Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #1241
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yesterday was my 73rd birthday, , so Frank treated me to a birthday lunch at our favorite restaurant. Then he gave me a terrific mp3 of my favorite songs that he created. What a great gift; free (and he's on a tight budget), but something I love having and playing repeatedly. I abandoned my diet for a day and ate whatever I wanted for a change. My DD posted her Happy Birthday wishes to me on Facebook. All in all, a great birthday. Hoping for many more to come.
Happy Happy Birthday to you!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2021, 09:12 AM   #1242

coffee with my siblings and spouses, then later today DGS will be here for the weekend. He graduates from preschool today, ceremony, celebration and all. :-) (didn't know they did that kind of thing!)
Old 06-11-2021, 09:52 AM   #1243
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DW's niece had a baby girl this morning, third child after two boys, now ages 4 and 6. The new addition's name is Nova. I had to duck and run when I asked DW "Why'd they name her after an old Chevy....?"

Had a friend with a son named Miles, I once ask, didn't like the name kilometers?
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:21 PM   #1244
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
It is always interesting what all have done. Some days, some happy day, some days of frustration and days of progress.

Thanks for sharing your days and interesting times.
I enjoy doing it, though the last two days have been in the frustrating category. Things seem to be working out though.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:33 PM   #1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
We took the kids (14 and 17) hiking in Arches National Park yesterday and today we're headed to newspaper Rock and Mesa Verde. We've had a hard time deciding what to do- there are SO many things we want to see. We've been thinking about buying a 5th wheel in a few years and staying several months out here. This is another tick in the "for" column on that idea.
That's a beautiful area. I really like the whole Moab scene.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:51 PM   #1246
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
That's a beautiful area. I really like the whole Moab scene.
We do, too - so much so that DW and I had Google take a selfie of us on our last visit: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5748...7i13312!8i6656

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:03 PM   #1247

Spent most of morning shingling and picking up debris from a wind storm. We have got about 3 inches of rain in these last two storms which is a life saver. Hail and 70 plus mile an hour winds did a number in the area. Some people are closing in on 10 hours with out power and some it will be many days till they see power.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:15 PM   #1248
Administrator

I'm really glad you got some rain, as I know it has been a real concern this year. Sorry about the wind damage.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:31 PM   #1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We do, too - so much so that DW and I had Google take a selfie of us on our last visit: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5748...7i13312!8i6656
Oh, very nice, REWahoo!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:55 PM   #1250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'm really glad you got some rain, as I know it has been a real concern this year. Sorry about the wind damage.
Thank you for your kindness!

Lighting started a couple of prairie fires the afternoon of some one of the storms. The rain help put both out or it would of been a very long battle for fire fighters.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:38 PM   #1251
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well technically, it is what I did today as I got home from the event at 12:10 am this morning.

A coupla few years ago I registered my vintage cars with a local big city casting agency for possible use in film. I got pings from them from time to time, but nothing ever materialized. Just last week, I got an e-mail that one of my cars might be needed for a shoot this week. I'll pause here and say that the agency is VERY specific on participants not posting on social media, or other forums about the productions specifics, locations, etc., else you will not get paid or used again. So I can't say what the production or location is. On Tues this week I drove into the "big city" for a COVID test, a hair cut, and a wardrobe fitting. And yesterday was live shoot day. I towed my '57 VW not quite an hours drive away knowing the shoot might end well after dark. It was a fun day, but lots of waiting around as I expected. I was in 2 shoots as a driver in my car. The first was in the evening, and I circled a small block/building with 4 other vintage cars, timed to a scene on an adjacent sidewalk with simulated rain. People scampering on a sidewalk in a downpour. We did 5-6 takes I think. I had a walkie talkie on a channel with a director in the car. Earlier I was told to park on the side of street in the scene, but after that told that the director loved my car and wanted it moving in the scene, and in front of the others in the shot. I had the only non-American car there (a '57 VW Beetle). Anyway, I could go on for pages about the whole experience, but I digress. The production is actually a TV series, so there are filming opps available to me throughout the summer. I could never be able to do this if I wasn't FIRE'ed!!!

The second shoot was in a scene which involved a 60s city bus and we were just passing traffic. It was after dark, but the scene was lit by some huge lighting on vertical lifts. I was flanked by Ford Thunderbirds an a beautiful 1956 Chrysler Windsor. A bit exhausting and chaotic, but really fun. Will be interesting to see what happens throughout the summer. The director liked my car!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210609_171914[1].jpg (777.0 KB, 53 views)
Old 06-12-2021, 09:11 AM   #1252

We walked to the beach to watch the sunrise.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:30 AM   #1253

We're dipping our toes into the outside world and had our second excursion yesterday. Went to an exhibit at the Legion of Honor in SF. Fabulous in that capacity was at 25% or less and your didn't have to juggle to see the exhibits. Sad that it's due to Covid.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:12 PM   #1254

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Well technically, it is what I did today as I got home from the event at 12:10 am this morning.

A coupla few years ago I registered my vintage cars with a local big city casting agency for possible use in film. I got pings from them from time to time, but nothing ever materialized. Just last week, I got an e-mail that one of my cars might be needed for a shoot this week. I'll pause here and say that the agency is VERY specific on participants not posting on social media, or other forums about the productions specifics, locations, etc., else you will not get paid or used again. So I can't say what the production or location is. On Tues this week I drove into the "big city" for a COVID test, a hair cut, and a wardrobe fitting. And yesterday was live shoot day. I towed my '57 VW not quite an hours drive away knowing the shoot might end well after dark. It was a fun day, but lots of waiting around as I expected. I was in 2 shoots as a driver in my car. The first was in the evening, and I circled a small block/building with 4 other vintage cars, timed to a scene on an adjacent sidewalk with simulated rain. People scampering on a sidewalk in a downpour. We did 5-6 takes I think. I had a walkie talkie on a channel with a director in the car. Earlier I was told to park on the side of street in the scene, but after that told that the director loved my car and wanted it moving in the scene, and in front of the others in the shot. I had the only non-American car there (a '57 VW Beetle). Anyway, I could go on for pages about the whole experience, but I digress. The production is actually a TV series, so there are filming opps available to me throughout the summer. I could never be able to do this if I wasn't FIRE'ed!!!

The second shoot was in a scene which involved a 60s city bus and we were just passing traffic. It was after dark, but the scene was lit by some huge lighting on vertical lifts. I was flanked by Ford Thunderbirds an a beautiful 1956 Chrysler Windsor. A bit exhausting and chaotic, but really fun. Will be interesting to see what happens throughout the summer. The director liked my car!!!
Fun!! and Nice car!!
Old 06-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #1255

Got up early and for the first time in 4 days I didn't wake up to a yard full of branches and shingles tore of roof. I also woke to quite and no howling wind. Lol

I decided to pack in and check on eaglets and see if the last eaglet survived the last storm (90 MPH) winds. One had been blown out of nest on Tuesdays storm was only one left.

The last eaglet had survived the storm and got some pictures but I'm very saddened by the lost of the one little one.

Got a text my step granddaughter will be coming to spend the day with us so I hurried home to be with her.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:51 PM   #1256

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Based on your postings pretty much everyday in this thread, you might want to change your sig line.
Harley may have a point there.

Today I had thought my sole accomplishment today would be to install a condensate pump for the 2nd dehumidifier in the basement. We don't really need two, but we bought it after a dishwasher leak and since it's there we might as well use it. Or maybe we do need two since the other one never shuts off in summer months. Now they both do. Anyway, I was just starting on that when DW says "The computer is making a whining noise". Hmmm, that's never good.

Turns out it's not the computer, it's the UPS constantly whining. I guess it gave up on beeping when no one heard that because that's what it did when I cycled it. And it's flashing a code that says "FO2 see manual". Gee, that's informative. Anyway, that turned out to be needing new batteries so I went to the nearby battery store and got those, installed them, all was well, and went back to the condensate pump.

For once, that project held no surprises. I already had the tubing and connector to run the very short line from the dehumidifier to the pump, and I'd ordered a version of the pump that came with 20' of tubing for the outlet, which was plenty.

And I have every intention of doing nothing for the rest of the day.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:20 PM   #1257
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I log on from time to time to see how y'all are doing, but I've been a bit distracted and haven't posted much lately.

Got back today from my third trip to MO to see my dad.

The past couple of months dh and I have been dealing with dad's health issue. He's been diagnosed with cancer. It's in an early stage and doctors feel radiation is the best treatment. He will get treatment close to his home and fortunately, his nephew lives close by and will take him to his radiation therapy for the first two weeks or so. After that point, I may have to go back to MO and stay with him during the last few weeks.

My dad is 88 years old and is in good health otherwise, but I'm not sure he will be able to take 35 treatments. We shall see....
Old 06-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #1258
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I log on from time to time to see how y'all are doing, but I've been a bit distracted and haven't posted much lately.

Got back today from my third trip to MO to see my dad.

The past couple of months dh and I have been dealing with dad's health issue. He's been diagnosed with cancer. It's in an early stage and doctors feel radiation is the best treatment. He will get treatment close to his home and fortunately, his nephew lives close by and will take him to his radiation therapy for the first two weeks or so. After that point, I may have to go back to MO and stay with him during the last few weeks.

My dad is 88 years old and is in good health otherwise, but I'm not sure he will be able to take 35 treatments. We shall see....
I am so sorry to hear about your father's health situation!!! I am not religious so I can't send my prayers, but my best wishes and thoughts are definitely on the way. So glad he can get treatment close to home. I know this must be hard on you, so take care of yourself too. (hugs)

I had wondered where you were, but (mistakenly) thought that maybe you were looking for a break from all the COVID threads here, or some such thing.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:16 PM   #1259
Recycles dryer sheets

Went out on a bike ride with all three kids today. All live out of state (Nevada, Wisconsin & Ohio) and by coincidence all are in California this weekend. A very fun morning.

They all went out this afternoon to a friends house. While they were out I finished up the install on a new emergency whole house electrical generator. Only a matter of time until hot and dry summer winds kick up again and PG&E shuts down the power grid.

Gotta say itís nice being one of the few homes in the area with emergency backup power. When the grid is shut down friends and neighbors come on by for a bit of wifi, cool beverage, a recharge on cell phones and air conditioning.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:57 PM   #1260
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
... The past couple of months dh and I have been dealing with dad's health issue. He's been diagnosed with cancer. It's in an early stage and doctors feel radiation is the best treatment...

I wish you all well. I am no expert, but have had the impression that radiation treatment is usually nowhere as taxing as chemotherapy. Your dad may do just fine.