What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coughed up extra $1208.- the IRS determined that I owed.

Stayed home which is rare for me. It rained and drizzled all day and was welcomed after two months of no rain. What a blessing to smell, hear and see it rain.

Last edited:
Prepared and canned 7 pints of tomato sauce and 8 quarter pints of rhubarb jelly. Making preparations for the arrival of Hurricane Henri on Sunday.

The big event of today was picking up a prescription. Some rain off & on so didn't do anything outside. Worked a little on the R/C airplane under construction and am now charging batteries for tomorrow. My main student pilot has soloed and has been signed off but wants some more instruction/encouragement to fly without me as a backup. I think tomorrow will be his last day of instruction.

I'll likely sign off his brother as well. He's the one who prepared by buying and using a computer simulator and soloed in four flights. I'd never seen anyone do it that fast. For a complete "sign off" to fly by oneself the student has to do three takeoffs and landings (not necessarily consecutively) fly the rectangular traffic pattern on each, and complete a horizontal figure eight while maintaining a constant altitude. He'll probably be able to do that tomorrow.

I was scheduled for jury duty next Monday and today I postponed it to November. With this latest surge of Delta variant Covid, I just can't see putting myself into that situation. Fingers crossed that things are better by then. Hopefully, I'll have a booster shot by then, as well.

Later, DW and I had a dog walking date with friends with drinks at their house afterward. The dogs got into a tussle over a dog bed and our pup ended up with two cuts on his face. So, tomorrow I have to see if I can get him into the vet.

I bought one of these today for my truck (long overdue!):
mclean_metalworks_bare_bones_hammock_17.jpg

travelover said:
A container of Beano would have been cheaper and safer at highway speeds.

Fired up the iMac and went through my vacation photos from spring through summer. Found a few I like and made some canvas prints.

Last Saturday I spent much of the day with my brother looking for an immediate care facility. He fell and cut his eyelid, and ended up getting 5 stitches. The funny part is it took over an hour just to find an immediate care clinic that was open. We did find 4 chains with over 20 locations that were all closed on Saturday. All the ones open are owned by one hospital chain, the largest in this area. They operate like a hospital, not a walk in clinic, so the registration and wait was about 4 hours.

Went back today to get the stitches removed. A bit faster registration today, same wait.

I installed metal roofing on one side of the old shop. I had to cut out some of the sheathing and replaced with new boards. I only worked about 4 hours and come for lunch. A beautiful day full and blue sky with an inch of rain yesterday. No smoke and haze what a difference that makes for the soul.

Further preparation for the arrival of Hurricane Henri, which included going out the garden and picking all but the greenest of the tomatoes, tying up the corn, okra and peppers for mutual support against the wind and ensuring that there was nothing loose that could blow around.

Then we came back home and took everything into the house and garage - porch furniture, potted trees and plants, bird feeders, hanging plants and anything else that could be a missile hazard.

Although we are right on the water, our elevation is 25 feet, so I am not worried about the predicted 5 foot storm surge. We also sit on sand and loam and are far from any inland watercourse, so I don't fear freshwater flooding either. And my gutters are fairly newly cleaned out. In fact, the only thing I really fear is the wind, since we have enormous maple and oak trees surrounding the house.

As of the last report from the National Hurricane Center, Henri is predicted to come ashore in Connecticut about 45 miles to the east of us. I was quite concerned last night, when the predicted track passed directly over our house.

Last edited:
DH has been working on the boat motor. Somehow air has been getting into the fuel lines. We took it out for a test ride this morning to see if the repair works- it does! Tried to get the teenagers to come, but they wouldn't. Their loss- it was a gorgeous day. Then I came home and put up about 15 pounds of pears. Deer roast, rice and gravy, and roasted fresh okra for dinner, with a pear cobbler for dessert. Yum.

DH has been working on the boat motor. Somehow air has been getting into the fuel lines. We took it out for a test ride this morning to see if the repair works- it does! Tried to get the teenagers to come, but they wouldn't. Their loss- it was a gorgeous day. Then I came home and put up about 15 pounds of pears. Deer roast, rice and gravy, and roasted fresh okra for dinner, with a pear cobbler for dessert. Yum.

How do you roast your okra? We have a ton of it from the garden and mostly use it in gumbo.

Further preparation for the arrival of Hurricane Henri, which included going out the garden and picking all but the greenest of the tomatoes, tying up the corn, okra and peppers for mutual support against the wind and ensuring that there was nothing loose that could blow around.

Then we came back home and took everything into the house and garage - porch furniture, potted trees and plants, bird feeders, hanging plants and anything else that could be a missile hazard.

Although we are right on the water, our elevation is 25 feet, so I am not worried about the predicted 5 foot storm surge. We also sit on sand and loam and are far from any inland watercourse, so I don't fear freshwater flooding either. And my gutters are fairly newly cleaned out. In fact, the only thing I really fear is the wind, since we have enormous maple and oak trees surrounding the house.

As of the last report from the National Hurricane Center, Henri is predicted to come ashore in Connecticut about 45 miles to the east of us. I was quite concerned last night, when the predicted track passed directly over our house.
Sounds like your preparations have been pretty thorough. Good! Glad you saved all those great veggies from your garden. Getting some extra cash as well as filling your car's gas tank can be helpful, too. I was thinking about you and your DW last night and I am so glad the storm turned a little bit, for now. Looked like it was headed right at you. :eek:

Sounds like your preparations have been pretty thorough. Good! Glad you saved all those great veggies from your garden. Getting some extra cash as well as filling your car's gas tank can be helpful, too. I was thinking about you and your DW last night and I am so glad the storm turned a little bit, for now. Looked like it was headed right at you. :eek:

Thanks for your concern W2R. I did fill up the car yesterday, and I always keep a couple thousand bucks in my gun safe just for circumstances like this. I am hopeful that we will ride it out just fine.

The last time we had a hurricane (Superstorm Sandy in 2012), the winds started to peel the rolled roofing off the flat part of my roof. I had to go out in the middle of the storm and put heavy things on it to keep it in place. The young wife was yelling at me the whole time about being a crazy fool on the roof in a hurricane. But it worked; I kept my roof, although it needed a little patching.

Thanks for your concern W2R. I did fill up the car yesterday, and I always keep a couple thousand bucks in my gun safe just for circumstances like this. I am hopeful that we will ride it out just fine.

The last time we had a hurricane (Superstorm Sandy in 2012), the winds started to peel the rolled roofing off the flat part of my roof. I had to go out in the middle of the storm and put heavy things on it to keep it in place. The young wife was yelling at me the whole time about being a crazy fool on the roof in a hurricane. But it worked; I kept my roof, although it needed a little patching.

Well just remember you are 9 years older now, than you were then! Might want to listen to your wife and stay off the roof during this one. :D

Otherwise, sounds like you're about all set. Hang on and good luck! :)

Gumby, I'm glad things turned out as well as possible for you. Damage like that just is a terrible thing to deal with.

So glad to read that Hurricane Henri was downgraded to Tropical Storm Henri before landfall in Rhode Island! With any luck Gumby made out OK, and had no roof or falling tree problems. And life goes on... there's another one way out there in the Atlantic, but it will be a while until we know where it's headed.

No Gulf of Mexico tropical storms or hurricanes making US landfall so far, which is unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom