Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-02-2021, 08:38 PM   #1161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought the sails on Amazon. The post, rope, and hardware such as eyehooks, masonry anchor points, turnbuckles, etc... are bought at the local Home Depot.

PS. I learned to tie the Reever knot out of this work. Will see if I can still remember it a week from now.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2021, 04:41 AM   #1162
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I bought the sails on Amazon. The post, rope, and hardware such as eyehooks, masonry anchor points, turnbuckles, etc... are bought at the local Home Depot.

PS. I learned to tie the Reever knot out of this work. Will see if I can still remember it a week from now.
Is your hardware stainless steel? (probably not needed in Az)

And do you take them down nightly or only when there is a storm?

DW wants a big umbrella for our deck, but I think a sail would work better.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:54 AM   #1163
gone traveling

Made a trip to the beach with my adult daughter. I'm doing self PT on my shoulder while in the water, more enjoyable then in the house. She got some sunbathing in. Then we both put on mask and snorkel and swam the rock wall jetty looking at the fish.
I bought a season pass to get into the state park and swim, so I plan on going enough this summer to save more than I spent on the pass!
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:01 AM   #1164
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

This is something I would need to be able to do fairly easy. Wind storms can be an issue here, and would like a setup for easy down easy up, if that is an option.

Thanks NW-Bound.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #1165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
This is something I would need to be able to do fairly easy. Wind storms can be an issue here, and would like a setup for easy down easy up, if that is an option.

Thanks NW-Bound.
Stainless steel rope is not that expensive, and I would have used it. However, I was given a 1000' roll of 5/32 nylon rope, which is high-quality stuff the same as parachute cord but heavier. The rope was used in an industrial application, but the roll was discarded for some reasons.

After keeping it for years, I now have a use for it. The rope is quite strong, but I quadruple it to be safe (I have a lot of rope). In contrast to cheaper cords made of polypropylene that would not last one month under this harsh sun, nylon rope is supposed to be UV resistant. Will see how it holds up.

The mounting is semi-permanent. The sails are reasonably big, and it takes two persons to stretch them across the pool, which is 17' x 35'. Some anchor points are as high as 12' off the ground, and stretching the ropes to the mounting point while on the ladder could easily pull me and the ladder backwards.

The intention is to leave them there the entire summer, and to take them down in fall. We do have windstorms here, and I will see how the set up holds up. The sails are shielded somewhat from the wind by the two-story house, and the block fence.

PS. Speaking of shade umbrellas, I have lost a few of them when the wind suddenly broke out and toppled them. The sails flapped around quite a bit when I had a windy day recently, but looked safer. They are quite light, and stretch a bit under tension. I worry more about the anchors being pulled from their mounting points.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #1166

Thanks NW.

Went to check on goldens this morning early. Going to be a hot day for us for this early in the year, and still dry.

They are getting bigger and one likes the camera and the other one stays down almost all the time. Mom and Dad have another food source for them now, and looks like a pheasant on back side of nest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7272 (2).jpg (67.7 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7247 (2).jpg (68.6 KB, 168 views)
Old 06-03-2021, 02:39 PM   #1167
Give me a forum ...

I've been up for the last 2 days with a sick 13yo dog. It started 11pm two nights ago and she's finally keeping things inside her.

In the meantime I had my hearing tested and met with a PA for an ENT regarding dizziness. I was really surprised my hearing tested as good as it did, I spent 10 years in and around sawmills where hearing protection wasn't strictly enforced. I really liked the PA, despite being masked her eyes said I could relax. In the end she thinks my dizziness is related to allergies and how I'm treating them. I got a good plan of action and despite paying out of network it was worth it.

Last night I was up with the dog most of the night, spent the night in a recliner taking care of her. She's not much for being close but she spent the night next to me. I'd talked to the vet's office last night and they told me to be there at 7:30 but they insisted on a parvo test before we could come in. Thankfully it was negative and they gave me something to help her belly. I didn't ask for bloodwork as I think we figured out she had gotten into some recently seeded grass seed that was treated with weed and feed. Directions claim its petsafe but it's the only thing new in her environment. Hopefully she'll be able to sleep tonight so I can.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:11 PM   #1168

Lots of rain the last couple of days, then the sun came out. Our back yard (lots of big trees) is now home to 147 trillion cicadas, by actual count. Wow! They waited 17 years for this and they're livin' it up!
Old 06-03-2021, 03:40 PM   #1169

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The soil in this foothill lot is rocky. I used a 10-lb bar to break and loosen the rocks. It took 1-1/2 hour of digging, and I finally hit a rock that would not budge. Had wanted a 24"-deep hole, but I guess 20" deep would have to do.
Last year I bought one of these jackhammers from Home Depot. What a gift to myself! Given the price and construction it is clearly not meant for commercial use but it's terrific for a homeowner. The "soil" around here is more rocks than dirt and to say it is difficult to dig in is an understatement. I ended up getting this spade bit for it and for a later job bought the tamper bit. It was also available on eBay for a couple bucks less (about $5) but I bought everything from Home Depot because if there are any problems with it they'll accept the return with no hassle, and I wouldn't have to ship it. So far it works great and if it ever does break I'll buy another in a heartbeat. It does in 20 minutes the digging that took me four hours with a heavy digging stick. There are a bunch of different models of this that Home Depot carries.

Today I mowed the front part of the yard and was thinking of doing the back part too but the rain made that decision easy. So I went inside and DW gave me a haircut (she's getting better with practice) and putzed around for several hours setting up the gyroscopic stability systems on several R/C airplanes. I won't know for sure if I was successful until I can test fly them but I'm optimistic. It really is some pretty neat stuff especially after they get "dialed in" for that particular airplane.

I also have a new student pilot for R/C airplanes, he's just ordered a new airplane, joined the club, and has flown a couple of times with a different club member. He and I are both retired so that makes scheduling easier than with the other poor guy, who is still gainfully employed. And usually during the week there's no one else at the field so there are no distractions for a student pilot. I'm looking forward to it, I taught at the other club years ago and enjoyed it.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:51 PM   #1170

^ One of those would be handy for driving sand points/shallow wells. I have had people tell me they just made an attachment so it could be used on 1 1/4 pipe. Have to drive about 23 feet deep and driving them with a post driver is a job. I know I have driven a few. Lol
Old 06-03-2021, 04:29 PM   #1171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Last year I bought one of these jackhammers from Home Depot.
That looks great!
The only time I ever had to use a jackhammer was about ten years ago and I rented a big commercial one for the day at Home Depot. What a workout! But it sure did the job.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:00 PM   #1172
Moderator Emeritus

7:00 am - coffee with ROMEO group

10:00 am - annual physical

12:30 pm - Golf with friends.

Then the rains came.....but we got the golf match in!
Old 06-03-2021, 07:23 PM   #1173

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Lots of rain the last couple of days, then the sun came out. Our back yard (lots of big trees) is now home to 147 trillion cicadas, by actual count. Wow! They waited 17 years for this and they're livin' it up!
Old 06-03-2021, 09:52 PM   #1174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

You need to work fast and hard to catch them, and store them to eat for the next 17 years.

Cicadas have been called "shrimp of the land", and the FDA has released a warning that people who are allergic to shrimp should not eat cicadas. No joke!

For an account by someone who feasted on cicadas, read this: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...ushers/619059/.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:01 PM   #1175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Last year I bought one of these jackhammers from Home Depot...
Looks like a good tool. However, it's only 24" long. To dig a post hole 24" or more deep, you would need a much longer bit.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:29 AM   #1176
Recycles dryer sheets

I spent the last two days truck shopping. In todays market and times it can be an exhausting experience. I finally found what I was looking for and purchased it yesterday. I was originally looking at used but when I got to the dealer to look at the one they had posted the sales guy ask if I would be interested in new. I said sure if it is the same price as this one. well it turned out to be only $1k more with full new warrenty than the other certified pre owned. No brainer. The reason for the trade is the 5th wheel camper we are looking at would be over weight for my present one. As we were test driving it we got a severe thunderstorm warning on our phones, and it hit hard as we got back to the dealership. We finished up the paperwork and headed home to cleanout my truck. This morning we are heading back to turn in my ine and pick up the new Ram 2500 HD. From there we are going to the camper dealership and get the deal sealed on the new camper. Blow that dough! LOL
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:56 PM   #1177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
/// This morning we are heading back to turn in my ine and pick up the new Ram 2500 HD. From there we are going to the camper dealership and get the deal sealed on the new camper. Blow that dough! LOL
A new truck, plus a new 5th wheel? You would want to post this on the "Blow the dough" thread.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:02 PM   #1178
Give me a forum ...

Ah, happiness is an AC that works. In this 107F temperature.

Last night, after I recharged the ACs with R-401a, within an hour, my wife complained about being cold.

The minisplit in the bedroom was set at 78F. However, its mounting location is high, at 12 ft due to the vaulted ceiling. And as hot air rises, if it's 78F up high, then it may be 74F at the bed level, and that feels cold.

Here in the dry climate, even 80F can feel very comfortable. In the past, I set the high-mounted minisplits at 82F. With the freon leakage, the cooling capacity is gradually reduced, and I kept lowering the setting and the ACs were running in vain and failed to keep up.

With the AC operation restored to normal, I slowly remember how it was when they were working right.

PS. I used an infrared thermometer to check temperature of the AC outlet. It was at the low 50s. It was wonderful.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:15 PM   #1179

Mowed the back half of the yard, and the cicadas that have been in hiding for the last 17 years finally have made their appearance. And with a vengeance! When mowing I was regularly getting smacked by errant cicadas going to... wherever it was they were going to.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #1180

NW >> we had a very warm few days and tomorrow will be also. Our AC isn't used much and I would say 5 to 6 times a year is about all it runs. Then it only runs when it calls to run at the temp we have it set to run. We had close to 100 today yesterday was mid 90's and tomorrow mid to mid/high 90's. I did set AC to come on today at 78 degrees and it hasn't came on yet today. Now things are cooling down nice for the day, I don't see it running at all today yet or tomorrow either.