Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-27-2021, 03:35 PM   #661
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Speaking of snow... If the weather is nice tomorrow and the next day I may be able to get down to my motor home if enough snow melts. I am running out of clean clothes and medicine. I am not used to roughing it without a snow plow and we have had a series of heavy shows over the last few weeks. The plow truck needs a transmission so it will likely not be back to plowing until next fall. More snow is predicted for next Tuesday.

Today I finished rolling primer paint on the upper level of my house. I still have to use a brush on all the corners. The dry waller primed the walls and ceilings with 10 gallons before he textured. I am doing another 10 gallons of primer over the texture. Then two coats of final paint for a total of around 40 gallons. That seems like a lot of paint for 1000 sq ft.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #662

Had a skiff of snow over night, so I stayed around home for the first time in months. It is very dry here, with no snow all winter, except for a dusting a few times. No measurable amount of rain since July of 2020.

This afternoon I shot my bow, for the up coming turkey season.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:20 PM   #663

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Had a skiff of snow over night, so I stayed around home for the first time in months. It is very dry here, with no snow all winter, except for a dusting a few times. No measurable amount of rain since July of 2020.

We have been through some pretty dry years lately so it is nice to have some snow here this season. I hope things improve where you are at.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #664

Hermit >> I worry about wildfires for everyone and for the ranch. We have had fires all winter and that is unheard of for us during winter months.
No water if the cricks because no run off, no water to irrigate this spring so far. Next couple months are going to to be very critical.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:14 PM   #665
Administrator

Wishing you abundant rainfall this spring. I've been to Montana and have seen how dry it can be.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:57 PM   #666

DIY day today. I painted the kitchen...not a lot of square feet but had to tape around the cabinets and remove the fridge. And I removed the casing from 3 openings as it will all be replaced with a different style. Then I decided to replace all the old wall plugs with new ones. Also measured very, very carefully, drilled holes, and put handles on the new kitchen island.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:58 PM   #667
Full time employment: Posting here.

We ran an errand to a nearby town, and wandered some new back roads for us.
We found this castle

It was a good day for viewing the mountain
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:30 AM   #668
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I never heard of a "skiff" of snow. Learned a new term today.

Dry here in northern Illinois also. The water level in the lake behind our house is 8" below normal for this time of year.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:47 PM   #669

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
We ran an errand to a nearby town, and wandered some new back roads for us.
We found this castle

It was a good day for viewing the mountain
Neat photos! That cloud (I think it's called a lenticular, or "lennie") looks like a Clark Y airfoil, a type of airplane wing. We don't see those around here.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:36 PM   #670
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our darling pug Zoey was diagnosed with cancer 10 days ago. We were going back and forth between thinking we'd need to put her down in a couple of days to thinking she'd last another month or two.

Well, Friday she started having trouble breathing, and was coughing a nasty kennel cough sounding thing. But she was still happy, walking around, eating, wagging her tail. Friday night I didn't sleep at all, with dozens of scenarios of having to have her put to sleep running through my brain. But Saturday started out good, and she seemed mostly OK. But she didn't eat her dinner, and by 11 pm I was calling the emergency vet about bringing her in. But 5 minutes later, she shuddered, wagged her tail once, and stopped breathing in our arms.

I have been crying off and on since then, mostly worried about her sister from the same litter who we thought would go first. She's got arthritis, and is blind and deaf. She keeps looking sort of lost, but dogs are better at dealing with change than humans are.

So right now, life sort of sucks. But time will help. I didn't even want these dogs nearly 15 years ago, but luckily, and as usual, DW didn't pay any attention to my wishes. They've been the best companions I've ever had, and have made me laugh every day for over 14 years. Until this weekend. But I'll always be thankful she went at home without making us make that horrible (if often necessary) decision.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:41 PM   #671
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I know how much that hurts, harley and I truly feel for you.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:47 PM   #672

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I know how much that hurts, harley and I truly feel for you.
+1.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:52 PM   #673

I'm so sorry, Harley.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:57 PM   #674
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
FWIW, Fidelity offers a nice service along those lines.

Secure, free document storage from Fidelity

It says that you can designate some files to be released only in case of your death. That's nice, but it is not clear if this service is only for Fidel's customers, which I am not.

In the Google file that I shared with my children, I listed info for all accounts, so that they know how/where to claim inheritance to all the assets. Of course, I did not show any account balance, and only told them verbally that the total is in the 7-figure, which I suspect that they know already.

Quote:
Sounds great and it is something to celebrate about. Did you harvest that venison yourself?

I also need to put together an information package for my son also. Great idea.

No, I have never hunted, nor even caught any fish my life.

The venison I have in the fridge is store-bought Cervena Elk, farm-raised in New Zealand.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:21 PM   #675

I threw away a broken starter pistol, like they use to start horse races, that was painted black and given to my father for protection by a weird friend of his. He gave it to me and I finally decided on a method of disposal. I wrapped it in cardboard, put it in a plastic bag, taped it shut, and threw it in a park garbage can. In the same bag was a small piece of particleboard, about 1-1/2" x 5", that I was afraid to throw in the compactor shoot because I was already fined once for violating the "no wood or solid objects" rule.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:44 AM   #676

Dear Harley,
I am so sorry for your loss. It is like losing one of the family. I had to put down the only dog I ever had after she had a stroke.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:49 AM   #677
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry for your loss Harley.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:37 AM   #678

So sorry for your loss, harley.
Our fur babies are truly special in our lives.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:41 AM   #679

Today, DD gets er second Covid vaccine.
DSiL is eligible next week, so will be looking for appointment for him.
Once he is vaccinated, all adults in my immediate family plus siblings will be protected.
Big sigh of relief.
About half of nieces and nephews are done due to health or teaching careers, so hopefully the rest will get theirs in the coming months.
Then on to the younger ones when approved.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:42 AM   #680
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
So sorry for your loss, harley.
Our fur babies are truly special in our lives.

^+1000 to this. So sorry for your loss.
finnski1 is online now   Reply With Quote