Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #921

Last night DW noticed the carpet in the downstairs family room was damp and looking up, saw that water was slowly dripping from a smoke alarm. From the location we were 99% sure it was from the dishwasher and were proven right after I removed the kickplate. Yup, it was wet under there. So I turned off the water supply valve, placed a small fan to dry it out, and called it a night.

It's a 12-year-old Kitchenaide and we are not going to even attempt repairing it. It was all I could do today to fix the leaky icemaker water line this morning detailed in the "recent repair" thread and my back, knees and shoulder are not up to the dishwasher repair assuming I could even find the parts needed. So we'll just buy a new one. That's what emergency funds are for, right?

Oh, and I mowed the grass in the front part of the yard.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #922
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Last night DW noticed the carpet in the downstairs family room was damp and looking up, saw that water was slowly dripping from a smoke alarm. From the location we were 99% sure it was from the dishwasher and were proven right after I removed the kickplate. Yup, it was wet under there. So I turned off the water supply valve, placed a small fan to dry it out, and called it a night.

It's a 12-year-old Kitchenaide and we are not going to even attempt repairing it. It was all I could do today to fix the leaky icemaker water line this morning detailed in the "recent repair" thread and my back, knees and shoulder are not up to the dishwasher repair assuming I could even find the parts needed. So we'll just buy a new one. That's what emergency funds are for, right?

Oh, and I mowed the grass in the front part of the yard.
Absolutely that's what emergency funds are for! I am SO glad that you are giving your back, knees, and shoulder a break.

Well, except for mowing the lawn. One of these days I'll persuade you to hire a kid to do that.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:53 PM   #923
Administrator

I planted my sweet potato slips out at the garden and sowed the okra amongst them. Also planted a bunch of marigolds to assist with bug control.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:37 PM   #924
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, yesterday was miserable. I'm helping my friend shingle his cabin. It was 7C (45F) with cold 40k winds off the lake (still ice covered), plus clouds and a bit of rain. We had planned for some rotted sheathing (which we found) but we hadn't planned for almost all of the truss ends to be rotted. We spent the rest of the day and most of today repairing the rotten trusses, rotten sheathing, crooked and rotted fascia, and damaged soffit.

We finally shingled a bit today but only for a couple hours at the end of the day. They'll shingle most of the rest tomorrow stopping close the peak and then I'll go back to install the roof vents.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #925

Washed & sanded down kitchen & bathroom cupboards. Just roughed up really. Now a clear coat. Can't justify new floors with dingy cupboards. And they were filthy. No idea why I didn't see all that before

Walk will have to wait until after dinner
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:24 PM   #926
Recycles dryer sheets

Shok,
I sold my Tr6 ten years ago. This talk is making me want another. I enjoyed working on it more than driving for some silly reason.

I found a beautiful one on line, but they were asking a crazy price for it

Have fun with your MGB. Only had one of those, and it was close to garbage when I got it.

JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Cut down the Gear Lever on my project MGB and install an anti-rattle damper that some mechanic had really messed up. 4 hours playing with the really oily bits. But all done now and new prop shaft bolts to boot.
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:27 PM   #927

I took a walk this morning and a bike ride. Planted some lettuce, beets and one tomato plant someone gave us. It was huge so decided to plant it. We have about 32 tomato plants we started that are 12 to 14 inches tall. Will give over half away and plant the rest this week.
Mowed the yard and fertilized and will start watering.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:31 PM   #928
Full time employment: Posting here.

I borrowed a friend's trailer and picked up a large combination grill that needed a new home. Our current one had lost part of the function just a day or two ago, so the timing was fortuitous.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #929

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I took a walk this morning and a bike ride. Planted some lettuce, beets and one tomato plant someone gave us. It was huge so decided to plant it. We have about 32 tomato plants we started that are 12 to 14 inches tall. Will give over half away and plant the rest this week.
Mowed the yard and fertilized and will start watering.
I love that! We (DS, DD, & I) were shielded from a lot of 2020 grocery shortages because we had a decent garden, not a good garden but something that yielded most fruit & 1/2 veggies
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:06 PM   #930
Administrator

In the morning, I spread Grub-Ex on the lawn, then uncovered my fig trees from their winter protection and up-potted my zucchini seedlings. They'll go out to the garden in about 10 days. Went to get a propane tank filled, came home and sharpened some of my straight razors, then helped the neighbor move some big things around in his workshop. The young wife cut my hair. A good day.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:18 PM   #931
Moderator Emeritus

Worked on the sea chest that I’m making. Went by a friend’s pole barn construction to see how it’s doing. Went to Menards to get some 2x4’s for a for sale frame I’m making for a friend. The $10.39 price for an 8’ 2x4 made me hold off until I get a confirmation. So I went for ice cream instead.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:32 AM   #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Worked on the sea chest that Iím making. Went by a friendís pole barn construction to see how itís doing. Went to Menards to get some 2x4ís for a for sale frame Iím making for a friend. The $10.39 price for an 8í 2x4 made me hold off until I get a confirmation. So I went for ice cream instead.
I gave away about a dozen twisted and bent 2x4x16s a few weeks ago. I'm glad I didn't cut them up for fire wood. I would have thought how much those cost today as I burned them. At least the guy that got them is making a shed with them.

It is snowing today. There may be quite a bit of wet, heavy snow when this is done.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #933

^ I want the snow badly!

Going to check minnow traps, will haul some water for some June Berry trees. The crick is dry and the trees are mostly still alive so I will try to keep them that way. Started the pump and watering the yard.
I also will check cameras at the ranch to see if I got any moose pictures on them.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:59 AM   #934
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Removed some stuff from cabinet bought by late DW to hold stuff rarely ever used and dropped them off at Goodwill. More to go. AKA downsizing.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:31 PM   #935

DW got a new Apple Watch delivered today and we had a bit of an adventure. Pairing it with her iPhone didn't work, no matter what we tried.

Called Apple and spent about 15 minutes troubleshooting it because the first support rep had to call in a more senior technician to help figure out the problem.

I was very impressed with the support. Almost no time spent on hold, despite it being Monday morning, and the one we spoke with was helpful, friendly, and actually listened to everything we said. He even let us skip over some of the trouble shooting steps when we said we had already tried them.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #936

Yesterday we went to the first family gathering in a bit over a year, an outside picnic/cookout in a state park. The weather, always a bit of a gamble this time of year, was near perfect, sunny and ~85įF. Everyone in attendance has had their shots and no one wore masks. So glad to finally get in a little bit of normalcy and to see everyone. We did get a little sunburned though.

Today was go out to Lowes and get a dehumidifier at DW's insistence for the family room area where the dishwasher was leaking. (It borders the kitchen.) The brand new hardwood floor just installed last August has a few boards warped from the water and we're hoping they'll flatten out as they dry. If not, we have almost a whole box of the same flooring boards in the basement that were left over so if they need replacement at least we won't be scrambling to find them. I'm skeptical that the dehumidifier will do much if anything that the central A/C won't do as far as dehumidification goes since this is an open area with free airflow to almost the entire upper floor. Oh well, happy wife, happy life.... And besides, when this is done the new dehumidifier will supplement the one in the basement, which is getting a bit long in the tooth and likely to quit soon anyway. Having spent the money for the second one, Murphy's Law says that having a spare virtually guarantees that they'll both last forever.

DW was too tuckered out from the picinic to bother with dishwasher-shopping today so that's tomorrow's project. I have of course looked around online but we do want to stop in at one local shop before buying. All other things being even close to equal I'd much rather deal with the local independent store because they're usually better at responding to any issues and they don't have the corporate bureaucracy to deal with regarding installation. They even answer the phone!
Old 05-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #937
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Went with DW to Costco this morning to return her hearing aids and purchase a new version. The new and improved version she purchased are rechargeable (she had trouble replacing the tiny batteries) and were $100 less than the pair she returned. The returned HAs were still in Costco's 180 day trial period so we got a full refund.

I was surprised to learn the new HAs also have a 180 trial period - the clock starts over again at zero even though she was ~ 150 days into her trial period on the pair she returned. Gotta love Costco...

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 03:03 PM   #938

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
We got our 12 week old shih zhu puppy today. She seems to be settling in OK. Attachment 38817
Cuuute!!
Old 05-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #939

Changed the Gearbox oil, replaced the front brake pads, then bled the front brakes on my project car. Unlike most of you that are loafing around.... Just kidding.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #940

took care of DGS this morning , paid bills this afternoon.
Thats about it so far, but 18 month olds can wear you out!