Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hiked the first segment of the southernmost part of the Cross County Trail. Went under a cool barrel arch bridge constructed decades ago by inmates of the now decommissioned nearby prison. Supposedly it is the only of its kind in Virginia.

Fun afternoon, temps mid 40s and sunny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210119_201734120~2.jpg (420.8 KB, 49 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2021, 10:48 AM   #182
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Well, we had some excitement today. I got up at 6:45 AM and was sitting at the PC. At 7:00 everything went dark. We were experiencing almost hurricane force winds, and So Cal Edison shut off the power.
I heard about those high winds in California! Pretty amazing. Glad you got through the rough patch of weather and hope your home wasn't damaged.

I almost feel guilty because we have been having beautiful weather here in New Orleans the past day or two, sunny and around 70F, warm enough for shorts and sandals, no winds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
This morning, as I was coming back from a ski trip, I slipped on a sheet of black ice and fell down a flight of stairs. Nothing broken, but I'm pretty banged up. My upper back and neck are really sore.
Eek, that sounds like a nasty fall. Hope you can rest today and recover soon. I used to fall pretty often before I had my cataracts and knee fixed. Now I can see better so I don't bump into stuff, and my knee is stable and doesn't buckle, so I don't fall. This has nothing to do with the reasons for your fall, but just explaining that I know how much falls hurt and I am sorry you fell down those stairs and got so banged up.

On the bright side, I am glad you got to go on the ski trip! That sounds like fun and good exercise.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:01 PM   #183

The good news is that after the fiasco last week at the county health department for COVID vaccinations they displayed some sense and now do it by appointment only, made either by phone, which I didn't bother with, or online, which I did. The bad news is that my appointment is 10,276 and they've been running about 500 vaccinations at a time.

While I was doing that, unknown to me at the time is that after DW's hair appointment this morning she made vaccination appointments for both of us at a Walgreen's drugstore. Hers will be way after mine because she's just shy of 65 but she said I'm about a third of the way down on the list that's on the first page at that particular drugstore. Evidently each one keeps it's own wait list.

So there is hope that both of us will get vaccinated sometime in the foreseeable future.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:30 PM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Hiked the first segment of the southernmost part of the Cross County Trail. Went under a cool barrel arch bridge constructed decades ago by inmates of the now decommissioned nearby prison. Supposedly it is the only of its kind in Virginia.

Fun afternoon, temps mid 40s and sunny.

perfect hiking conditions.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:35 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

We could not do New Years Eve this year. DW spent New Years Eve in the ER and self there and the parking lot. We saved the bubbly for another day.

Today was the day.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #186

it's way past due time for a new desktop PC so my buddy and i drove to the local MicroCenter store and i picked out the various parts and components....case, CPU, motherboard, RAM, drives, etc. they'll be putting it all together and i should have it next week.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 01-21-2021, 05:54 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Spent the day at the ranch cabin. Took a walk down along the river, hauled some wood on sled up to the cabin and eat lunch there. Went down and cut some river bar willow and did some small wreath hoops up in the warm cabin.

A beautiful day in paradise.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:02 PM   #188

Walked past a furniture store last week and saw some recliner chairs in the window that looked amazingly comfortable. We have a couple in the living room that are only a few years old but I don't like them at all. Mentioned it to DW, expecting pushback, but it turned out that she had seen the same ones and was also interested in replacements.

So we went there this morning and bought one (the one for me). She wants to think about the one for her a bit more. Typical store session: I would have been in and out in ten minutes, because like most guys I go to a store to BUY something. Like most women, DW goes to a store to "SHOP" for something.

But eventually we managed to escape after making an order. About 10 weeks to delivery, which isn't all that bad. And the chair is incredibly comfortable, as expected.

Then after we got home, UPS delivered my annual order of maple syrup. I'm extremely picky about that, since I consider real Vermont maple syrup to be one of the most wonderful things on the face of the earth. I order some every year from a small Vermont farm. There is simply nothing like it on pancakes, waffles, ice cream, or so many other foods.

If you haven't had any lately, it's interesting to me that a few years ago they changed the designations for different grades of maple syrup.

Old Name New Name
Fancy Grade A Golden Color and Delicate Flavor
Medium Amber Grade A Amber Color and Rich Flavor
Dark Amber Grade A Dark Color and Robust Flavor
Grade B Grade A Very Dark Strong Flavor

I believe the lightest "Golden" is the most popular, but I love the strong maple flavor so I've always bought the Grade B (Very Dark). I had a good friend who lived in Vermont and knew all the local producers, but he died a few years ago and since then I've bought from a family farm in northern Vermont that does a great job.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:14 PM   #189
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If you haven't had any lately, it's interesting to me that a few years ago they changed the designations for different grades of maple syrup.

Old Name New Name
Fancy Grade A Golden Color and Delicate Flavor
Medium Amber Grade A Amber Color and Rich Flavor
Dark Amber Grade A Dark Color and Robust Flavor
Grade B Grade A Very Dark Strong Flavor

Now everyone gets a Grade A trophy.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:28 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Went downtown to the riverwalk with our little dog. A couple miles made her pretty quiet. We met a few others walking, a couple guys were fly fishing the river, looked cold.

After lunch and coffee I went out front to chip the remaining ice in the driveway off before the next snowstorm that is starting as I type this. The forecast suggests two storms dropping 12"-18" over the next few days. Hopefully it's true.

As I was finishing up the driveway DW said her ear was blocked. I tried unsuccessfully to clear it. So as the storm is starting I'm sitting outside Urgent Care. [emoji56]
ETA: All is well with her ears. When I was outside I noticed a steady flow of people who were receiving Covid-19 vaccines.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:55 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Day 1 of the storm, woke up to a couple inches of fluffy snow that our dog liked. She had a bath this morning and a blow dry.

DW and I walked around the neighborhood, only saw one couple. Snowplow people haven't been by and its totally quiet. I saw two driveways that were cleaned off. I just did ours, maybe 4" total so far. I think it's supposed to snow more overnight, then a break for a day, then several more days of snow.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:11 PM   #192

Today's USPS Daily Digest e-mail indicated that a letter from the IRS was on the way. It turned out to be nothing, but I had a few hours of anxiety as I waited for the mail. Normally I wouldn't be so worried, but I did something tricky in 2019 with one of the entities I manage (the letter was addressed to the entity). I paid for two independent opinions from CPAs regarding the tax-free status of transaction, but with the IRS you never know - it always wants its pound of flesh. Now it's time to relax, have some chocolate, and watch some trash on Netflix.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:18 PM   #193
Recycles dryer sheets

Started a 5 gallon batch of amber ale. I "ground" the grain using an old food processor which wasn't very efficient but it seemed to get the job done. It's bubbling away now and hopefully will be ready to taste in 4 to 5 weeks. If it turns out good, I will need to "Blow That Dough" and get a proper grain mill for the future.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:21 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Drove out to the waterfront where I had a nice view of the snowy mountains.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:57 PM   #195

just got a call that our new custom Win10 desktop is ready to be picked up. i'm installing the two old drives from the current PC. i can't get to the pickup until monday. gonna be a lonnnnng weekend in anticipation.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
Old 01-23-2021, 03:08 PM   #196

It's windy and cold today so we pretty much stayed inside, just as we plan to do for the rest of the week since the weather is going to be even worse, with snow, freezing rain, and rain, and various mixtures thereof. I did fix up a mount for the runcam on one of the airplanes, and also hooked up one of the "lost airplane finders" on that one. A "lost airplane finder" is basically a noisemaker that's hooked up in series with one of the control surface cables. If it doesn't sense any signal for about a minute it starts a loud beeping noise. I'll do the rest of the airplanes during the next week or so.

Anyone who has searched for a lost R/C airplane in a cornfield or woods will immediately know the value of these cheap devices. Yes it's dependent on the battery connections remaining intact but it's better than nothing.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:52 PM   #197

Walked about a mile on the lake today. About a 6 degree windchill, but bright and sunny. Lots of skaters and fishermen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210124_140847[1].jpg (515.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-24-2021, 03:45 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Got up to fresh snow, snowball style. Ran the snowblower once, maybe 4", its still snowing despite the forecast. We're looking at a local one and a couple national and it's going to stop sometime and resume snowing sometime. Maybe 4"-12" overnight depending upon who you believe. DW has a 9am doctor appointment in the morning and I'll be taking her despite the weather.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:29 PM   #199
Moderator Emeritus

It got up to 79F here in New Orleans today, which was nice after some chilly weather earlier this month.

We went out to lunch, and split a grilled chicken wrap for $6 each including tax and tip. There was just one other table with customers, clear on the other side of the (very large) restaurant, and only one employee was there. It's amazing to me that they are still in business.

Then, we went to the boat launch to do some bird-watching, but since it was a Sunday with pleasant weather it was very crowded. But not so many birds; we only saw two pelicans and some seagulls. So we left right away and instead, went on a pleasure drive.

I suppose our day's activities sound terribly boring but as always we had a great time.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:36 PM   #200
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It got up to 79F here in New Orleans today....
Wow! The young wife and I have been wanting to take a trip to New Orleans and wondering when would be the best time of year so that the heat will be bearable. But if it is 79 deg. in January, I don't know when that ever would be.