Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 05:47 AM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ Sounds and looks like a great day!
+1
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2021, 06:23 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got into a friendly discussion with my mum about when to take out the xmas tree. She says 2 weeks and I think 3 weeks after xmas.
We both put our trees up on the 23rd.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:39 AM   #83
Administrator

We usually take ours down on Epiphany (aka 3 Kings Day). We were going to do it on Wednesday, but we got distracted by events, so we'll do it later today.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:54 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

"Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head", lol. Made some omelettes with onions and tomatoes and added some sour cream on top. Pork n beans on the side. Checked the news and the stock market. Nothing pressing on the agenda today. Staying warm and cozy at home with my pets.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:13 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You are more daring than I am, messing around with them goats.

Great memories.

First mill I worked at we had a female nubian that ran freely. She never got on the mill deck but loved to strip bark off the logs in the yard. There's a thin layer of cambium between the bark and wood, she loved to eat that. She also liked my True menthol cigarettes. When they went stale they were disgusting to smoke but she couldn't tell the difference. A loose goat hopped up in nicotine running wild around a sawmill. What could go wrong? I quickly learned not to bend over when she had nicotine..
Old 01-08-2021, 12:17 PM   #86
Administrator

Today, we received our joint Christmas present to ourselves - new Gore-Tex rain coats/shells from LL Bean. We're happy with them. I also just drove out to get a propane tank refill and, on the way, watched a red-shouldered hawk stoop on a small rodent, snag it, and then fly away to a nearby tree with her catch.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #87

Got in a half-dozen or so flights in the back yard with the UMX Turbo Timber, a small STOL R/C airplane that is becoming a classic. I played until my fingers got too cold to reliably work the sticks and then had to reluctantly stay inside. The forecast was for the low 40's today. They lied, we won't see high 30's.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:01 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Great memories.

First mill I worked at we had a female nubian that ran freely........
When I was a kid, my older brother, probably about ten, decided he was tired of the neighbor's goat coming into our garden and eating the plants. He fashioned a lasso out of rope and lassoed the goat. I'll never forget the sight of him running, rope in hand with the lassoed goat right on his heels. He finally made it to a garage side door and waited until the goat left.
What I did today.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #89
Dryer sheet wannabe

What I did today.

I went to my shop out in the back yard and worked on my 1967 Chevrolet Camaro. I have a few small things that need taken care of before spring. When spring comes and you asked me what I did today the answer will be that I rode around in my 67 Camaro with the top down. Have I mentioned that I love retirement?
Old 01-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

I finished drywalling the new basement bedroom. Mudding starts tomorrow.

And I sold my pool table
Old 01-09-2021, 04:25 PM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I finished drywalling the new basement bedroom. Mudding starts tomorrow.

And I sold my pool table

Sounds like a good day!
Old 01-09-2021, 04:29 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Sounds like a good day!
Sad to see the pool table go but with the new bedroom space is tight, and I was hardly using it anyway.

The good news is that I sold it for $500 more than I paid for it
Old 01-09-2021, 09:03 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
I'm guessing you had a good reason to wait to after the end of the year for the purchase? I know if you bought on the last day of the year you can very often get some very good discounts as they try to reach some magical quotas.
I only saw your post just now, hence this late reply.

I did visit a dealer on 12/30, but the deal I got at the 2nd dealer on Jan 1st was better. Chevrolet had a sales on all cars that started some time in December, and lasted till 1/4.

The Equinox model did not sell well against its competitors, hence Chevrolet gave a heavy discount on this model. It was nothing fancy, but works quite well for me who wants a towable dinghy for my motorhome.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-09-2021, 10:43 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Finished up the 12 volt lights in the storage shed. The solar panel and charge controller go in tomorrow. Need to power wash the rain dirt off the deck and let dry a couple so's I can hit it with the stain.
What did you do today? - 2021 version
Old 01-10-2021, 05:06 AM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

What did you do today? - 2021 version

Tested out my new camera lens on a hike/ eagle hunt. Saw several eagles, but couldn’t get close to them. First hike since foot surgery almost 8 weeks ago. Great to be outside, but it was icy and 30 degrees. Also day 1 of a keto diet.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:41 AM   #96
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I only saw your post just now, hence this late reply.

I did visit a dealer on 12/30, but the deal I got at the 2nd dealer on Jan 1st was better. Chevrolet had a sales on all cars that started some time in December, and lasted till 1/4.

The Equinox model did not sell well against its competitors, hence Chevrolet gave a heavy discount on this model. It was nothing fancy, but works quite well for me who wants a towable dinghy for my motorhome.

Makes sense and I forgot a lot of the year end deals trend to drift over into the new year as well.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:05 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Not 'today' but last evening, DW helping me to the 'puter chair......fell on my ass....who knew a chair with wheels would move?

DW (5' 1 1/2" and 104 pounds) couldn't get me up....had to call an ambulance. We replaced the chair with a non-mobile one.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #98
Administrator

Sorry to hear that, Nemo. I hope you're not seriously injured.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Sorry to hear that, Nemo. I hope you're not seriously injured.
Thanks.....seriousness isn't really my forte though.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-10-2021, 11:00 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Watching the snow fall.