Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I played 9 holes of golf after getting my cv19 shot. First time in years I walked carrying a bag. Felt great and my mutt enjoyed walking with me. No after effects from the shot btw other than a slight sore arm this morning. Last night I tried a meal kit from 'Home Chef' for the first time and it was very good. It was a Mediterranean Shrimp with Couscous and Feta Cheese dish. I was skeptical as to how fresh the shrimp would taste but was pleasantly surprised. Not cheap but I'm just trying one shipment a month(2 dishes = 4 meals). Will give me a little variety.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Music Lover, the cabin life should be an exciting new journey. I have one at the ranch and enjoy it so much. When I'm not there I want to be there, and would be there full time but my wife doesn't care too. That is totally okay with me thou.
I'm always doing things to improve and add things here and there and have fun doing those projects.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #143
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I worked out, did the almost final touchup of drywall mudding, and spent a ridiculous amount of time researching acoustic guitars on the internet and YouTube. We just bought a cabin and I'm now looking for an cost effective but still decent 2nd guitar that I can leave at the cabin for noodling around and campfire jamming....one that I pass around without worrying if it gets a ding.

Lots of nice used guitars on my local craigslist. No need to pay 2 times as much for new.
Can get a nice taylor or similar for 1/2 of new.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Celebrated receiving my last severance payment from MegaCorp by doing my first on-line cooking class. It was hosted by a restaurant in Cartagena, Colombia and we made empanadas, patacones and arepas. It was a lot of fun for $15 for 2 hours and gave us our dinner as well. Since COVID means that I couldn't go to Colombia this year, at least I was able to bring Colombia to my home. I will be trying another class in the future.
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:13 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Lots of nice used guitars on my local craigslist. No need to pay 2 times as much for new.
Can get a nice taylor or similar for 1/2 of new.
Actually, I have a pretty nice Taylor but I don't want to haul it back and forth and since I'm really a bass player who occasionally likes to play guitar I really can't justify a 2nd higher end guitar that may not get used that much.

I've also been looking for used guitars but still like doing the research...there are a lot of good reviews by skilled players that know a lot more than me.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Music Lover, the cabin life should be an exciting new journey. I have one at the ranch and enjoy it so much. When I'm not there I want to be there, and would be there full time but my wife doesn't care too. That is totally okay with me thou.
I'm always doing things to improve and add things here and there and have fun doing those projects.
I've never owned a cabin before...my GF and I have been using the family cabin but her parents are aging and it will probably be sold in spring. We thought about buying it but it's worth too much and the taxes are high. The place we bought is a third of the price and a third of the taxes.

Also, one of my bandmates owns the cabin next door so we'll know some people out there...that's also why I'm looking for 2nd acoustic guitar to leave there as I'm sure there will be a lot of campfire playing.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Last night I tried a meal kit from 'Home Chef' for the first time and it was very good. It was a Mediterranean Shrimp with Couscous and Feta Cheese dish. I was skeptical as to how fresh the shrimp would taste but was pleasantly surprised. Not cheap but I'm just trying one shipment a month(2 dishes = 4 meals). Will give me a little variety.

Glad to read this. Coincidentally, I picked up one of those Home Chef kits yesterday as an impulse buy at Harris Teeter (grocery store), a chicken meal. Iím looking forward to trying it!

Cost be damned. Virus begone!!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #148
Administrator

Started doing my state taxes and discovered an error in the instruction booklet for Connecticut's Form 1040. I will call the Dept. of Revenue Services on Tuesday to discuss it with them.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:24 PM   #149

going back to work, again

Got a late evening call yesterday--previous employer is calling all retired nurses and nurse managers to come back to gear up for Covid vaccine clinics.

My answer--if I get my vaccine first, you bet I will be there!
I go Tuesday for my first shot and Thursday have online orientation.
I get to set my salary, number of days I will work, and when I plan to start (I told them not until both shots are in my arms!)
But the prize is getting the vaccine.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #150
Administrator

Sounds like a good deal to me.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:41 PM   #151
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Got a late evening call yesterday--previous employer is calling all retired nurses and nurse managers to come back to gear up for Covid vaccine clinics.

I get to set my salary, number of days I will work, and when I plan to start (I told them not until both shots are in my arms!)
Interesting, makes me wonder if I would be willing to return to work if I was offered the vaccine. Would be tempting as I've just spent the past 4 1/2 hours calling to try to get an appointment at a mass vaccination site next week. Unable to get through even though I've made 347 attempts so far. They are taking calls (assuming you can get through) until 8pm or until all 9,000 appointments are filled.

Whaddya do all day...

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:48 PM   #152

I am looking forward to returning this time (#4!).
Mass vaccination clinics is true Public Health!!
Old 01-16-2021, 01:44 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Interesting, makes me wonder if I would be willing to return to work if I was offered the vaccine. Would be tempting as I've just spent the past 4 1/2 hours calling to try to get an appointment at a mass vaccination site next week. Unable to get through even though I've made 347 attempts so far. They are taking calls (assuming you can get through) until 8pm or until all 9,000 appointments are filled.

Whaddya do all day...
Wow. That's tough. I did the online thing Tuesday and bet I tried a 100 times. System overload. Lucky to get through. I know some who called instead of trying online and they got...."you are number 6000 in the que". Ha.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:45 PM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Gorgeous weather on the west coast today. Went out this morning on my mountain bike for 3-1/2 hours, 30 miles and 3,500 ft of hill climbing.

Before I left this morning I put a pork shoulder on low and slow heat for pulled pork. A little later going to take about a pound of that lovely pork, 1/2 dz tortillas and other fixings out to a local brewery to enjoy with my favorite porter and beautiful wife.

Life is good!
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #155

Helped my daughter put a border of paving blocks around a couple of vegetable beds, and ordered a couple of paint samples for the living room walls.

Our outside work was interrupted by afternoon rain, and we'll have to continue tomorrow.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:24 PM   #156
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Wow. That's tough. I did the online thing Tuesday and bet I tried a 100 times. System overload. Lucky to get through. I know some who called instead of trying online and they got...."you are number 6000 in the que". Ha.
Unfortunately registration for this mass vaccination site is via phone only and they don't put you in a que, you either get through to a live person or get a busy signal. I ended up getting a busy signal 659 times and never got to make an appointment.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:43 AM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

Managed to register online for Covid vaccination. No indication of how long the wait will be. But I expect months. This is in Norway. We are among the slowest to roll out the vaccine. But fortunately the epidemic hasn't been as bad here as in some other countries.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:50 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
.......... I ended up getting a busy signal 659 times ...........
You need to learn persistence.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:09 PM   #159
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You need to learn persistence.
And I will need to learn patience - projected timeline for us to get vaccinated is between July and September (and we are over 60!). Since this is a government estimate, I am planning for an even longer wait. Thankfully, we have enough COVID safe activities to keep us occupied until then.
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:42 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post

There is a huge need for qualified staff. Thank you for being willing! : )
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote