Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 05:51 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Started doing my state taxes and discovered an error in the instruction booklet for Connecticut's Form 1040. I will call the Dept. of Revenue Services on Tuesday to discuss it with them.
This brings to mind some popular sitcom characters, Felix Unger, Spock, Data, and Sheldon Cooper, for example.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2021, 06:01 PM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

Took my dog for a very long walk. We do this everyday for her health and mine. The weather was delightful.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:09 PM   #163

Recently I realized that the fancy labeled spice bottles in the stylish rotating rack I've had for a few years are not airtight. Also, I like to keep my seasonings near the stove, which means the bottles sometimes get warm and also spattered and dusty. So I transfered them to the Spice Island bottles my mom gave me, and will keep them on a couple trays in the cupboard by the stove.

Labels are easier to see on the lids, so I removed the Spice Island labels and made stickers for the lids, themed after the periodic table. Some seasons are yet to be added, but here's what I have so far:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spice_bottles.JPG (162.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 01-18-2021, 06:20 PM   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Started 3 new woodworking projects. A drawer cabinet for my workshop, a toybox, and a cutting board.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:38 PM   #165
Administrator

I watched a really great documentary film - "With: A Journey to the Slow Life". It captures how I feel when I make music with friends.

Old 01-18-2021, 07:53 PM   #166
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Built a shelf for some older work cloths in the garage that I use when I go to the ranch. I made a connection bolt for a copping saw that I had lost the one end to connect the 6.5 inch blade. I also took off dryer venting hose and replaced it with new aluminum dryer flex hose. Took a walk and bummed around the rest of the day.

It snowed with icy roads so I took advantage of that when I opted to stay home.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:02 AM   #167
Administrator

Quote:
Started doing my state taxes and discovered an error in the instruction booklet for Connecticut's Form 1040. I will call the Dept. of Revenue Services on Tuesday to discuss it with them.
Well, I made my call today. The person I spoke with kept putting me on hold (so she could talk to the agency lawyers). I believe I eventually convinced her that my interpretation of the tax laws is correct and the booklet is wrong, but she said she was getting pushback from legal. She asked if I was a tax professional. I told her no, just a retired assistant attorney general who was quite happy to talk with the DRS lawyers about statutory interpretation. That made her laugh. She took my number and promised to call me back. We shall see.

I am going to file my taxes according to my (correct) interpretation of the statutes. If I have to fight them in court, I've got nothing better to do with my time. It's only about an $87 issue for the young wife and me, but if the booklet were followed as currently written, it will lead thousands of retired teachers to pay more taxes than required. Which is why if the DRS ultimately doesn't agree with me, my next call will be to the Connecticut Education Association's lawyers. They might swing a bigger stick with the DRS.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #168

Quote:
Well, I made my call today. The person I spoke with kept putting me on hold (so she could talk to the agency lawyers). I believe I eventually convinced her that my interpretation of the tax laws is correct and the booklet is wrong, but she said she was getting pushback from legal. She asked if I was a tax professional. I told her no, just a retired assistant attorney general who was quite happy to talk with the DRS lawyers about statutory interpretation. That made her laugh. She took my number and promised to call me back. We shall see.

I am going to file my taxes according to my (correct) interpretation of the statutes. If I have to fight them in court, I've got nothing better to do with my time. It's only about an $87 issue for the young wife and me, but if the booklet were followed as currently written, it will lead thousands of retired teachers to pay more taxes than required. Which is why if the DRS ultimately doesn't agree with me, my next call will be to the Connecticut Education Association's lawyers. They might swing a bigger stick with the DRS.
"What will you do all day?" indeed....

Me, I just flew a new R/C aircraft, the UMX Ultrix in the back yard and managed to get it stuck in one of the airplane-eating trees. Twitchy little bugger! This is the package ordered from Amazon and delivered six weeks later by USPS. I did get it back with the aid of a snow rake, a device used to rake snow off the roof in heavy snows. It has about a 20-foot pole that has proven useful for more than raking snow off the roof. I actually did use it to rake snow once.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:20 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Woke up to fresh fluffy snow. DW kept telling me we had a lot more than the six inches I thought. When I went to snowblow I figured out she was correct, as normal. When I used a ruler it said twelve inches in open areas, there's a number of trees around our house making for fun when they decide to dump some snow, pictured.

After the first snowblower run and lunch we went for a walk around the neighborhood; it was a like a party! Many people were out running their snowblowers, a few tourists digging out by hand. Stopped by a friends home as they were dealing with the snow and played with their dog.

When we got home the snow stopped for today and I had to clear out the three feet of snow the grader operator piled at the end of our driveway. Finally came in and we're enjoying a cup of coffee and watching snow dropping from the trees.20210119_110638.jpeg
Old 01-19-2021, 02:24 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

I bought a new (used) guitar today...was going to post in "blow that dough" but paid so little that I thought it would be inappropriate.

I was looking for an inexpensive 2nd acoustic guitar to leave at our new cabin and was complaining to a friend that so many people on Marketplace are trying to sell used guitars for more than list price. He offered me his hardly used Art & Lutherie acoustic for a ridiculous $125...he paid a little over $300 a few years ago and they now sell for $600+. He said that I let him have some extra weight plates years ago that he still has so don't worry about it.

Although it's in the budget guitar category, it sounds nice, has good action, and is easy to play.
20210119_135519 (2).jpg
Old 01-19-2021, 03:41 PM   #171

Week two of minimal inside interaction: cancelled haircut appointment for next week, added a few things to tomorrow's curbside grocery pickup, ordered and curbside picked-up yarn for two more prayer shawls. However, I did make a quick Costco run as we were out of Kleenex and my contact lens solution is on sale 25% off this month so I wanted to stock up. Put on KN95 with cloth mask on top, but I picked a good day as it's drizzling and the parking lot was much emptier than usual. Got some wine, beef, lamb, and veggies along with the essentials and was still out the door in 20 minutes. Took the doggie for a very short walk in between drizzles. We're forecast to have weather like this the rest of the week - very unusual for us Texans used to our blue skies and sunshine!
Old 01-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Spent the morning working on small home maintenance projects and getting estimates for duct work (cleaning/leak test/sealing).

At noon listened to a Fidelity webinar on their 2021 outlook and how it related to investing, retirement, and estate planning.

After the seminar, the weather was sunny breezy, and in the 40's, so I decided to go golfing. met up with 2 other folks I knew, and we socially-distanced walked the course. Bundled up with winter golf gloves made it very comfortable.Found a dozen balls worth keeping.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:58 PM   #173

on saturday i got a haircut then did the weekly grocery shopping. yeaterday, my wife and i made a run to our fav bakery. then a stop at Target pick up a new toaster but the first store was out-of-stock contrary to their online inventory. we stopped at a second Target store to see if they had the desired toaster and they but again this was contrary to their online inventory. today we declared a personal holiday. had b'fast and lunch in bed, watched tv and napped. finally rolled out around 4pm.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 01-19-2021, 07:53 PM   #174
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll give the highlights for today.
Took lunch to my wife at her j*b. Went for a 3 mile walk. Took a nap. Went for a 2 mile walk. Listened to an excellent podcast. Took my daughter driving (she has her learners permit). Made dinner for family. Great Day !
Old 01-20-2021, 05:54 AM   #175
Moderator Emeritus

Went for a snowy 5 mile hike. Saw more bald eagles (5) than people (0). A perfect day.
And set up my Alexa Echo Show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eagle 8 01192021.jpg (300.2 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-20-2021, 07:09 AM   #176

Well, we had some excitement today. I got up at 6:45 AM and was sitting at the PC. At 7:00 everything went dark. We were experiencing almost hurricane force winds, and So Cal Edison shut off the power.
Fortunately, some time ago I bought a Generac 4500 watt generator. I also bought a heavy duty triple plug and a Power strip. Another thing I did was to buy a 6 foot heavy duty appliance extension cord. The refrigerator is plugged into it, so I do not have to move the refrigerator to hook it to the generator.
I plugged the refrigerator and the small freezer into the triple plug along with the power strip. That way we could also charge our readers and smartphones.
I shut down the generator at dark, as It makes a lot of noise.
Fortunately, it was not that cold (65), so we just put a comforter on the bed.
I was awakened at about 2 AM as the power come on. I turned on the FAU and went back to bed.
I have to refill the gas tank and check the oil on the generator, then refill my gas can. I put fuel stabilizer in it to keep it from gumming up..
Old 01-20-2021, 07:19 AM   #177
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I have to refill the gas tank and check the oil on the generator, then refill my gas can. I put fuel stabilizer in it to keep it from gumming up..
Something I learned the hard way is fuel stabilizer alone may not prevent problems. When shutting down the generator always do so by turning off the fuel supply and allowing the carburetor/fuel system to run dry. I've been doing this with my old Generac for many years and it still starts on the first pull.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:27 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Something I learned the hard way is fuel stabilizer alone may not prevent problems. When shutting down the generator always do so by turning off the fuel supply and allowing the carburetor/fuel system to run dry. I've been doing this with my old Generac for many years and it still starts on the first pull.
Thank you for the information. I had a heck of a time getting mine started, because I thing I flooded it.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:53 AM   #179
Moderator Emeritus

This morning, as I was coming back from a ski trip, I slipped on a sheet of black ice and fell down a flight of stairs. Nothing broken, but I'm pretty banged up. My upper back and neck are really sore.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:00 AM   #180

Bummer!
Black ice is one of the most dangerous things in existence, whether on foot or in a car. Hope you recover quickly; it has to be very painful.