What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but I read on the forums that the people who live in high-altitude places such as in Colorado have to make adjustments just as using propellers with larger diameter and lower pitch. This can be problematic when the larger diameter propeller is prone to ground strikes, which then leads to taller landing gear, which in turn changes angle of attack on landing & takeoff, so nothing is simple. They may be smaller, but they are airplanes and all the rules of aerodynamics still apply.

BTW, check out this video of the wake turbulence and wingtip vortices from a paper airplane. One doesn't normally think about such things with paper airplanes and models, but of course they do occur there as well. The video runs a bit less than six minutes, the engineers will find it interesting.

If you want to dispense with the explanation start at 3:24 where the neat stuff starts:

Good stuff!
Recall many times flying out of Anchorage to Cold Bay in Beachcraft Bonanza, Pilot telling ATC, will wait a bit after the Heavies have left. Send some DC3s, Otters first. Did not want to get caught in the wake turbulence. Even after 10 minutes or so it was still bouncy after takeoff, even in calm winds. Fully loaded 747s left huge wake turbulence.

Last 2 days actually for me . I got out my pressure washer with the driveway attachment. Started at the top near road and proceeded down the hill. Every thing was going good until about 1/2 wy down the connector where the attachment plugs into the pressure gun started spewing water everywhere . Tried "fixing it to no avail so I headed to Lowes. Got there and finally found someone to help me, showed him a picture of where the thing was leaking and he got me the fitting. I headed back home and guess what ---the fitting was the wrong size,grrr, back in truck to Lowes and went back to the section where the fittings were. No one around again so I looked and figured out the one he gave me was in the wrong bin, and they were out of the one I needed. Left ther an across town to Home Depot,same story there,they were also out of the one I needed. I then headed to Ace hardware on the east side of town and they had 2 of them on shelf, bought one and headed home to replace it. By then the 4 hr job has turned into a 7 hr. job because of the running all over town,so I decide to wait until Friday to finish the job. I got started at 8:00 am and finished by 10:00 am, when DW suggests "since you have it out" go ahead and pressure wash the deck in prep for stain! So I did that and now I have another project to tackle next week. Life is grand!

Good stuff!
Recall many times flying out of Anchorage to Cold Bay in Beachcraft Bonanza, Pilot telling ATC, will wait a bit after the Heavies have left. Send some DC3s, Otters first. Did not want to get caught in the wake turbulence. Even after 10 minutes or so it was still bouncy after takeoff, even in calm winds. Fully loaded 747s left huge wake turbulence.

Wasn't that a very big problem with the Airbus 380? Other planes had to avoid getting near the thing. And they had to wait longer to use the same runway to take off.

Today was clean out the dryer vent day. Probably should have done it sooner, but it wasn’t too bad. That also meant cleaning behind the washer and dryer. That wasn’t too bad either. We’ve been here 5 years. I could see waiting until we’ve been here another 5 years, but my goal would be to do it again 2 years from now. I also redid the vent piping. When they installed the dryer, they used a big piece of flexible vent pipe and then just shoved it back against the wall. It had a tight bend in it plus a few bends/crushes from pushing it against the wall. I cut out all but a little of the pipe and bought an elbow. Now the flex pipe is only about 1 foot and it basically straight. I also made the connection just before I pushed it back the final few inches. That created the straightest and shortest pipe from the dryer to the wall. From the wall, it’s all solid piping and goes out through the attic to the roof. I’m happy with the job and figured I saved at least a couple hundred doing it myself.

Stained half the fence. Started to sweat a bit so went inside to cool off. Was 99 degrees, now 104 and rising. Went out for take out sushi lunch, supper in fridge, I'm done for the day!

Bike rides, picked some service berry, dug my first potatoes from the garden. Got about 16 egg to golf ball size spuds. Going to have a small steak and fried fresh spuds for suppah. About 82 here today and no breeze and sunny.

Today, I decided to startup my wine club membership at the local wine store. I had stopped it during Covid for several reasons including needing the cash to help out my children who were hit hard by job loss and school closure (read: unexpected child care expenses), but now it's time to get it started again. Their wine bar is the closest thing in my community to the environment of the Cheers TV show.

Had a nice comfy day today, went flying R/C airplanes and teaching my R/C student. He's making steady progress, now working on approaches to landings. I also made a video taken from one of the airplanes and will post it to youtube later. Oh, and the high was 80°F.

..... On the way home, we stopped at a Cracker Barrel restaurant and had the meatloaf, mashed potatoes and a veggie $5.99 lunch special.

I drove to Cheyenne to pick up the last of my interior doors at Menards. Got back home today. Nice looking doors, but it took three trips and a delivery to get them all. It was HOT! My old plow truck does not have air conditioning, but it does have an 8 foot bed. I stopped overnight at my DD and family's house on the way up and back. We went to two local brew pub type places. Both nights the price was over $100. That was for three adults and a 15 month old. Maybe we could find a Cracker Barrel close by??

^^^ Google says "no Cracker Barrel in Cheyenne". The nearest one is in Loveland, CO. There are 4 of them in CO, and they are all on I-25.

Out of curiosity, I looked, and saw that AZ has 14 of them. What's the story here?

PS. Utah has 4. Idaho has 2. New Mexico has 3. Oregon has 5. Texas has 20, but it is a much larger state than AZ.

I think this makes a good story for an investigative reporter.

Last edited:
^^^ Google says "no Cracker Barrel in Cheyenne". The nearest one is in Loveland, CO. There are 4 of them in CO, and they are all on I-25.

Out of curiosity, I looked, and saw that AZ has 14 of them. What's the story here?

PS. Utah has 4. Idaho has 2. New Mexico has 3. Oregon has 5. Texas has 20, but it is a much larger state than AZ.

I think this makes a good story for an investigative reporter.

There's a Cracker Barrel in St George, Utah.. told you it was special...:dance:

I started a little 'government" job for one of my co-workers today. He had the owner's blessing for the use of the equipment, and will pay me cash for my part. I stripped most of his back yard sod and hauled it away in two truck loads, and picked up 11 tons of blue lynch creek gravel by 1 PM.
I am regrading his yard, and making a driveway and parking spot for his new travel trailer. I will also demolish and remove a truckload of concrete slab and sidewalk tomorrow, and haul at least 5 loads of dirt around to the front.

There's a Cracker Barrel in St George, Utah.. told you it was special...:dance:

I have not been to a Cracker Barrel for a while. Just looked and saw one just a few miles from me.

I have read that Cracker Barrel allows RV overnight parking, but in all my trips have not had the occasion to do that.

We stopped at a Cracker Barrel in NM for dinner on one of our Az-Il trips. It was Sunday and they were the only place open. We should have kept driving.

We stopped at a Cracker Barrel in NM for dinner on one of our Az-Il trips. It was Sunday and they were the only place open. We should have kept driving.
I have never understood the attraction of Cracker Barrel. The only time I have been to one was a number of years ago because we were with some folks that wanted to go. I could swear many of the vegetables came out of a can.

Cheers!

I have never understood the attraction of Cracker Barrel. The only time I have been to one was a number of years ago because we were with some folks that wanted to go. I could swear many of the vegetables came out of a can.

Cheers!

I was raised on canned vegetables. Didn't hardly know there was an alternative until later in life. (Canned asparagus was especially disgusting, but I ate it.) :)

Cheers!

Never been to one but I have heard of the name before.

I was raised on canned vegetables. Didn't hardly know there was an alternative until later in life. (Canned asparagus was especially disgusting, but I ate it.) :)

Not all canned veggies are bad. Canned tomatoes are good because the fruits are processed at their peak, instead of being picked green to allow shipping time to the market.

I have never encountered canned asparagus in any dish but Asian asparagus crab soup, and I like it.

They serve mainly home-style non-fancy dishes. I guess people often want some comfort food.

I recall reading in one of Anthony Bourdain's books that a place that NYC chefs often went to meet after work was Kentucky Fried Chicken!

And speaking of restaurants serving food out of a can, you've got to go to wholesale places that sell to restaurants to see what's offered. There's such a Costco in Phoenix. They do allow regular members to go in, but that store caters mainly to restaurateurs.

They sell a whole lot more than just canned veggies. You can buy stuff there, and open a kitchen-less restaurant. All you need is a microwave. :)

OK, OK, I am exaggerating. But there's so much stuff that's already prepped, in order for restaurant cooks to save time in the kitchen. You can get meat portions already prepped, seasoned, marinated, flour-dusted, what-have-you, ready to cook. There are all kinds of sauces already done, all you have to do is to pour it out, etc...

Last edited:
I got burned out on Cracker Barrel during a training class in the 1990's. Three of us went to the class, paid for with a DOJ grant and it included the hotel (Motel 6) and three meals a day at the restaurant next door, a Cracker Barrel. For a week. Since then I've eaten one meal at a Cracker Barrel, and that only because I was stuck in a carload of others who all wanted to go there.

Today I started assembly on a new R/C glider, a 2.4 meter Phoenix 2400. This will be interesting because I've never flown a glider this large before, and there are some aspects of the radio configuration that I've never done before either. And transport may be an issue too as the bed on the pickup truck is only 6.5 feet and the sailplane is 7.8 feet so obviously at least one wing is going to have to come off.

In the world of R/C hobbyists this is more than enough justification for buying a bigger truck.:LOL:

Attachments

• Phoenix-2400.jpg
    Phoenix-2400.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 52
Got a hearing test today at Costco. Results were that I am borderline with high frequency loss, so they gave me a pair of loaners to try for a few days to see if I think I want to go that way. The test was 90 minutes and was very thorough. The hearing aids are $1400 a pair and are amazingly sophisticated with bluetooth adjustment and rechargeable batteries with touchless charging.

I was impressed by Costco's service, no hard sell and surprisingly low price.

Went running with AirPods for the first time. Great not having phone bouncing around. Assembled and installed bike rack on my truck. Picked up supplies for my dock reno project and started demo.

The young wife and I spent over three hours working out in our community garden plot this morning. We had been in Maine for two weeks, and it was a veritable jungle when we returned, what with the hot days and abundant rain. I expect we'll be out there again tomorrow morning getting it back into shape. Then I have to get to work on preserving everything we just harvested, so I see a few hard days of canning in my immediate future.

Typical Sunday. Went over the hill for lunch with my father in law. Had my usual, take out black garlic ramen, wife had an omelette and pops had a sandwich.

Temp down to 95, gonna be 67 tonight, heat wave has passed. Now drinking beer and tequila - :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom