Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 12:22 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

drove my BIL to O'Hare to catch his plane back to San Jose, CA. the departure drop-off was essentially deserted.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2021, 07:14 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got my Economic Impact Payment Card in the mail today. I almost threw it out as it had a little window with some babble about how it was not a bill, etc that sounded like marketing trickery to get one to open the envelope.

Now, I need to figure out the easiest way to turn it into cash in my bank account. I guess I can take it to my credit union and have them work some magic to wring the cash out without any fees.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

I finally got the bidet that I ordered back in November from Costco. I must say that I like it. It is like having a tiny car wash for your butt.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:09 PM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sat outside in the nice weather with DW watching the birds at the feeder for several hours. Almost Paradise!
Old 01-13-2021, 04:42 PM   #125

Left the house at noon with five R/C airplanes in the back of the truck and spent the rest of the daylight hours at the R/C field. Flew all five airplanes multiple times and brought them all back home in the same condition I'd taken them. Two of them had never been flown before (they're new) and I had no surprises.

What was new was that three have an on-board altimeter with telemetry back to the transmitter with an automatic warning if the airplane exceeds 400 feet and I can get the current altitude at any time by pressing a button. This matters because there is a 400 foot "ceiling" at the R/C field, which is normal, but made more important because there is a full size airport only three miles away.

And I got an email that tomorrow I can get a COVID-19 vaccination! They just opened it up to people 70 and above. Finally, an advantage to being old!
Old 01-13-2021, 05:58 PM   #126

My 2nd grandson (the vegan) finally moved to his dad's after 2.5 months. I'd be fine with him here if (1) he cleaned up after himself including laundry (2) had any plans other than being 'an alternative musician on spotify' (3) helped cover his bills. But no. Now I fully realize that alot of that is because he's 19 (don't want to compare where I was at 19). But his brother was working, living independently, 2nd year college student, ramping up savings, and not borrowing for college (that came later as he owes 7800 after graduating in May 2020). I fully understand that some grow up slower but I also think some are enabled to grow up slower and my house was a rude awakening --- I don't do others laundry. I hate doing my own. We hugged and I wished him well as he went off in his dad's truck. He's happily off to his next 'adventure'

Then, I cleaned the house AGAIN (did it Monday), wash all those linens, and aired the place out (68°). I got my house back [emoji444][emoji444][emoji445][emoji444]
Old 01-13-2021, 06:20 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Fired up the kerosene heater I got for the sheds and was impressed. Lit fast, red hot in minutes, turn wick down and bask in the 10,000 BTU/hr radiant glow.

And hardly any kero stink. I mean it is kero and you do get a bit on shutdown, but it's not bad at all.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:15 AM   #128
Full time employment: Posting here.

Having an outing!

Ordered a power cable and other items from an auto parts store for pickup. It's a bit over an hour to drive to get there. And I was soo exited. Obviously the stay at home procedure needed a break!

Now I've stopped to charge my Tesla before returning home. I deliberately unplugged the car at home so that I needed to do this. Feels like I am on a holiday!

I have a view, a cup of coffee (brought with me from home) and my laptop for entertainment. Or I can watch some Netflix on the dash screen. What a luxury!
Old 01-14-2021, 01:50 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
And I got an email that tomorrow I can get a COVID-19 vaccination! They just opened it up to people 70 and above. Finally, an advantage to being old!
Well, that was a bust. It was supposed to start at 10:00 and end at 6:00 so one would think they had enough to last at least half that time. Ha! I left the house at 9:30 for a ten-minute drive in normal times and knew when I hit the main access road this wasn't going well. Traffic was backed up for blocks and when I got to the turn onto the road where the clinic was the police had that blocked off. With knowledge of the side streets I got to within a block of the building, only to be told by another officer that they had no more vaccine and were at capacity.

Okay, I won't make the mistake of believing anything from the county health department again.

I'll wait until it's available at the doc's office or one of the local pharmacies. So I "chalk it up to tuition", and I'll never again go to the health department. I only wasted about 45 minutes. I feel bad for those who probably spent several hours waiting for nothing.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:15 PM   #130

We have a blizzard warning, starting tonight. So I got some bread ready to bake. I am making ham balls to take over to my grandkids and also meatball sandwiches for my hubby. I will get to visit with said grandkids also, a rare treat in these times. Sometimes being in the kitchen is very calming to me.

Earlier today, DH and I got in a very nice neighborhood walk and I did zoom yoga with. my favorite yoga teacher.

Getting ready for a snow day tomorrow. Maybe it will not materialize, but just in case.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

This morning I did some 4th coat mudding where it was needed in the basement bedroom, after supper I sanded and did a few minor touchups. Tomorrow I'll take a close look with a bright light and for any stray spots I missed and fix those. Then it's ready for prime and paint.

Went for a 4k walk and finished with a slow 1k jog.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:59 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Fired up the kerosene heater I got for the sheds and was impressed. Lit fast, red hot in minutes, turn wick down and bask in the 10,000 BTU/hr radiant glow.

And hardly any kero stink. I mean it is kero and you do get a bit on shutdown, but it's not bad at all.
Many years ago, kerosene heaters were popular and we had a couple of them. The best way I found to deal with the smell was twofold. First, the first lighting after it sat (over the summer), I’d light it and burn it outside for awhile. Second, when shutting down, shut down gradually. You don’t have to take an hour, but turn it down a small amount at a time and take about ten minutes to fully shut down. It will make a big difference. Quick shut off dumps a lot of raw kerosene into the air.

Of course, use quality fuel and keep it maintained.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:18 PM   #133

Today, DW & I replaced an exterior pre-hung door. My mad carpentry skills can turn any 2-hour job into a six-hour job.

The original door was into the basement and was part of the original construction, so 13-years old. There was some water damage/rotten wood in the door frame at the bottom on either side of the threshold. The moulding was rotted at the bottom as well. I thought about trying to cut out the rotted bits and replacing them, but I could not figure out how I could do that without actually taking out the pre-hung door and basically refabricating it.

I don't think the original door was poorly installed. The west side of the house gets almost all the wet weather and gets pummeled with driving rain throughout the year. I think the bottom of the moulding (soft pine) was not protected and it ended up rotting and wicking water to the door frame. I put several coats of polyurethane on the bottom parts of the new frame in hopes of holding off rot in the future. I don't think we will be up to this job again in 15 years!
Old 01-15-2021, 02:37 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Me and the little woman headed for the big town to do some shopping. Haven't been far from Timbuktu for a long time. Lol

Left early, masked up, and in and out from Menards & Walmart and started for home. Was nice to get to the big city but always glad to get the heck out of there as well.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #135

Nemo: I did not know that you had your hip surgery. I sure am glad that you did not hurt yourself in the fall. I am the exact height of your wife, but sadly I am not the same weight. I have 25 lbs on her. I will be happy when I get back down to 110 or 115.

MRG: I am very sorry about your dog. They are definitely part of the family. We had 5 cats for years, but we are down to 1 cat now. She is 17 years old and I hope that she will still be living every morning.

Walt: That is a shame that you were not able to get your vaccine. One of my retired co-worker friends and her husband received their vaccines last week through the health department. Her DH is 80 and she asked to make her appt also (she is 77) they gave her an appointment for the same time. I have myself and my DH in their computer, when it is time for our age group. He is 69 and I am 67. I was so hopeful that we would get it in March or April, until I read the post today regarding all of the vaccine has already been released. So disappointing. I hope that you are able to get yours soon.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Had a urology appointment this morning, it's the furthest DW has allowed me to drive since I hit a deer last year. Combined a couple other errands and brought lunch home.

Renewed my DL online. That was easier than the instructions made it out to be. I'm missing the front license from my vehicle and I think I can replace it online also. Of course I don't have the vehicle yet.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:10 PM   #137

It was my wife's birthday today so I surprised her with a "Surf and Turf" dinner at home today. (we will still be staying away from crowds for quite a while) I decorated the dining room with a banner, a birthday center piece, and a chocolate cake with a couple of candles that said 21. (I'm no fool to try and put the right number on the cake.) I was able to order live lobsters from a local grocery store a few days ago and prepared a prime rib and a 3 lb lobster for her dinner. Since a good friend came by to drop of a cake for her she had 2 to try out.
It was a good day.

Cheers!
Old 01-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #138

listened to a voice mail that poured in earlier. i was threatened with arrest by the Social Security cops if i didn't press '1' to talk to an "officer". i decided to chance it. so far, so good
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 01-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #139
Administrator

I smoked a brisket and we had street tacos for dinner.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:06 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

I worked out, did the almost final touchup of drywall mudding, and spent a ridiculous amount of time researching acoustic guitars on the internet and YouTube. We just bought a cabin and I'm now looking for an cost effective but still decent 2nd guitar that I can leave at the cabin for noodling around and campfire jamming....one that I pass around without worrying if it gets a ding.
Closed Thread