Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #1381
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Oh, and cut the grass when I got home from doing all that.
Cut the grass I thought all these rich people on this site hired lawn-service folks to do that!
Timeisprecious is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #1382
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
I am 48 years old and I figured out for the first time in my life today that S.C. Johnson and Johnson & Johnson are not the same company...
That's funny . The same thing happened to me many years ago. Who knew?
finnski1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:28 AM   #1383
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
What ever method removes the most humidity is best in my area. (Florida Panhandle)

It's 78* and 52% humidity in my home now, much nicer if the humidity is about 40%. If it was 40%, I would still feel comfortable at 81* or 82*.
Humidity where I am is usually below 20%, occasionally even below 15%. And inside an air-conditioned home it could be even drier, though I have no way of measuring. A temperature of 81 is very fine, and 78 is chilly when you are inactive.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:13 PM   #1384

Unfortunately, DW has a habit of forgetting to leave her little Swiss Army knife at home when we fly. The x-ray machine always catches it and she has had so many of them confiscated over the years it's a running joke between us.

Today the friendly Amazon folks delivered a new one that has no blade. Designed specifically for airplane travel, it's called the Jetsetter model. Scissors, screwdriver, bottle opener, tweezers, and toothpick.

As long as she remembers to swap it with her regular model before each flight, I think this will make her very happy.

Victorinox Swiss Army Jetsetter Pocket Knife
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 6.10.53 PM.png (467.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-27-2021, 04:53 PM   #1385
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Unfortunately, DW has a habit of forgetting to leave her little Swiss Army knife at home when we fly. The x-ray machine always catches it and she has had so many of them confiscated over the years it's a running joke between us.

Today the friendly Amazon folks delivered a new one that has no blade. Designed specifically for airplane travel, it's called the Jetsetter model. Scissors, screwdriver, bottle opener, tweezers, and toothpick.

As long as she remembers to swap it with her regular model before each flight, I think this will make her very happy.

Victorinox Swiss Army Jetsetter Pocket Knife
I had at least half a dozen of these little numbers. Unfortunately, only one left and it's not in my purse, traveling or not . The only reason this one survived is that on my packing list now is the reminder to 'remove all knives from purse'. .
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #1386

Mowed the "back forty" of the yard beginning at 9:30 before it got too hot and muggy. Still, I was drenched by the time I was done an hour later. It's 95F now, not outlandish for this time of year here but it still hits you when you walk out from the A/C.

I plan on meeting my student R/C pilot at 9:00 AM tomorrow, which is "ohgodthirty" in the morning for me. The plan is to be done by noon or 1:00 at the latest before we die from heat stroke.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:48 PM   #1387

A beautiful day irrigated the lawn from 5 to 7 and then went to check on eaglets. Then went on to the ranch to irrigate trees and weed whack etc.. Just got home and a rancher texted me and ask if I could help him move some haying equipment, so I did. Got home and finished up a ulu knife I started last evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7619.JPG (46.7 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7608.jpg (39.5 KB, 171 views)
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:41 PM   #1388
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Applied for a Costco credit card. Don't really need another CC but I know we will have to replace the refrigerator one of these days and the Costco card offers additional warranties and sometimes have gift card promotions. Want to have the card so I can take advantage when the time comes.

Had to do a temporary credit thaw for the application. The credit bureaus have come a long way in the past few years in improving the ease of freezing/unfreezing your credit.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:09 PM   #1389

Nice pic, Street. Starting to look like a real eagle now.

Very nice ulu, too!
Old 06-29-2021, 02:54 PM   #1390
Give me a forum ...

Kayking with lady friend and some of her neighbors. All had good time in spite of being drenched in sweat.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:18 PM   #1391

I met my student R/C pilot at the field at 9:00 AM, way early for me, but since the weather is so hot that's preferable to being broiled alive. We did get several flights in with his airplane and I brought a few of my own to get some flights in and adjust radio settings. This time I put a Runcam 2 (a little video camera) on one of the airplanes and shot some video that I put up on youtube.

We were done a little bit after noon and left. I was ever-so-grateful for the wonderful A/C in my GMC pickup truck on the way home!
Old 06-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #1392

Played 4 sets of doubles tennis this morning. Came home, showered, ate, and finished making the axle for a little boat trailer. Next some work in the garden, then our weekly family zoom call, and finally bbqing pork and vegetables for dinner. After dinner, organizing backpacking gear for our trip next week if I still have the energy.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:57 PM   #1393
Give me a forum ...

Drove up to the high-country boondocks home yesterday, and back down into the Valley of the Heat today, spending only 1 night up there.

The purpose of the trip was the annual renewal of the post office box, which must be done in person. The USPS does not deliver mail to the homes, and a P.O. box is the only way one can get mails. I don't know why we keep the P.O. box and go through the trouble every year, because we use the main home address as the mailing address for bills.

The short trip was also useful as I spent time to put in a new shut-off valve to replace the one that broke and leaked. Last time there, I did not have the time nor the tools, so was just able to patch the leak so we could get some water.

I still have to come back once more before winter to install a new heat tape to keep the meter and the shut-off valves from freezing, despite being buried 2 ft deep and insulated. I will need some time to do that right and to make sure it works.

We would have stayed up there in the mountain to stay cool if it weren't for the care of MIL. No AC needed. It even rained when we were there. The fires in the surrounding national forest seemed to be under control. If it keeps raining everyday as forecasted, that will help a lot.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:08 PM   #1394
gone traveling

I'm going for a checkup next week, so I got my blood drawn for tests.
Not to sure about the phlebotomist. I generally don't have any mark an hour later. It's been 6 hrs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phlebotomy.jpg (1.05 MB, 48 views)
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:08 PM   #1395
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
All I can say is you can have these 100+ temperatures. I just pray it doesn't lead to another season of wildfires. Last year we were stuck inside due to the extreme smoke for days.
Move to south Texas to get out of that heat stuff. We also have winter here now! Bring your boots and snowshovel!
Old 06-29-2021, 08:09 PM   #1396
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Move to south Texas to get out of that heat stuff. We also have winter here now! Bring your boots and snowshovel!
And umbrellas. And a boat.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:10 PM   #1397
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And umbrellas. And a boat.
Yeas, I forgot to mention that too!
Old 06-29-2021, 08:16 PM   #1398
Give me a forum ...

The other day, I happened to see on Youtube a video made by a guy who's building his home somewhere near Houston that he did not pinpoint.

He has quite a few acres, with a pond, and has a few animals. What caught my attention was that his house was built on stilts. Said he had to, because of potential flood.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:23 PM   #1399
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The other day, I happened to see on Youtube a video made by a guy who's building his home somewhere near Houston that he did not pinpoint.

He has quite a few acres, with a pond, and has a few animals. What caught my attention was that his house was built on stilts. Said he had to, because of potential flood.
He's along the Gulf coast somewhere. There are many homes on stilts along the coast. One of my friends has one in Galveston as a summer place.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:27 PM   #1400
Give me a forum ...

Three wheel barrows of weeds pulled. Am a lousy gardener. Usually wait unti weeds are tall enough to grab easily to yank out. Late DW used to spend many hours manicuring the garden, nowdays the good stuff thrives on benign neglect.