Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 10:57 AM   #1201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW and I have been switching over to battery powered lawn tools like hedge trimmer, weed whipper, etc. Since I already had a bunch of Ryobi 18 volt batteries for my drills and impact driver we kept to that brand. I soon realized these lawn tools gobble up a battery a lot faster than a drill.

The other day I was in Home Depot and they have a sale where one can buy two of the big 4 amp hour batteries with a charger for $99 and get a choice of a free tool. I've been looking for a battery powered pruning saw but they were all out of the mini chain saws so I bought a battery powered reciprocating saw. No sooner had I ordered the reciprocating saw when the mini chain saws were back in stock, so I ordered that, too. I'll return the first saw. Ryobi brand is not premium, but I've found it good enough for my usage.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2021, 01:02 PM   #1202
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
DW and I have been switching over to battery powered lawn tools like hedge trimmer, weed whipper, etc. Since I already had a bunch of Ryobi 18 volt batteries for my drills and impact driver we kept to that brand. I soon realized these lawn tools gobble up a battery a lot faster than a drill.

The other day I was in Home Depot and they have a sale where one can buy two of the big 4 amp hour batteries with a charger for $99 and get a choice of a free tool. I've been looking for a battery powered pruning saw but they were all out of the mini chain saws so I bought a battery powered reciprocating saw. No sooner had I ordered the reciprocating saw when the mini chain saws were back in stock, so I ordered that, too. I'll return the first saw. Ryobi brand is not premium, but I've found it good enough for my usage.
I bought a Ryobi combo kit a few weeks ago (drill, impact driver, reciprocating saw, circular saw, oscillating tool) and it's worked perfectly well. It came with a Bluetooth speaker as part of a promotion. I already had a Ryobi week whacker so now I have 2 chargers. Then I bought a 2 knockoff 4 amp batteries online to extend the run time. And then they had a sale on a weed whacker so I bought one for the cabin.

I leave 1 small Ryobi battery and 1 large knockoff battery at the cabin with a charger, the Bluetooth speaker and a weed whacker. I keep a charger, battery, and weed whacker in the garage at home for year work, and all the rest of the tools, a charger, and the rest of the batteries in the carrying bag.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:40 PM   #1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
...but this is post number 7000 and I want to see if I get another star...
Extra stars are on backorder. Like everything else these days....
Old 06-08-2021, 02:09 PM   #1204
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Extra stars are on backorder. Like everything else these days....

You are 15K posts ahead of me and we have the same stars, so I guess I'll be waiting a loooong time.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:29 PM   #1205
Administrator

Today, we ate inside a restaurant for the first time since March 16, 2020.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #1206
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sad day, we put our dog to sleep.

She had no appetite for a few days and then started eating again but it didn't last. We tried boiled chicken and rice, the advice from the vet on another episode. She was losing weight and had no energy when normally she was a very enthusiastic dog. Just not herself. We took her in to the vet and after some testing he called to tell us that she had advanced kidney failure. And it's terminal. We can do comfort treatments but she isn't going to last long.

DH and I had a good cry and then I went in for the euthanasia. Quiet and gentle and kind. The vet and his tech were so helpful, explained every step and offered to stay or leave, whatever I wanted. I talked to her through the whole thing, took the time I needed. We all know that part of loving a pet is letting go when it's time. It's just hard to accept.

We adopted her from the local Humane Society in Dec 2017. She was a stray picked up in Chattanooga, TN and brought to north east Ohio for adoption. They guessed she was at least 4 years old.

Indoors, she was a sweetheart but outside she was very protective and reacted wildly to distractions like bicycles, pedestrians, cars and especially other dogs. She loved our fenced in yard where she could run and patrol and watch for intruders. Loved the mailman, hated the UPS truck. She didn't like dog toys but she loved her rawhide rings and her BED! She slept deep, on her back with all 4 paws in the air. Sometimes she snored.

You were a very good girl, Talia. We are going to miss you for a long time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71178A92-293E-4C81-A605-076A359C68D7.jpg (467.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 06-08-2021, 06:24 PM   #1207
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Sad day, we put our dog to sleep.

Those are the worst days, have done it 4 times now...... but I will always have a dog (have 2 now). All of ours have always told us "it was time" when they stopped eating. The hardest days. They are there for us all those years.... we have to be there for them in the end. Cherish the memories.... they never truly leave you.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:30 PM   #1209

Thank you. I added a picture of her from last summer.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:34 PM   #1210

Went into the big city this morning for 1) a COVID test, 2) an appointment with "hair" and 3) a wardrobe fitting. I have been hired by a casting agency for the use of one of my vintage cars, and as a "background" (what they used to call "extras", really means non union actor, I found out). It is for an HBO Max series and shooting is through September. I have "work" on this Thursday with my car. At this point, I have no idea where, or when, or what I will be doing excatly. Or if I will be used/needed subsequently. I know I am getting paid something as I signed at least 3 forms today (one IRS) with my SSN, but I have no idea what. Nor do I care. Getting gravy money is fun always, but if I get nothing, I'll still have fun.

And I told the very nice guy trimming my hair today to meet the styles of the era of the series (and he said that he would be "maintaining" this look on me throughout the shooting) that he was the first person to cut my hair since 1994.

Besides me.

I have cut my own hair for the last 27 years.

This should be fun, I'll divulge more details and pics as it rolls on...
Old 06-08-2021, 06:43 PM   #1211

Quote:

Wow, such a pretty pup. Fits her name too......
Old 06-08-2021, 07:08 PM   #1212
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You were a very good girl, Talia. We are going to miss you for a long time!

I’m so sorry for your loss.

When we put down one of our German Shepherds a few years ago, Mr. Blue was holding her in his arms when the vet gave her the injection. It was a little while before he realized she was gone and I’ve never seen him sob so deeply. He swore he could never have another dog.

But of course we did

“Dogs lives are too short, their only fault really.” Agnes Sligh Turnbull
Old 06-09-2021, 10:05 AM   #1213
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Cute pup. Sorry for the loss of your fur baby. They enrich our lives so much!
Old 06-09-2021, 10:05 AM   #1214
Give me a forum ...

Today was hair cut day, also putting up the new drapes recently ordered.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #1215
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday was my 73rd birthday, , so Frank treated me to a birthday lunch at our favorite restaurant. Then he gave me a terrific mp3 of my favorite songs that he created. What a great gift; free (and he's on a tight budget), but something I love having and playing repeatedly. I abandoned my diet for a day and ate whatever I wanted for a change. My DD posted her Happy Birthday wishes to me on Facebook. All in all, a great birthday. Hoping for many more to come.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-09-2021, 11:10 AM   #1216
Give me a forum ...

Glued the felt feet on my carbonator cabinet project and measured the cover board. Going out to cut that and then put the final coat of varnish on. You know, make sawdust first, wait until it blows away and then put on the sticky stuff -

Preparing for a visit from SIL & BIL wifey is all excited and cleaning up a storm. I still have to hang a closet door and tidy up my office so we can present the proper image.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #1217
Recycles dryer sheets

Mowed my lawn and then went over and mowed son’s lawn. It’s really hot and dry here now so in the last week mowing went from every 3 days to once a week.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #1218
Give me a forum ...

Been up since 5 picking up and cleaning up after a bad wind storm last night. I lost some shingles, so had to replace and shingles that tore away. I had one bundle of extra of the same color and used the whole bundle. Went to see if I can get that same color and they said, they don't carry that color any more. Lol

Oh well!! I will try to find a bundle that is close to the same same and buy one. Roof is only about 7 years old so a lot of life left in the asphalt shingles. Finally stopped to get something to eat.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:43 PM   #1219
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear that street. Hope you find something close to your original!
Old 06-09-2021, 12:52 PM   #1220
Give me a forum ...

Thanks JRon.

That roofing and working like a slave made me tired. Lol Now off to get the grass mowed I knew I should of done it yesterday.
Closed Thread