Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 09:15 AM   #1501
Moderator Emeritus

^Excellent!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #1502
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
So 4-5 days ago DW and I hiked up to 10,000 feet near our RV here in Colorado, and of course this made me think that surely I could just start climbing 14ers! So without a ton of prep or hiking training we hiked up to the tallest peak in the state yesterday, Mt. Elbert. Our first 14er. I'm 60, she's 63.

Stats:

Round trip distance: 13.4 miles
4,100 feet of elevation gain
32,600 steps
147 flights
Walking heart rate average - 143 bpm
Resting heart rate (lunch at the peak) - 72bpm
Calories burned: 2,313
Very nice!!
Those hikes of elevation to 10 and 12K feet can be a challenge. I do some mountain goat hunts and the weather, wind, rocky slopes and dangerous narrow trails can be very demanding on ones body.

I'm surprised not more calories were burned with 13.4 miles. You did great!
Old 07-13-2021, 02:07 PM   #1503
Give me a forum ...

Stored a supply of einkorn wheat berries for future use. I don't eat much wheat these days because I do a lower-carb diet. But, when I do make bread, pizza crust, rolls, pancakes, etc. I like to use einkorn flour since its weaker glutton structure seems to be better tolerated by some family members. But, after buying the berries, I found that I could store them at most for about 6 months in the bags they came in. So I bought some Mylar storage bags and some oxygen absorbers, and stored about 80% of my purchase in 10 pound sacks. They should last for a few years if I did it right.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #1504

Nothing much, it's too hot to even think about doing yard work for more than ten minutes or so. Putzed around in the shop, made some adjustments to the radio settings on the new sailplane (mixed in down elevator when flaps are lowered) but that's about all I can do until I fly it and get a better idea of how it'll behave. Reviews on it are good though, but caution to stick with a three-cell lipo battery lest one release the magic smoke from the motor.

DW will be 65 in November so naturally she's getting inundated with junk mail trying to sell her Medicare supplements. We already know we're staying with my former employer's BCBS plan that becomes secondary to Medicare, we'd be foolish to do otherwise. Today we got an offer for a free meal if we came to a presentation at a nice nearby restaurant so we might go to that. DW cautioned however, that just because it's the day before our 33rd anniversary that it does NOT count as the anniversary dinner that we normally do.

Rats, I was hoping to slip that one past her but we've been married long enough she saw that one coming.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:19 PM   #1505
Give me a forum ...

Finished staining the fence and drove up to Stockton and had some fish & chips and then sat and talked with my boat guy for a couple hours.

Water test soon -
Old 07-13-2021, 05:40 PM   #1506
Moderator Emeritus

Trapped the groundhog that took up residence under our deck and relocated it several miles west. Then some dock demo. And dinner/ trip prep with our upcoming trip group.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:45 PM   #1507
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Trapped the groundhog that took up residence under our deck and relocated it several miles west. Then some dock demo. And dinner/ trip prep with our upcoming trip group.

Is "relocated several miles west" internet talk for the groundhog taking a dirtnap...
Old 07-13-2021, 05:47 PM   #1508
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Finished staining the fence and drove up to Stockton and had some fish & chips and then sat and talked with my boat guy for a couple hours.

Water test soon -
What kind of tub you looking to buy RobbieB?
Old 07-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #1509
Give me a forum ...

Nineteen foot Boston Whaler.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:54 PM   #1510
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Is "relocated several miles west" internet talk for the groundhog taking a dirtnap...

Nope. Took him 13 miles from home and dropped him off in a wooded area by a creek. According to DW, it had to be dropped off at least 13 miles from home to prevent him from returning.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:54 PM   #1511
Give me a forum ...

Irrigated the lawn again. Got measured for a tux for my son's wedding in Sept.. Got a call from the guy I'm buying land from. It has been a long processes but land deal is moving right along. We agreed on a price and surveyor is a friend and will do the surveying when ever I need it done. Email my attorney the details and new info and hope things get rolling.
He said, I can do what I want there starting now, consider it yours.

Been a long day doing business, seemed like I was back working again. Lol
Old 07-13-2021, 06:00 PM   #1512
Give me a forum ...

Cool Beans Baby!

Now you can go and sit in that shop and dream -
Old 07-13-2021, 06:13 PM   #1513
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took our van to the dealer for the first of two oil changes and tire rotations covered by the GMC Certified Pre-owned vehicle contract. Rode our bikes down to the waterfront during the servicing and enjoyed a picnic lunch and some coffee.

Got the email saying that the Roth IRA I had at my bank has been transferred to my Vanguard IRA. That's my last consolidation move for awhile. To do this, I needed a medallion signature on one of the forms. My bank provides them at no charge, so I went in for that a few weeks ago. The branch manager did the signature, but he was clearly not happy about it. So sorry...not!

The 2nd gen iPod shuffle I bought on eBay to replace the one I lost arrived today. Not sure if it qualifies as retro, but the music I loaded onto it sure does.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:16 PM   #1514
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Nope. Took him 13 miles from home and dropped him off in a wooded area by a creek. According to DW, it had to be dropped off at least 13 miles from home to prevent him from returning.

I'd go twice that far but I really HATE groundhogs...
Old 07-13-2021, 06:22 PM   #1515

Must be the day for groundhogs. I trapped the one under the shed and took him about 10 miles away. Hope he’s a lazy one if your DW is right about 13 miles.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:27 PM   #1516
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCGeezer View Post
Must be the day for groundhogs. I trapped the one under the shed and took him about 10 miles away. Hope he’s a lazy one if your DW is right about 13 miles.

There is way too much groundhog love going on here, All you guys did was make the groundhog someone else's problem. I'll take raccoons, skunks, you name it over groundhogs any day of the week. You give a groundhog an inch and it will take a mile. Now there is one thing worse then a groundhog IMO. We live near a big creek watershed and had a badger settle into one of our machine sheds. They are horribly destructive and almost impossible to catch or trap..that badger went to the great beyond...
Old 07-13-2021, 06:44 PM   #1517
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Stored a supply of einkorn wheat berries for future use....
I love einkorn wheat. In Italy, they call it piccolo farro, and make wonderful side dishes with it (whole berries, not ground). Regular farro is emmer wheat.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:48 PM   #1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
So 4-5 days ago DW and I hiked up to 10,000 feet near our RV here in Colorado, and of course this made me think that surely I could just start climbing 14ers! So without a ton of prep or hiking training we hiked up to the tallest peak in the state yesterday, Mt. Elbert. Our first 14er. I'm 60, she's 63.

Stats:

Round trip distance: 13.4 miles
4,100 feet of elevation gain
32,600 steps
147 flights
Walking heart rate average - 143 bpm
Resting heart rate (lunch at the peak) - 72bpm
Calories burned: 2,313

Awesome. I've only done one 14er myself. Longs Peak. Of course that was 1981 so I better get going to get number 2
Old 07-13-2021, 06:51 PM   #1519
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
There is way too much groundhog love going on here, All you guys did was make the groundhog someone else's problem. I'll take raccoons, skunks, you name it over groundhogs any day of the week. You give a groundhog an inch and it will take a mile. Now there is one thing worse then a groundhog IMO. We live near a big creek watershed and had a badger settle into one of our machine sheds. They are horribly destructive and almost impossible to catch or trap..that badger went to the great beyond...
I agree. We have groundhogs at the community garden. The city keeps trying to trap and remove them. I would just shoot them, but they won't let me. So I have buried a three foot width of wire fence around my own plot (18" down, 18" out) to keep them out.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:26 PM   #1520
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Cool Beans Baby!

Now you can go and sit in that shop and dream -
LOL! Yep I got the truck loaded with timbers and some lumber and will start some work on the building tomorrow. Got some junk and things to sort out.
Closed Thread