Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-13-2021, 06:42 PM   #1021
Dryer sheet aficionado

I took a walk in the woods this evening and I think I found the first chanterelle mushroom of the season, it's still too small to pick and confirm its identity. It is where I've found them before.
arbeadub is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 07:20 PM   #1022
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While waiting for my contractor friend to show up this morning, I finally got around to watching "The Departed". I can see why it won best picture, though I do not think it was Scorsese's best movie.

Once friend arrived continued work on the bathroom renovation. Floor tiling and some of wall completed. It was a nice day so we knocked off early and went bowling, in time to catch the senior discount.

Ran some errands after bowling to pick up desired fixtures for bathroom. Did a little mulch bed cleanup in preparation for putting down new mulch.

Right now, just relaxing playing with a few open source software projects. DW has challenged me to several board/card games later tonight. The side bets will make it very interesting and joyful .
Old 05-13-2021, 07:56 PM   #1023

Hiked on Cross County Trail, middle of Fairfax County. Low water crossing at South Run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210513_175902735.jpg (1.06 MB, 58 views)
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:04 PM   #1024
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still working on getting items off my garage floor. Got the treadmill placed against a wall, an oversized cardboard box emptied and recycled, and a middle shelf put in a cabinet.

Now very near the point where we could put two cars inside in a pinch.
Out of Steam is online now   Reply With Quote
What did you do today? - 2021 version
Old 05-13-2021, 09:02 PM   #1025
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes being frugal ends up being more costly in the long run. I have families of geese coming ashore in my back yard to wreak havoc and defecate in my back yard.

Stretching a fishing line “fence” along the shoreline will deter them. I figured that I needed 4 stakes about 20’ apart to wrap the fishing line around.

So I bought 2 - 26” aluminum deck railing spindles. Cut them in half to make 4- 13” stakes. Then pounded them into the shoreline and wrapped fishing line between the stakes.

Problem is that the top of the stakes are only about 8” above ground after being set in the ground. So the string line is 8” above ground. Perfect height for adult geese to step over while the babies crawl under on their way to abuse my yard.

So back to the big box store tomorrow to buy 4 more spindles. This time I won’t cut them in half. I need to install the string line about 12” - 15” above ground to deter the adult geese. The babies won’t come ashore if the adults don’t.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:44 PM   #1026

Prepped ground and laid 1400 sq ft of sod. For some reason sod always seems like such a bargain.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Back home from trip
Old 05-14-2021, 06:11 AM   #1027
Recycles dryer sheets

Back home from trip

Well we are finally back home from our "Wild West Adventure" so named by our DD. Spent the day unloading camper then helping DW sort dirty clothes for the many loads to do. We had a wonderful trip, drove 3400 miles and saw some great country. Now I'm going to head out in a little bit to wash camper and truck,check everything out in preparation for our next trip. This time we will be going a shorter trip to Pigeon Forge to carry DGD to Dollywood as she gets out of school Tuesday the 18th. We leave on Wed.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:38 AM   #1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Sometimes being frugal ends up being more costly in the long run. I have families of geese coming ashore in my back yard to wreak havoc and defecate in my back yard.

Stretching a fishing line “fence” along the shoreline will deter them. I figured that I needed 4 stakes about 20’ apart to wrap the fishing line around.

So I bought 2 - 26” aluminum deck railing spindles. Cut them in half to make 4- 13” stakes. Then pounded them into the shoreline and wrapped fishing line between the stakes.

Problem is that the top of the stakes are only about 8” above ground after being set in the ground. So the string line is 8” above ground. Perfect height for adult geese to step over while the babies crawl under on their way to abuse my yard.

So back to the big box store tomorrow to buy 4 more spindles. This time I won’t cut them in half. I need to install the string line about 12” - 15” above ground to deter the adult geese. The babies won’t come ashore if the adults don’t.
Lets know how your progress goes and how effective it will be.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #1029

Closed on a home that I’ve been renting since late 2017. The owner approached me and we worked out a deal.

No listing, no realtors, no bidding wars. Obviously I know the property quite well. I’m very happy we made it happen in this crazy market!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:39 PM   #1030

Finished installing 22 low voltage LED lights (spot and well lights) in our backyard this morning. We will be testing it tonight and through the weekend. These 12 watt LED lights (100 watt equivalent) are amazing and give a professional look. We ordered 20 more lights from Amazon for the front yard and to cover voids in the backyard.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:41 PM   #1031

Watched DD's law school graduation by ZOOM today. I won't embarrass the school by naming them, but it was a sorry excuse for a commencement - many technical issues (including a limit of 500 attendees for a class of 200, which they don't seem to have realized until the limit was reached) and they didn't even read out the names of the graduates. Fortunately, some of her classmates decided to arrange an unofficial ceremony outdoors this afternoon, and almost half of her class will participate along with several professors. Good for them!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:50 PM   #1032

Tossed several items in our garage, including cutting up a cracked plastic garbage can with tin snips so it would fit into the wheeled trash bin. Cleaned the ceiling fan on our screened-in patio and installed new LED bulbs. Didn't notice how dirty it was until I was up there.

Making a donation run to to the Habitat store as soon as I finish lunch and a Zoom call.
Out of Steam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:58 PM   #1033
Moderator Emeritus

Golf with friends, then lunch at cracker barrel.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:07 PM   #1034
Administrator

Now that we are fully vaccinated, the young wife and I gave blood for the first time in over a year. As I was drinking juice and eating some cookies after the donation, I suddenly noticed that blood was pouring down my arm. They rebandaged me and it stopped. I wasn't concerned about the extra blood loss, but it sure did make a mess on my clothes, the table, the chair and the floor. I have given blood over 80 times and this is the first time that has happened to me.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:38 PM   #1035

Yesterday morning DW noticed a screen on the screened-in back porch was pushed in. We didn't have any high winds recently, and it would have taken a good-sized bird, like a goose, at cruise speed to have done that. Anyway, yesterday was set aside for flying R/C airplanes so today's task was fix the screen. I already had the screen material and aluminum channel from past fixes but I needed the rubber spline material. Since I had to pick up a couple of prescriptions and Home Depot is close to the drugstore that simplified things. Took about an hour (okay, I dragged my butt) to fix it.

Later we saw who we think are the culprit(s). The younger next-door kid and his friend were kicking a ball around in the backyard and it was a size and weight that would do the damage. Kind of disappointing that he didn't own up to it (heck, I put a softball through a neighbor's window once, but I told them I did it, so I would have understood). Anyway, total cost was a tad over $25 for the spline material, a tool to put it in with, and a couple other small things while I was there. And DW continues to believe that I can fix anything.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:15 PM   #1036
Moderator Emeritus

Went for a run. Did some yard work. Then started up my lawn sprinkler system for the first time this year. A few buried sprinkler heads and one malfunctioning zone.

First time for a complete zone breakdown. Electrical relay buzzes and shuts down within a few seconds after starting. Probable bad valve or loose/ broken wiring. Got some fittings to bypass the valve and will fix tomorrow.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:23 PM   #1037
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
after the donation, I suddenly noticed that blood was pouring down my arm. They rebandaged me and it stopped. I wasn't concerned about the extra blood loss, but it sure did make a mess on my clothes, the table, the chair and the floor. I have given blood over 80 times and this is the first time that has happened to me.

Next month I donate my 192nd pint (24 gallons). All those donations I have never had a leaker afterwards. I do switch arms every donation so each vein has twice as long (4 months instead of 2) to recover from the needle stick.
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #1038
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We just finished dinner, and took a walk around the neighborhood as we usually do. Darn, it's hot, so we agreed to cut the walk short.

Came back home and checked on a nearby micro weatherstation. Temperature of 98F, with low humidity of 9%, should feel like 92F. I dunno. It felt like 110F.

It's a sign of getting old, when your comfort zone narrows down to just 70F to 85F. The end must be near.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #1039

Well into 2nd part. Just tile refinishing to go. This is actually fun 20210514_155106.jpeg
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:46 PM   #1040

Finally (well, almost) got serious about spending a day with DW to go through "sh^t" and get rid of things responsively as we downsize from a 17 year ownership of a 3700 sf home and plan to sell it and move to our 1800 sf 2nd home full time next spring. A neighboring town is having a "recycle" collection day tomorrow and is willing to take a bunch of stuff that we were struggling to find non-landfill options for. We are trying to completely vacate and "stage" the 2nd floor (we have a 1st floor master) as a first step of really making a dent of all of the stuff we need to get rid of. Target is the end of June, includes new carpet installation and a lot of painting. I am retired, but DW is working until early May '22.