Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2021, 12:45 PM   #681
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 16,945
Today, I have been brewing beer. An American IPA style. I just finished cleaning up and am about to crack a bottle of my last batch.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2021, 01:13 PM   #682
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Souschef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Santa Paula
Posts: 3,355
Busy morning: First got my propane tank refilled. Then went to the hospice and placed an order for over $ 500 in wheelchair replacement parts (Thank you stimulus). Then to the pharmacy to pick up to ointments for my back and head.
When I got home I used the new propane tank to refill two 18 ounce bottles for our fire pit.
Then had DW put the ointment on my back where I could not see or reach. The ointments came with complicated instructions, so I made a spreadsheet (of course) to mark off when I am to apply them.
__________________
Retired Jan 2009 Have not looked back.
AA 60/35/5 considering SS and pensions a SP annuity
WR 2% with 2SS & 2 Pensions
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:15 PM   #683
Full time employment: Posting here.
Out of Steam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 678
Went to buy two tires for my wife's car, then went to Costco for regular shopping. We bought the tires elsewhere because Costco didn't have the matching tires to the two staying on the car, and I have found their tire center inconvenient to deal with in the past.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:42 PM   #684
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1,631
Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head. No not really, got up made my coffee, surfed the internet for an hour, then I took a 25 minute sauna in my newly built sauna. Then I took a cold shower. Then I made breakfast, a mush of avocado, hot peppers, soy sauce and two soft boiled eggs.
I needed a piece of trim in the sauna, I didn't have any wood pieces long enough so I drilled holes for dowels and epoxied two pieces together. I got the saws out and cut the wood to size. I decided to eat some popcorn before I do anymore.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:46 PM   #685
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head. No not really, got up made my coffee, surfed the internet for an hour, then I took a 25 minute sauna in my newly built sauna. Then I took a cold shower. Then I made breakfast, a mush of avocado, hot peppers, soy sauce and two soft boiled eggs.
I needed a piece of trim in the sauna, I didn't have any wood pieces long enough so I drilled holes for dowels and epoxied two pieces together. I got the saws out and cut the wood to size. I decided to eat some popcorn before I do anymore.
A sauna sounds great. Being a Finn I've got to get one going myself.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:52 PM   #686
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
street's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4,786
Stayed around home for the last three days. Windy and snowy so got things done around here. Installed plates on new Ford, filled plant cells for wife, moved snow blower to shed brought in lawn mower, got fishing licenses online and numerous small odds and ends.

The back country is calling thou and tomorrow I'm heading for the high country or help a rancher do some cross fencing.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:24 PM   #687
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
A sauna sounds great. Being a Finn I've got to get one going myself.
I kept reading about the health benefits from sauna use and wanted one. One day my son said, "I want to do a woodworking project", I said, I want a Sauna, let's build one. He did some CAD design in the computer and a few hours helping, but, clearly he did not want to do a woodworking project as much as he thought.
I built it small to fit on my screened porch, it is 4ft x 7 ft. I made a bench long enough that I can lay down. I got lucky and found a 5.2kW Sauna heater on Marketplace for $50, but had to spend $55 more to replace the thermostat. That's still a deal. I got it completed for just under $1,700. I started in mid January and just now finishing up.
I have now used it 10 to 15 times, it heats up quick, I have seen the thermometer at 205*F it head height, it is hotter at the ceiling.


Here's a picture of the inside before I got the door framed. and the outside after I installed the door. I still need to cover the door, and put a window in it, but, I haven't figured out what I want to do. I bought a glass door, but it the process of doing measure for the hinges, it shattered into 1000 pieces, nah, it was probably more than that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sauna inside seating 2.jpg (1.09 MB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Sauna door installed.jpg (210.7 KB, 32 views)
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:39 PM   #688
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 22,623
First lawn mowing of the season today. Well, the parts that needed mowing, not all of it did. Thought long and hard about draining fuel & oil from the snow blower, decided maybe next week would be better. No point tempting fate.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:18 PM   #689
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Out-to-Lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I kept reading about the health benefits from sauna use and wanted one. One day my son said, "I want to do a woodworking project", I said, I want a Sauna, let's build one. He did some CAD design in the computer and a few hours helping, but, clearly he did not want to do a woodworking project as much as he thought.
I built it small to fit on my screened porch, it is 4ft x 7 ft. I made a bench long enough that I can lay down. I got lucky and found a 5.2kW Sauna heater on Marketplace for $50, but had to spend $55 more to replace the thermostat. That's still a deal. I got it completed for just under $1,700. I started in mid January and just now finishing up.
I have now used it 10 to 15 times, it heats up quick, I have seen the thermometer at 205*F it head height, it is hotter at the ceiling.


Here's a picture of the inside before I got the door framed. and the outside after I installed the door. I still need to cover the door, and put a window in it, but, I haven't figured out what I want to do. I bought a glass door, but it the process of doing measure for the hinges, it shattered into 1000 pieces, nah, it was probably more than that.
The finished version looks great! ---> <--- not really angry, just enjoying a sauna!
__________________
The closing years of life are like the end of a masquerade party, when the masks are dropped. -Arthur Schopenhauer, philosopher (1788-1860)
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:53 PM   #690
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
The finished version looks great! ---> <--- not really angry, just enjoying a sauna!
I was embarrassed and sad that I searched pretty hard to find the proper size used glass door, paid $55 for it and then broke it into tiny pieces. Thank goodness it was tempered glass, as it was, between the two of us we had about 14 nicks from the glass and my son got a good cut on his thumb. About two hours after it happened I still could not get a good look at it because it kept bleeding, so I took him to a walk-in clinic to see if it needed a stitch or two. It didn't and it is healing fine. I'm still finding pieces of glass around.
I got that last trim piece cut routered, sanded, drilled and installed.
I did an N of 1 experiment this morning, I took my blood pressure, 130/68. I took a 25 minute sauna and then a cold shower. Relaxed for about 10 minutes and retested my BP, 119/66. I take a BP med, but didn't take it this morning just as a test.
Here's a url about the health benefits of Sauna, might be hype, but I have seen studies on some of the benefits. https://www.theenergyblueprint.com/benefits-of-saunas/
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:17 PM   #691
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Out-to-Lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I was embarrassed and sad that I searched pretty hard to find the proper size used glass door, paid $55 for it and then broke it into tiny pieces. Thank goodness it was tempered glass, as it was, between the two of us we had about 14 nicks from the glass and my son got a good cut on his thumb. About two hours after it happened I still could not get a good look at it because it kept bleeding, so I took him to a walk-in clinic to see if it needed a stitch or two. It didn't and it is healing fine. I'm still finding pieces of glass around.
I got that last trim piece cut routered, sanded, drilled and installed.
I did an N of 1 experiment this morning, I took my blood pressure, 130/68. I took a 25 minute sauna and then a cold shower. Relaxed for about 10 minutes and retested my BP, 119/66. I take a BP med, but didn't take it this morning just as a test.
Here's a url about the health benefits of Sauna, might be hype, but I have seen studies on some of the benefits. https://www.theenergyblueprint.com/benefits-of-saunas/
Yeah, I saw that post. That was heartbreaking. I have a full glass door, and I didn't give it any thought, was not careful at all in installing it. Now I think I was lucky!

Anyway, great that it is operational!
__________________
The closing years of life are like the end of a masquerade party, when the masks are dropped. -Arthur Schopenhauer, philosopher (1788-1860)
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:39 PM   #692
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 12,642
Played 18 holes of golf today and walked the dog twice, once before golf, once after. It got up to 85 F today with a good wind.
__________________
Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth...philosopher Mike Tyson
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:00 PM   #693
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Living the Dream!
Posts: 397
My youngest daughter ... who will be graduating from Johns Hopkins with a graduate degree in nursing in May ... just called and was extremely excited that she was just schedule for an interview for a thoracic ICU position at a hospital in Minnesota. I had to slow her down a bit to understand her.

She is deaf and has worked so hard to get where she is at. The job search isnít easy for a deaf nurse, but lack of hearing hasnít limited her or slowed her down yet, and I donít expect it will anytime in the future.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:33 PM   #694
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
My youngest daughter ... who will be graduating from Johns Hopkins with a graduate degree in nursing in May ... just called and was extremely excited that she was just schedule for an interview for a thoracic ICU position at a hospital in Minnesota. I had to slow her down a bit to understand her.

She is deaf and has worked so hard to get where she is at. The job search isnít easy for a deaf nurse, but lack of hearing hasnít limited her or slowed her down yet, and I donít expect it will anytime in the future.
We have some great hospitals in our state and I think they would be lucky to have her.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:38 PM   #695
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,712
Spent a few days spring scrubbing the house interior, finished today by cleaning all the windows. 24 of them. Next up, three car garage, in a few days.
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:47 PM   #696
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
MRG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 10,009
Yesterday I washed the Tesla after it came back from the bodyshop for the second time. They fixed the issue with the sensors not being able to connect to the software. Funny there's no error messages being thrown anymore, maybe they'll check next time.

Now the windshield is rocked, license plate holder was stripped the license plate pried over the stripped screws, the PPF installation is bubbled and creased. I called Farmers and told them in addition to this I'm refusing to deal with the service representative because of his passive aggressive behavior. I'm going to let them try to get this done before I hop on FB and post photos on the bodyshop's page.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:42 PM   #697
Moderator
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 18,758
Went with DW to pick up her new car today. She wanted me along because I can "say no more effectively" than she can.

The usual routine at the dealership, and I enjoyed being able to grin during the finance guy's routine because I had a mask on.

It was kind of interesting, actually. If you added up all the things (undercoating, various extended warranties, etc.) they pitched, it would have amounted to well over 10% of the cost of the car. Needless to say, we turned them all down. To their credit, they didn't push back after the first "No" response. Maybe they realized that I was there for a reason.
__________________
I thought growing old would take longer.
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:06 PM   #698
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 8,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Went with DW to pick up her new car today. She wanted me along because I can "say no more effectively" than she can.

The usual routine at the dealership, and I enjoyed being able to grin during the finance guy's routine because I had a mask on.

It was kind of interesting, actually. If you added up all the things (undercoating, various extended warranties, etc.) they pitched, it would have amounted to well over 10% of the cost of the car. Needless to say, we turned them all down. To their credit, they didn't push back after the first "No" response. Maybe they realized that I was there for a reason.
There's an interesting if unhelpful article in this month's Consumer's Reports about destination fees. Makes me glad I am a Buy & Hold car buyer. What a bunch of hosers.
__________________
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Anonymous (not Will Rogers or Sam Clemens)
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:53 AM   #699
Full time employment: Posting here.
Out of Steam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
There's an interesting if unhelpful article in this month's Consumer's Reports about destination fees. Makes me glad I am a Buy & Hold car buyer. What a bunch of hosers.
There's a lot to be said for the view that the car purchase process is so unscrupulous that the only reasonable response is to limit the number of times you go through it in a lifetime.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:05 AM   #700
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
My youngest daughter ... who will be graduating from Johns Hopkins with a graduate degree in nursing in May ... just called and was extremely excited that she was just schedule for an interview for a thoracic ICU position at a hospital in Minnesota. I had to slow her down a bit to understand her.

She is deaf and has worked so hard to get where she is at. The job search isnít easy for a deaf nurse, but lack of hearing hasnít limited her or slowed her down yet, and I donít expect it will anytime in the future.

Congratulations . You are obviously very proud of her and rightfully so!
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What did you do today? 2017 version Gumby Life after FIRE 3425 12-31-2017 08:35 PM
What did you do today? 2016 version Huston55 Life after FIRE 2576 01-01-2017 06:54 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:20 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.