Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 03:33 PM   #881
Administrator

My town had a tree giveaway today. We got a three foot tall serviceberry, brought it home and planted it in our back yard shade garden. I had to move a rhododendron to make room for it. It looks nice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2021, 03:53 PM   #882
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was looking out back when Bernie, a neighborhood crow, came by. He's a frequent visitor who I feed, he likes walnuts the best. After I fed him DW mentioned she's tried for years, swore it couldn't be done, but he's trained me. Afterwards we went to lunch at our favorite Mexican place and took a walk.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #883
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got up made my coffee, did a little computer surfing, then made my breakfast (Avacado, egg, soy sauce and hot pepper). I finished building a small sauna a month ago and decided I needed some towel rods inside. So I spent last evening and this morning cutting and sanding some of the wood I had left over to make the brackets and rods. I installed them just before noon. Also swept out the sauna and the porch it on.

My wife pre makes some sandwiches made with a short loaf like french bread adds ham slice and cooked pork. We bake them in a toaster oven, but I need to cook mine so it is very crispy on the outside. I then put cut up hot peppers and mix into Maggi seasoning sauce (like soy sauce) and dribble two or three teaspoons over the inside of the bread. Add in 3 or 4 slices of cucumber and lots of cilantro. OH So Good!
Watched an episode of Gunsmoke while eating the sandwich. I took a short sauna, it was too hot because I turned it on to pre heat, about the time it got hot, my wife ask if I wanted to eat, I did, so I turned off the sauna. When I turned it back on, it was already warm, so it heated up quick. Won't do it that way again.

Then took a nap. Supper soon!
Old 04-24-2021, 04:45 PM   #884
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My town had a tree giveaway today. We got a three foot tall serviceberry, brought it home and planted it in our back yard shade garden. I had to move a rhododendron to make room for it. It looks nice.
Awesome! i have many wild native Serviceberry/June Berry trees on my place. I planted 10 along the crick last spring and they did well, with my watering them. This year with no snow run off and no rain, the crick is dry so not sure if they will survive. I picked about 20 pounds of their berry, last June and July. We really like the berry a lot.
Old 04-24-2021, 05:02 PM   #885
Give me a forum ...

Went fishing today with no luck but was a beautiful day to be outdoors. I came home and finished up a couple of cedar post vases. I shaped them yesterday evening and oiled them today. Snow for tonight and tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6820.jpg (33.4 KB, 219 views)
Old 04-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #886
Moderator Emeritus

^ Nice looking vases!
Old 04-24-2021, 06:04 PM   #887

A social group in our town, including new local office candidates, held a trail cleanup day this morning. We got about 12-15 bags of junk, including many plastic bottles but some broken glass, and then things not fitting into bags-a TV set, pieces of vinyl fencing, other construction material, a carpeted cat climber, a car tire, a truck tire, a brake drum, and many other things. Too much to put in our personal trash-especially the tires. We called the township who will pick up the tires and other large items Monday. I came home after 3 hours hiking around in the woods, and finished mowing the lawn. I later spent two hours on the phone with a cousin, politically opposite of me, and we decided how to solve the country's problems together. Too bad no one with power will listen to this conversation. This reminds me of graduate dorm conversations back in the 1980s, when we fixed everything through our conversations back then.

An excellent day overall.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:30 PM   #888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Serviceberry is one of the best eastern native understory trees. Blooms and fruits early, so good for early pollinators and late migrating birds. Plus interesting fall color. A winner for any native plant landscape.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:59 PM   #889

Went down to Home Depot and bought a Preval paint sprayer and a couple of refills for it. This is a nifty little gadget that allows you to spray paint of your own choosing, in this case some custom-mixed paint for the cowling on a R/C model airplane. It is definitely not for large or even medium jobs but great for small touch-ups and small one-off items.

Essentially it's a small 8-ounce jar that you pour your paint into and screw on the pressurized paint nozzle and can. It's a bit hard to explain without seeing the picture. But even with gloss latex paint it works reasonably well. I did thin the paint as much as the paint directions would allow. It took longer to set up than to actually do the painting. I'll do two or maybe three coats but it seems to be working well.
Old 04-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #890
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Went down to Home Depot and bought a Preval paint sprayer and a couple of refills for it. This is a nifty little gadget that allows you to spray paint of your own choosing, in this case some custom-mixed paint for the cowling on a R/C model airplane. It is definitely not for large or even medium jobs but great for small touch-ups and small one-off items.

Essentially it's a small 8-ounce jar that you pour your paint into and screw on the pressurized paint nozzle and can. It's a bit hard to explain without seeing the picture. But even with gloss latex paint it works reasonably well. I did thin the paint as much as the paint directions would allow. It took longer to set up than to actually do the painting. I'll do two or maybe three coats but it seems to be working well.
Nifty gadget. I didn't know about this. It looks like the only thing reusable is the jar holding your paint which can be washed. It only saves you $1, however.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-26-2021, 03:20 PM   #891

Installed the new iOS 14.5 update on my iPhone and corresponding WatchOS on my Apple watch. The main reason I wanted it ASAP was the feature that lets me use FaceID while wearing a mask. That has been such a hassle in stores when I wanted to use my phone to pay or to use a loyalty card stored on it.

This update lets the phone recognize any face wearing a mask as long as you're also wearing an unlocked watch at the same time. It works perfectly and eliminates one of my pet peeves!
Old 04-26-2021, 05:57 PM   #892
Give me a forum ...

Our Little partial Resto Project is getting underway.

We do have a local commentary here:

https://spoonbillcourier.com/1973-mg...roject-part-1/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Purdy and Ian.jpg (800.9 KB, 63 views)
Old 04-26-2021, 06:52 PM   #893
Administrator

I transferred all my pepper seedlings out of the seed greenhouse into peat pots and put them under the lights. We grow six different types - bell, cubanelle, cherry, jalapeno, serrano and poblano.

I also smoked a pork shoulder roast, which the young wife is currently turning into pulled pork for dinner.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #894

Nice car!
Old 04-27-2021, 07:27 PM   #895
Give me a forum ...

The forecast said a rare rain day. It snowed until afternoon. After I got my coffee the internet died, and I didn't have any data connection either. Finally tried calling CenturyLink but everything was down.

A quite day by the fire and with an old dog. DW started to get concerned as she's getting a puppy this weekend and was expecting communications and that couldn't happen. Her anxiety hit me as a buddy is coming in from KC tomorrow and all he has is my cell number. After ten hours they finally repaired the fiber and everything works again. Amazing how powerful a backhoe can be.
Old 04-27-2021, 09:42 PM   #896
Give me a forum ...

I was in the middle of a project to put down waterproof vinyl planks for my kitchen. I set up the saws in the back patio, so I could run in/out of the kitchen to make cuts outside.

My 5-year-old grandniece visited. My sister lives nearby, and as my grandniece spends the day with her, she comes by often. She grabbed a broom and dustpan, and swept the patio for me.

I cut some more planks, and created more sawdust. I told my grandniece, "There, I made some more sawdust for you". She beamed, "Thank you".

As she left, she told my wife not to sweep the sawdust, and to save it for her to sweep tomorrow. Sweet little girl. Now that the whole extended family has been vaccinated, we can see my grandniece without restrictions.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-28-2021, 04:18 AM   #897
Moderator Emeritus

Day 1 of front yard re-landscape project. Searched, found, bought, and planted 6 boxwoods as foundation plantings. 3 more to plant. Tough part is getting the old plantings dug out.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:45 PM   #898
Give me a forum ...

Went to ranch did some fishing, and set up a camera. I'm trying to catch some of them on camera. I found where they are travels in some thick river willows, so I hope I can get them on camera. A beautiful day to be in the outdoors.
I caught the biggest Cat I have ever caught at 32 inches and a 30 inch Pike. Released them after a few pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6838.jpg (67.3 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6833.jpg (38.3 KB, 120 views)
Old 04-28-2021, 05:49 PM   #899
Give me a forum ...

Put the second coat of varnish on my display cabinet project.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:52 PM   #900

Today was a banner day for DW. Because of the the pandemic, she has been cooped up.
First, she got a haircut, then we went to our favorite cafe for lunch. We were pleasantly surprised the the waiter who has been waiting on us for 14 years was back there.
From there we went to Costco to pick up lamb chops and their famous chicken. Then we just sat on one of the display sofas and people watched for a while.
We were surprised at a number of changes-they no longer sold gas, and all the tables were removed on the outdoor patio. There was still a line at the food service windows.
If we had not had lunch, we would get each of us a pizza slice. DW, being an old camper, has 2 folding canvas chairs and a nice TV tray in the trunk. We could have a picnic.
Closed Thread