Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #1421
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'll have some fun getting 10' long 6" dia concrete filled pvc piers out of the lake.
Can't you just cut off the piers near the waterline if they are under the deck ? It sounds like mother nature will complete the removal process for you over a few more years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2021, 05:02 PM   #1422
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ getting those piers out of the lake will keep you young and fit. Lol It will be challenging that is for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Can't you just cut off the piers near the waterline if they are under the deck ? It sounds like mother nature will complete the removal process for you over a few more years.
Part of the plan will be to cut off at the water line. Or slightly above it.

Then I'm going to leave some joists intact to other piers to use as a support for a pulley. And attach my atv winch cable to the lower portion and pull it up and out.

Lake bottom is sand. I can use my pressure washer to jet out sand around bottom of piers to make the bottom portion of the piers easier to remove.

But I plan on removing the whole pier.

Along with this, I'm going to beat on them with a sledgehammer - that may break up the concrete in the pvc. And I have access to a jackhammer if all else fails.

But I'm waiting until September for cooler weather and lower water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 5.56.19 PM.jpg (679.4 KB, 71 views)
Old 07-05-2021, 04:20 PM   #1423
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ronstar >>> I have seen that method to pull a longer pole then what a digger derrick, had derrick length for a longer pole. I actually have been involved in that process of setting and pulling longer units then what the right was capable of doing.

If I understand your drawing that pulley support riser will set right by the pier you are pulling out.

The only thing we did when using that method was from that top pulley cable went down along that riser to another pulley. That way when you tighten up that cable back to your wheeler the cable is horizontal/parallel to water/ground and pulls straight.

I'm not telling you or saying you have to do it that way. It is just the way I have used and seen it done.

Have fun and be safe.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #1424

My older son came over to help us, as I cannot do anything with this fractured vertebrae.
We did a water run, filling 14 one gallon jugs from machines. He then assembled the new sewing table for DW and moved it into the bedroom.
On his way out, he dumped all the packing material and also the strange package we received of wooden parts with no instructions or hardware.
Bless his heart for helping.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:19 PM   #1425
Moderator Emeritus

Went for a mosquito infested hike and cut a hole through our brick exterior and installed a receptacle for our deck.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #1426
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
My older son came over to help us, as I cannot do anything with this fractured vertebrae.
We did a water run, filling 14 one gallon jugs from machines. He then assembled the new sewing table for DW and moved it into the bedroom.
On his way out, he dumped all the packing material and also the strange package we received of wooden parts with no instructions or hardware.
Bless his heart for helping.

How are you doing after the weekend? It's a hard time..not being able to move around can't help either.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:00 PM   #1427
Give me a forum ...

Got up early and headed for ranch to pick wild berry's and check on the juvenile golden eagle. I also spent some time looking over the ne property I plan on buying.

I just about stepped on a rattler hiking up to check on eagles. I was 8 inches from stepping right on top of him. He warned me and I was a hopping around on one foot to avoid from stepping on him. Lol Was close!!!

High temperature today was 71 degrees.

Picture of eaglet and of the old 100 plus year old shop I want to repair when I buy the new place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7691.jpg (39.0 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7666.jpg (65.5 KB, 235 views)
Old 07-06-2021, 05:00 PM   #1428
Give me a forum ...

Hit the hardware store for screen material, spline and tool. Picked up a couple taco salads at the taqueria, replaced 2 worn out screens and now on to the second coat of spar varnish for the front porch fence rail.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:08 PM   #1429

Mowed the back yard at 9:30 before it got too hot, showered, and haven't been outside for the rest of the day except to get the mail. High was 96°F today. Hot, but not unseasonably so for this location. RH was 76% and the device I have to measure that also shows dewpoint but I forgot that. About 68° I think.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:23 PM   #1430

Woke up early and finished cleaning the grill after last night's meal. Mowed the lawn in two sessions. Jumped in the pool twice to cool off after each session. Quick weight machine workout as well. Writing out a band music part for myself to play since so many amateur musicians have quit during Covid that I have to cover parts other than my own when I can. Their loss.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:37 PM   #1431
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Got up early and headed for ranch to pick wild berry's and check on the juvenile golden eagle. I also spent some time looking over the ne property I plan on buying.

I just about stepped on a rattler hiking up to check on eagles. I was 8 inches from stepping right on top of him. He warned me and I was a hopping around on one foot to avoid from stepping on him. Lol Was close!!!

High temperature today was 71 degrees.

Picture of eaglet and of the old 100 plus year old shop I want to repair when I buy the new place.

That shop is awesome! That will make a fun project for you.

Don’t know if your rattlers are like the Arizona rattlers. I ran into one that rattled louder with each step that I got closer. The volume would go down when I backed away.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:51 PM   #1432
gone traveling

After the recent hot spell over weekend of a couple of 115 degree days (new records), I spent mornings and evenings watering to keep things alive. Trying to revive three scorched evergreen shrubs with visible dark brown needle tips on the south sides now! I hope they live.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:41 PM   #1433
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
This is a sad day for us. I just got word that our dear DIL just passed away. I am waiting to hear from my son to find out what arrangements have been made.
I am really sorry. That is tough.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:50 PM   #1434
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
That shop is awesome! That will make a fun project for you.

Don’t know if your rattlers are like the Arizona rattlers. I ran into one that rattled louder with each step that I got closer. The volume would go down when I backed away.
I heard him just in time! With the wind and me huffing and buffing from that mile climb also poor hearing he might had warning earlier! Lol

I always wear snake guards but didn't put them on today. I have walked that same ridge line many times hiking up to the eagles. He was right outside his snake hole.

I got a set of 12 button rattles out of the deal thou.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #1435
Give me a forum ...

Watched this.20210707_161337.jpg
Old 07-08-2021, 02:49 PM   #1436
Moderator Emeritus

Started my dock reno project. Pressure washed off all algae and debris.

Shoreline side of my 16 yo fixed dock has been the victim of frost heave and it is about 8" out of level. So I'm taking out the fixed portion and adding a kayak launch.

Submitted this drawing to HOA for a permit. Ordered YAKport Kayak Launch. And assorted hardware. Some hardware is on backorder and they don't know when it will come in.

I was going to wait until it got cooler, but I'm going to start Saturday if I get the permit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 3.34.47 PM.jpg (997.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 07-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #1437

Trimmed the bushes at the front with the Stihl hedge trimmer, then cleaned up with the Echo Shred 'n Vac tool. I was seriously thinking of buying the Milwaukee electric hedge trimmer, the Stihl can be a bit cantankerous to get started initially (Thanks, EPA!) and the heat & exhaust from it are bothersome. The Shred 'n Vac isn't as bad because it moves enough air around that the heat and exhaust from that aren't near as bothersome. And it's old enough that the fuel mixture can be made properly rich enough to run well.

I took advantage of the fact that DW had gone out for a while and put the bag from the Shred 'n Vac in the washing machine to clean it up. She tends to freak a little bit when I do that because of the amount of dirt that comes out of it. After all, it is an outside vacuum cleaner bag. And I do take care to wipe out the inside of the washing machine afterward of the leftover leaves and such that sometimes remain.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #1438
Moderator Emeritus

My 85 year old neighbor and I played 18 holes of golf this morning. It was only 88 F and we missed the mid-day thunderstorms. we play a two man scramble and he gets to hit from the "forward" tee box. I'm only 77 and I get to tee off from the regular men's tees. We were "even" after 18 and carded two birdies and two bogeys, the rest pars. That was a real good score for us today.

On the way home, we stopped at a Cracker Barrel restaurant and had the meatloaf, mashed potatoes and a veggie $5.99 lunch special.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:01 PM   #1439
Give me a forum ...

Power washed the other side of the fence in prep for stain and power washed my old deck box that will be the new home for the outdoor furniture covers when not deployed.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:04 PM   #1440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I took advantage of the fact that DW had gone out for a while and put the bag from the Shred 'n Vac in the washing machine to clean it up. She tends to freak a little bit when I do that because of the amount of dirt that comes out of it. After all, it is an outside vacuum cleaner bag. And I do take care to wipe out the inside of the washing machine afterward of the leftover leaves and such that sometimes remain.
When I bring in my dirty towels, mostly golf towels, I pre wash them in a bucket outside. Then I bring them in and use the washing machine. A bag like yours, I’d probably shake it out and spray it off with a hose before bringing it into the house.