Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2021, 06:38 PM   #1561
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One step for Roman soldiers, two steps for mankind.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2021, 09:10 PM   #1562
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
One step for Roman soldiers, two steps for mankind.
Now that is funny!
Old 07-16-2021, 10:33 PM   #1563

I been volunteering to rework a large oak door with side windows and oak trim. It is an outside door for the Foundation building. A lot of work was needed and finally got it all sandy down and installed an outside urethane oil application to it today. Turned out really good with a fresh new look.

I also irrigated yard again, still in a drought and heat has been getting worse.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:20 PM   #1564
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Oh, she's utterly addicted to her Apple Watch, and tracks all the metrics all the time.

Steps in a race will vary a lot, depending on the individual.
One common estimate is that for the average person it will be between 2,000 and 2,500 steps per mile, if walking. Since your stride lengthens when you run, it would be between 1,400 and 1,700 steps per mile for an average runner.

Lots of variation between fast and slow, men and women, length of stride, etc.
Your step numbers make sense. I had a little more than 45k steps the day of my last marathon. Included about a mile walking to/from car. If I walked that mile at 2000 steps, I ran each mile at 1644 steps.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:45 PM   #1565
Moderator Emeritus

More dock demo with a sledgehammer. Did something to the forearm muscle at the elbow. Swollen and sore.

Came in the house and saw several emails from my water heater leak detector. Sure enough it's leaking. 2 years old. Under warranty - but I'll still have to go get one and install it.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:51 AM   #1566
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
from Lifehacker:
"For example, that slimy used car salesman might say that the old beater you’re looking at “starts up great” and that “these are reliable models” when you ask how it runs, but neglects to mention that the engine of that particular vehicle dies regularly. He didn’t lie to you, but he didn’t tell you the truth either."

Politicians use the technique frequently, I'll pass on examples for them as that would invite PORKY!

This is what I call a lie of omission. Alas, a very common way to deceive others. But, now I have a fancier name for it.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:09 AM   #1567

Got up early again (4am) and headed for the ranch to pick wild berries. It has been so dry and with no snow to speak of last winter, this has been a bumper year for wild fruit.

I also spent some time hauling junk from new place I'm buying and picked up another half a pickup load of iron. I imagine I have another 500lbs and haven't even touch the surface yet. 200$ a ton is what they are giving here.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:26 PM   #1568

Went to the alternate club flying site and met my student R/C pilot there. Did the maiden flight on the 2.4 meter glider with no surprises (that's always a good thing). It still needs some work on getting it trimmed and the radio setup finalized, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to like this model. Even with flaps it needs a long flat approach for landing so I'm eventually going to set up a "crow" landing configuration - the flaps go down and the ailerons go up to increase aerodynamic drag to help with reducing speed.

My student is progressing well and he just bought a new trainer airplane that should be a better fit for training. The one he bought is an acrobatic airplane and was, I think, a poor choice for a new pilot. It can work because it does have a gyroscopic stabilization system but his choices of airplanes at the time were limited because of the shortages of pretty much everything.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:56 PM   #1569
Give me a forum ...

Had lunch with a former co-w*rker who was passing through town. Had a great time catching up, he's been retired 2 years now and just hearing about his last days at Megacorp made me appreciate being able to walk away 8 years ago.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:45 PM   #1570

A single lady mid 60s friend of DW and I that lives close had a couple of old lawnmowers that didn't run and she wanted to get rid of. She was happy I picked them up. Within about 3 hours had both running, cleaned up, fresh oil and blades sharpened. All either one needed was drain any old gas, and cleaning the carburetor. The small engines are easy to fix, at least for me. Remove carb, clean passages, only cost is partial can of carb cleaner; and some cheap oil for the engine oil change.

I plan to give one to my neighbor, even though we each have large yards and use big zero turn mowers, there are areas where a small mower is helpful, such as drainage ditch or close under trees. Neighbor uses string trimmer which takes longer.

The other one I'll sell on FB marketplace, pay for a dinner out for DW and me.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 02:23 PM   #1571
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Yeah I was 22 at the time. I drove cross country from Massachusetts with a high school buddy after he graduated college and we went to the Smokies, Rockies etc. camping the whole way in a $19 tent with one vertical pole at each end. Probably only spent $300 for a month back then. Beer, gas, food and campground split 2 ways. We didn't even know it was supposed to be a challenging hike. I went up with corduroys, an anorak ,a beer in one hand and a massive external frame pack. Not the best way to scramble over the keyhole route.

He still lives out there and has completed all the 14ers. I am jealous of that!
You've got about a year on me, I finished HS in June '77 at age 17. Went to Estes Park for the summer to work in a restaurant. Used to hitchhike into RMNP to camp on my days off and run a few miles at altitude in preparation. But I didn't know what to expect past the Keyhole, when I got to the Narrows I debated turning around. And I was hugging the ground as I went up and down the Homestretch, while rock climbers were casually walking up and down.

Took the train up Pikes Peak, and the road up Mt. Evans. Those are my only other 14er experiences. Quite an accomplishment for your friend to have completed all of them. Is his name Andrew Hamilton by any chance?

https://www.climbing.com/news/andrew...-speed-record/

We were fortunate to have a family cabin in Estes so I grew up visiting regularly. Relocated to the Front Range a couple of years, and am looking at Longs from my back deck as I write this.
oldphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:53 PM   #1572

Went out flying with R/C airplanes but if I'd known it was going to be that windy at the site I wouldn't have bothered. It was a good thing my student couldn't make it today, he wouldn't have learned anything. I did get the new sailplane pretty much "dialed in" with the trim and radio settings that I like, except I still have the crow landing configuration setup to do.

The photo is from today's video:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phoenix_2400_1_frame.jpg (392.6 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-18-2021, 05:22 PM   #1573
Recycles dryer sheets

Went backpacking with daughters this weekend. They live in Reno and we are in NorCal so we met half way between up high in the Sierra Nevada range at a place called Donner Pass.

Packed into a little glacier lake above 7,000 ft and woke up to cattle and cow bells echoing off the granite peaks.

A little sore this evening from packing gear 10 miles each way. But it was a perfect weekend with two of our kids.
1242Vintage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:00 PM   #1574
Give me a forum ...

It was a bit cloudy today, so I decided to do a bit of yard work early in the morning. At 9AM, I gave up and went inside to the comfort of the AC. The temperature was only 92F, but the dew point was 70F. My body could not handle that. I was sweating profusely, and my T-shirt was all wet. I was freakin' miserable. Did I say it was partially cloudy?

I think this is one of the reasons SS is in trouble. In the old days before AC, weak guys like me just dropped dead and did not claim SS for very long at all. Now, they stay inside in the comfort of cool dry air from the AC, eat, drink, and merrily buy stuff on Amazon, and claim SS for a looong time.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:23 PM   #1575

Didn't do much but to take my scrap iron to get sold. We have had heat that is rare here for such a long period of time. 103 degrees here today, went to buy some lawn fertilizer just to get outside for a while.

I'm planning to get up early tomorrow morning and head to the ranch. Berry picking and look to see if I can find a survey marker in one of the canyons. I have been told there is one there so I will see if I can find it.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:42 PM   #1576
Administrator

Mowed my lawn this morning. I'm hopeful that will hold it until September, when the weather starts to cool and the grass starts growing again. Most years I don't need to mow in August.

Then I worked out in our garden plot. Every time I see the big bunches of Roma, San Marzano and Amish Paste tomatoes slowly ripening in the sun, I feel hungry for the great meals they're going to make after we roast, sauce and can them. We're growing 22 sauce tomato plants this year, so it will be a big canning effort in a couple weeks. We just used the last of our 2020 sauce in June. We've also got 4 cherry tomatoes and 3 slicers (Mortgage Lifter).
Old 07-19-2021, 03:04 PM   #1577
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It was a bit cloudy today, so I decided to do a bit of yard work early in the morning. At 9AM, I gave up and went inside to the comfort of the AC. The temperature was only 92F, but the dew point was 70F. My body could not handle that. I was sweating profusely, and my T-shirt was all wet. I was freakin' miserable. Did I say it was partially cloudy?

I think this is one of the reasons SS is in trouble. In the old days before AC, weak guys like me just dropped dead and did not claim SS for very long at all. Now, they stay inside in the comfort of cool dry air from the AC, eat, drink, and merrily buy stuff on Amazon, and claim SS for a looong time.

That's OK we don't want you drop dead NW we would miss you! Have another cold beer...
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #1578
Give me a forum ...

Great kayaking morning, barely a ripple on the lake.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:07 PM   #1579
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
That's OK we don't want you drop dead NW we would miss you! Have another cold beer...
Thanks. I don't want to drop dead either. Before retreating back indoors, I told my wife I quit! She's tougher than I am, she can stay out there as long as she wants.

I will resume the yard work tomorrow, at an earlier hour.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:08 PM   #1580
Give me a forum ...

We did the weekly crop tour and can see some of the corn will most likely not tassel. We'll have some completely barren stalks..

No rain in the forecast either... and PS don't all of you go out and buy long corn positions either, lots of the corn belt is getting good rain...
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote