beef tenderloin in the freezer. Hope they don't have bad freezer burns.

So, I made a list of all the accounts, and put a file up on a Google shared file, and told them about it. All accounts have them as equal heirs. I do not bother with credit card accounts, but perhaps I should include them also.

With many institutions pushing for paperless these days, it may be tough for a survivor to track down all accounts of the deceased without some statements to look for.
Sounds great and it is something to celebrate about. Did you harvest that venison yourself?

I also need to put together an information package for my son also. Great idea.
What did you do today? - 2021 version
Old 03-27-2021, 09:03 AM   #655

What did you do today? - 2021 version

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
FWIW, Fidelity offers a nice service along those lines.

Secure, free document storage from Fidelity
Iíd seen this service mentioned here (e-r.org) but hadnít yet tried it out. Iíve now created an account and intend to use it to share documents among siblings, family-related financial type things. Not my personal info yet until I get more experience.

Signup was easy and fast.

Thanks for the memory jog!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:41 AM   #656
Moderator Emeritus

Unless a raking motion is considered a step by an Apple Watch, I put in 8.3 miles doing yard cleanup and controlled burn.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:47 AM   #657

^ that is a great day of outdoor exercise, whatever the true miles might be.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:55 AM   #658
Recycles dryer sheets

the raking is indeed counted as steps and I'd wager it burns more energy too
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:46 PM   #659
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
^ that is a great day of outdoor exercise, whatever the true miles might be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
the raking is indeed counted as steps and I'd wager it burns more energy too
It felt like a lot of exercise when I got out of bed this morning. Different than weights. Different than hiking or running. Yard work works every muscle in the body.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:06 PM   #660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Yard work works every muscle in the body.
I notice that too. Today I put down two large bags of grass seed overseeding the yard. It's supposed to rain tonight/tomorrow so I hope that helps get it started.

I made a post office run to mail some hard-copy 8x10 copies of a family gathering from a year and a half ago to a relative who is older than me. "Internet? Whazzat? Never heard of it." Anyway, on the way back home I noticed the forsythia bushes blooming and that's the cue for springtime yard work to start.

In a bit of cautious optimism I moved the snow blower from the garage to the shed. I very pointedly did NOT do any maintenance items in preparation for summer storage, I can very easily move it right back where it was and it's ready to fire up. But I was working outside in a t-shirt so it's kind of hard to think we might see any snow between now and December at the soonest. I have learned the hard way though that is it unwise to "put the snow blower to bed" too soon lest the snow gods be angered.