Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2021, 07:12 AM   #1481
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I thought you grilled the shrimp on site. I enlarged the photo, and saw no sign of a grill.

We cleaned up the site after we ate and before drone pics. Grill was under the back of the trailer.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2021, 01:52 PM   #1482

Pretty much finished up on the new sailplane mentioned yesterday. DW was a terrific help with the decals, they often needed three hands and sometimes four. Except for adjusting the center of gravity properly it's done and ready to fly. That will be a few more days because of the weather though.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #1483
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Yesterday, actually. Found an outdoor seating, "beer lawn" brewery last year that we really liked near the NH lakehouse. Then heard about "hardcore" customers who would bring chairs, rugs, grills, etc to the brewery and imbibe. So I came up with this hair brained idea to do with another fun loving couple friends of ours.

Put my barn furniture on my flatbed trailer and go out to the brewery on a pleasant Saturday. AC outlet in the Jeep powered the lamp, and my 1913 Victor Victrola record player offered tunes. Grilled some honey garlic shrimp and ate them with a broccoli slaw in a wrap. Beer was a fine Red offered by the brewery. Photo courtesy of my DJI Spark Drone.

File this one under the "because I can" category.
That is simply fantastic!
Old 07-12-2021, 02:46 PM   #1484

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Yesterday, actually. Found an outdoor seating, "beer lawn" brewery last year that we really liked near the NH lakehouse. Then heard about "hardcore" customers who would bring chairs, rugs, grills, etc to the brewery and imbibe. So I came up with this hair brained idea to do with another fun loving couple friends of ours.

Put my barn furniture on my flatbed trailer and go out to the brewery on a pleasant Saturday. AC outlet in the Jeep powered the lamp, and my 1913 Victor Victrola record player offered tunes. Grilled some honey garlic shrimp and ate them with a broccoli slaw in a wrap. Beer was a fine Red offered by the brewery. Photo courtesy of my DJI Spark Drone.

File this one under the "because I can" category.
No offense, but my first thought seeing the pic was "If you haul your living room furniture to the local restaurant on the back of your flat bed trailer "You MIGHT be a redneck"

Just joking with you, looks like a fun time.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:10 PM   #1485

I have Costco hearing aids too. I rarely use them. They crank up the background noise as much as what I am trying to hear and I can't distinguish anything. I was hoping the directional mic capability might help, but does not make much difference. I do use noise canceling Bose headphones for listening to videos and movies and they work very well. Everyone with hearing issues seem to be somewhat different.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
7/12
Old 07-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #1486
Recycles dryer sheets

7/12

Spent some time, driving around , doing my tension release which is drive thru fast food and music. A bit miffed that I didn't succeed at doing a real estate deal to start a new business. But a bit relieved too.

The rest of the day was normal....

*Beaver Cleaver and CNBC in the morning.

*Took 13 year old DD to Outback, I had an amazing slab of ribs, I've not had ribs since the pandemic began and only now am I going to restaurants during off peak times on weekdays.

*Came home, played pretend blackjack with my kids, made dinner for kids so DW could have a kid-break upstairs, now just watching Rounders and then later tonight some peaches, cold water, and me and DW will watch "Madam Secretary" that we just started (only on Episode 3 but loving it)
MichealKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:53 PM   #1487
Administrator

Several more hours tending to the garden plot. It is now almost shipshape after our two weeks away. Just a few more hours tomorrow or Wednesday should do it. The garlic, onions and shallots are ready to harvest. I just need a two day dry spell.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:53 PM   #1488

Cracked off the corner of an already decades ago filled molar a week or two ago. Left a hole, sharp edges, but zero pain. Finally got around to finding a new, in-network dentist in the area where our second home is as we expect to sell primary next spring and live here full time. Might as well start finding local services now. Picked a large practice that rated 4.9/5 on Google, with 550+ reviews, outside the capitol city.

As expected, doc said the only solution was a crown. Already went through this on the other side a couple years ago. Got a quote, he said we can do this now, or later. I said do it now, since I was already there. $$ was about what I expected after insurance.

Impressed with the place on many levels. Looked very new, lots of latest tech. Doc very professional, thoroughly explained every step before starting. Said they make crowns on site, will have to sit for an hour while they make it once I am all prepped. Even the novacaine injections were the least painful that I have ever had. Numbed up quick, drill, grind. Drill, grind. Not fun, but it doesn't bother me that much.

They turned me loose for an hour, I went to a Harbor Freight across the street and bought 5 things, 4 that I really didn't need (that's what HF is for, right?). Came back, was taken back to the chair.

Tech test fit the new crown. Took an X-Ray of it for doc to review. Doc came in a glued it up, then left. Tech scraped away the excess cement, said I was just about done. Said that she needed to take one more X-Ray for doc to review....

Then things got weird.

She left for a minute, then came back in hurriedly, and said "I have to do one more thing, open please." She grabbed a pick and said "this thing has to come out, I'll explain later. And I'll have to pull hard."

But she couldn't get it out.

Then she started to explain that the doc was picky, and put the last X-Ray on a screen that I could see, then doc came in. He showed me a tiny gap between the crown and the tooth base. I'd guess 1/32" or less. Said that the cement was supposed to "squish in" there, but it didn't for some reason. He said I had a functioning tooth, and didn't have to have it re-done for a while if I didn't want to. But he didn't feel leaving it as it could possibly cause problems later.

I went out to the front area with the tech to make an appointment. The girl said "How about 9:30 tomorrow AM?"

Ugh. But why not. Took it. So gum needles back in tomorrow.

I am still impressed with the practice, and really with the fact that the doc would not let this tiny imperfection walk out the front door.

Was thinking about showing up with a caulking gun on my belt.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:05 PM   #1489
Moderator Emeritus

Obviously, this is not the Cracker Barrel crowd. Please forgive me for mentioning the place and going there. I am ashamed.

And as far as canned veggies, do your favorite eating holes have a full size garden in back of the place so they can only serve you "freshly picked" beans and asparagus?

It's my OBSERVATION that the C.B. lunch crowd is mostly old women wearing XL (or larger) size dresses, old, bearded guys with dirty coveralls (working folk), chartered bus caravans, and a collection of lost RV'ers who are so hungry that would even stoop so low as to eat canned veggies.

But the $5.99 lunch specials are pretty good for us common folk.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:16 PM   #1490
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Obviously, this is not the Cracker Barrel crowd. Please forgive me for mentioning the place and going there. I am ashamed.
As well you should be. Baril de Cracker dining, ha!

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:20 PM   #1491
Administrator

When I was a young lad, we shopped at the base commissary. As I recall, the cans did not have paper labels, just a purple stamp on the end -- "peas, carrots, corn, green beans" and the like. That's what we ate. I never had a fresh tomato slice until I went to the young wife to be's house and her mother made me fresh sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper. That convinced me that these were high class people and I should probably stick with the daughter.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:23 PM   #1492
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

And as far as canned veggies, do your favorite eating holes have a full size garden in back of the place so they can only serve you "freshly picked" beans and asparagus?
The last time we were in Napa Valley, went to Yountville to walk around that really pleasant tiny town. We visited the famed French Laundry Restaurant of Thomas Keller. Visit is an exaggerated word, because we were standing at the curb looking around, at about lunch time. The restaurant was only for dinner and reservation was made months in advance. Prix fixe menus start from $350/person, and up to $575 if you want truffle and Wagyu beef.

Just across the small street from the French Laundry was a vegetable garden of a few acres. We crossed the street to take a closer look. Yes, that's where the chef had his own veggie grown. Son of a gun!

Quote:
But the $5.99 lunch specials are pretty good for us common folk.
I am going to check that out myself.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:25 PM   #1493

Quote:

No, but many of them do get fresh produce (and meats) from local farms. Some of it picked the same day it is served at the farm to table establishments.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:28 PM   #1494

Band practice tonight. It is such a joy to play again with others! Most of the community groups are re-opening. They arenít asking people if they are vaccinated, but it is clear that we all are, as we are mostly in the higher risk groups, and are pretty well-versed in the risks. Anyone who shows up unvaccinated does do at their own risk.

Playing in community groups really helped organize my retirement life, so coming out of a year of just being with DH and DS is refreshing. I have three rehearsals this week and a Zoom meeting to organize restarting my own flute organization. Should keep me grounded.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:52 PM   #1495

Plenty of fresh, wild asparagus along the Highline Canal which meanders through the southern suburbs of Denver. We picked and ate it the same day when our kids were fairly young. They enjoyed the "asparagus hunt". Very delicious and it is hard to figure out how those and canned asparagus could be even vaguely related.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:51 AM   #1496

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
31 in VA. Redneck country.
In a configuration recalling the Civil War defenses of Washington, DC, Cracker Barrel restaurants are arrayed in a circle about 30 miles from the city.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:59 AM   #1497
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Egads! What would people think of me if they knew Waffle House was my favorite breakfast place down South?
Old 07-13-2021, 08:01 AM   #1498
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Egads! What would people think of me if they knew Waffle House was my favorite breakfast place down South?
I'd say you're a man of taste and refinement.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:20 AM   #1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
Broccoli slaw is terrific, one of the many great ways to use broccoli stems. Not too long ago I learned that the stems are as nutritious as the crowns!
I'm a cauliflower guy generally but am also in the minority that prefers broccoli stems to the crowns. More flavor and not as dry.

Given that you'd think I would like broccolini but I don't care for it. Different flavor.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #1500

So 4-5 days ago DW and I hiked up to 10,000 feet near our RV here in Colorado, and of course this made me think that surely I could just start climbing 14ers! So without a ton of prep or hiking training we hiked up to the tallest peak in the state yesterday, Mt. Elbert. Our first 14er. I'm 60, she's 63.

Stats:

Round trip distance: 13.4 miles
4,100 feet of elevation gain
32,600 steps
147 flights
Walking heart rate average - 143 bpm
Resting heart rate (lunch at the peak) - 72bpm
Calories burned: 2,313
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote