Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #941
Moderator Emeritus

Started running again with a 3 mile run/walk. Registered for a hand tool woodworking class and bought some hand tools. Got an email that the camera I want is on sale, so I bought it. And sold 2 cameras to a buy/sell/trade company.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #942
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
took care of DGS this morning , paid bills this afternoon.
Thats about it so far, but 18 month olds can wear you out!
LOL!! Well, tomorrow my wife and I get to watch our step granddaughter for the afternoon, she just turned 4 years old. We are pretty excited and will post tomorrow our day, with the joy of our life. Lol
Old 05-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #943
Recycles dryer sheets

Not much got done today. Was a rainy, take it easy day. Went to the grocery store and spoke to a previous coworker with whom I thought a lot of and used to encourage financially. Since our talks that started out five years ago, he's come a long way and I was really happy to hear about how much progress he's made. He went from being in debt and never having any money to learning how to spend less and hold onto his capital. Then, recently took an even bigger step toward learning how to invest some of it. I used to tell him he was only two changes away from turning it all around. I could tell that his life will never be the same by the gleam in his eyes and the excitement he had for growing his wealth to an amount he once never imagined he would ever have and he's only just begun. He's 45 years old but he has started a new journey and I'm pleased that I was able to help one person. Just one person. I was finally able to help one, one who was willing to listen. He promised to take me to lunch or dinner one of these days to say thanks which is nice, but just knowing I influenced his life in a positive way is thanks enough.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #944
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Coffee, Breakfast, Sauna and a shower. I tried to understand a Medical lab test bill, that has five tests listed, the first line said Charge, $15, adjustment (ins Co) $25.38, Amount due $40.38. The other 4 lines had a charge, an adjustment and the amount dues was, the charge minus the adjustment, not an addition. Four phones calls and they bumped it to a department that doesn't talk to customers. Then wasted hours of my life on the internet.
Need to get a life! Oh, I did make a handle for the cover of a Rain barrel my wife wanted.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #945
Give me a forum ...

We got a new to us dog last July and he needs vaccination updates and a check up. Called first vet and not taking any new clients. Second vet - we can take you in, but first appointment available is in July. Finally got an appointment at a third vet ten days from now. I guess the vet biz is crazy now.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #946

Actually was yesterday, but opened up my inground pool for this year. Also mowed the yard and several smaller projects taking advantage of the nice weather. Rain for today through Wednesday. Which means be ready to mow again Thursday, this time of year is approx every 5-7 days maximum.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 05-03-2021, 09:58 PM   #947
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yesterday we went to the first family gathering in a bit over a year, an outside picnic/cookout in a state park. The weather, always a bit of a gamble this time of year, was near perfect, sunny and ~85°F. Everyone in attendance has had their shots and no one wore masks. So glad to finally get in a little bit of normalcy and to see everyone. We did get a little sunburned though...
On last Saturday, my brother hosted a family get-together for a BBQ dinner out in his backyard, for 17 relatives. Everyone was fully vaccinated.

We had not had a family get-together like this since Feb 2020. We ate, drank, and talked till midnight. It was great.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-03-2021, 10:18 PM   #948
Give me a forum ...

Made up the brackets and mount for my cabinet project
Old 05-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #949

Applied for a cash out refi loan, 7/1 ARM at 2.5% on our primary home that we plan on selling next year. Freeing up some cash for the lake house that we will move to full time next year hopefully. Hoping that the Real Estate market stays hot.

The refi will give us a bit over $100k in cash, and lower our monthly payment by almost $100!
Old 05-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #950
Give me a forum ...

Well, I'm hobbling along after an accident late yesterday. I was cleaning up some round fence posts that had old barbwire on them and 8 inch pole barn nails driven in them also. Well, one rolled of off the top and the nail landed right on top of my foot. The nail imbedded right between my big toe and the one next to it. It just about went all the way through. Lol Darn!!

Went and got my first covid shot this morning and will have our step grand daughter here with us this afternoon. I had a lot of things planned but not sure how much I can be on my feet today yet.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:24 AM   #951
Administrator

Sorry to hear about that, street. Have you had a tetanus shot recently?
Old 05-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #952
Give me a forum ...

Gumby, I did last fall when I received the flu shot. So, that was something for me to smile about. The nail must have missed the bones but not sure how. I left a blood trail a blind man could of followed.

Thanks Gumby!
Old 05-04-2021, 01:30 PM   #953
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got the wheels swapped on my RV. Or rather I drove to the garage and they did it for me.
That is swapping studded winter tires for normal summer ones.
I like the studs in winter - my motorhome drive like it's on rails. But it's even better when I put the summer shoes on my RV.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:11 PM   #954

Putting up wall shelves in the garage to replace a wooden storage cabinet and shelving unit that I have disassembled. It was too long and deep for the space and made getting two cars inside questionable.

Reusing the wood from it to build the shelves. I've seen the price of lumber.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #955
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Gumby, I did last fall when I received the flu shot. So, that was something for me to smile about. The nail must have missed the bones but not sure how. I left a blood trail a blind man could of followed.

Thanks Gumby!
That's good news. My periodic tetanus shots have always been as a consequence of somehow puncturing myself somewhere, usually by doing something stupid. Last time was using a drill driven paint chipper attachment on a old radiator. It happens often enough that I've never actually had a booster shot.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #956
Moderator Emeritus

Back yard is like a swamp after the recent 8" rain. My gutters are clogged from leaves that I failed to clean out this winter. As a result, the rain water just ran over the gutters. UGH! I forgot about cleaning them when the freeze came this winter as I was helping others fix busted pipes and water damage around here. No pipe or water leak damage to our house during that period, though.

The rear gutter guards are toast and I just bought new ones which will be put up once I can find someone to hold the ladder.

I also dug out (in areas) and cleaned the yard perimeter drainpipe as it is (was) plugged up in places after 20 years of moving rainwater to the street. Easy digging in very wet soil! But it was a royal PIA.

At 77+ years old, the shovel and wheelbarrow seem heavier than I recall in previous uses. Oh, it's 90 F and humid out too!

Maybe I'll finish this wet and muddy job after Thursday (Golf match scheduled) and things will be drier.

I'm starting to wonder why we even have a 2,000 square foot house and associated yard since it's only the two of us and the other family members hold the holiday events now since DW is not readily capable of those tasks anymore. I think we will start evaluating a condo or apartment since we don't rally have a need for a SFH anymore.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #957

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Made up the brackets and mount for my cabinet project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
Putting up wall shelves in the garage to replace a wooden storage cabinet and shelving unit that I have disassembled. It was too long and deep for the space and made getting two cars inside questionable.

Reusing the wood from it to build the shelves. I've seen the price of lumber.
Shelves and cabinets seem to be the thing today, so I will chime in. I finished hanging the wall cabinets in my kitchen today. Crown molding and such will come later.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:59 PM   #958

Quote:
Well, I'm hobbling along after an accident late yesterday. I was cleaning up some round fence posts that had old barbwire on them and 8 inch pole barn nails driven in them also. Well, one rolled of off the top and the nail landed right on top of my foot. The nail imbedded right between my big toe and the one next to it. It just about went all the way through. Lol Darn!!
When I read that I said out loud "Ouch!" and DW came in from the next room to see what was wrong with me. When I explained her response was the same. Hope the healing goes easy for you.

Today the big accomplishment was finding and buying a new dishwasher to replace the old leaking one. After doing due diligence online and finding that just about every install that way is at least ten days out we decided to shop local as intended. At local shop #1 we went in, heard someone on the phone in a back room, but no one ever came out so after browsing around a bit and not finding anything we liked anyway after about ten minutes, we left. DW then wanted to go to Lowes, so off we went. They could get a dishwasher that we were interested in, but it wouldn't be available for installation until June. And that was a "maybe". Uh, no thanks. From looking online I knew that Home Depot could do better than that.

So on to local shop #2. We had bought a clothes dryer from them about 16 years ago but they delivered the wrong model, with an end-of-cycle buzzer that could not be turned off so I decided never to buy anything from them again. (I had to dig into it, find the blasted buzzer, and unplug it.) In the meantime we kept hearing good things about them, so we decided to try again, especially since at this point we were running out of options, the only other one remaining being Home Depot, and I've heard some horror stories about them from relatives, so that was the last resort. Well, apparently in the intervening years business has been good for local shop #2 since when we got there, there was a sign indicating that they'd moved about a mile and a half away to what turned out to be much nicer digs than their old store.

So the upshot is we're getting it installed Thursday morning. They offered tomorrow, but that's the day the floor installers are coming to finish off the floor trim from the job last August and we figured it best to not have them possibly getting in each other's way.

Oh, and then I mowed the back part of the yard.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:34 PM   #959
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Walt34. I'm very thankful it went between the toe bones. It would of pierced or broken foot bones, so things could of been worse. It's going to be a wile to get back to hiking but been out and about some this afternoon.

Our grand daughter is here and haven't tried to keep up with her and been doing somethings, so not a total waste of day for me.

It looked like you had a busy day and an eventful also.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:14 PM   #960
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Went and got my first covid shot this morning and will have our step grand daughter here with us this afternoon. I had a lot of things planned but not sure how much I can be on my feet today yet.

Whoa! That sounds painful. I know you said you had a tetanus shot a while ago, but maybe a trip to the doc just to be extra safe. Maybe a quick care if you have one nearby. It seems that we have more weird accidents as we get older.
Closed Thread