What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I painted the molding for the she shed, and installed it.

Tuesday morning is my weekly date time with Mom. Brought her some cookies and planned a trip to Kansas City for a visit with her sister.

Weather in CA is gorgeous so got out on my bicycle for 20 miles this afternoon. That was followed by a walk around the park with lovely wife, dinner and a bottle of wine.

Couldn’t ask for a better day.

Went grocery shopping this morning at 6:30am. When I was checking out the lady said she couldn't ring up a bottle of wine for 5 minutes. So I said I'll put it on the belt last. I am guessing but there is a homeless camp near the store and maybe they don't want to sell them alcohol during the night. Got everything rung up and then had to wait 2 minutes until 7:01am before she could add the wine. Maybe its programmed into the register to not accept it until that time.

It's probably a remnant of state blue laws from Prohibition. Here in WV no alcoholic beverages can be sold on Sunday before 1:00 PM. I suppose there's an interesting history of drunks showing up for Sunday services behind that law.:angel:

When we first moved to Connecticut, you couldn't buy booze after 8pm, and not at all on Sunday. So you had to plan ahead. It was well into the 2000's before that changed. Still can't buy anything but beer in the grocery store.

In Arizona, alcohol sales are prohibited from 2AM to 6AM. Bars are also closed at 2AM.

Prior to 2010, alcohol sales on Sunday were not allowed before noon.

I successfully signed up on a waiting list for Covid vaccine this morning.

I just got out of our swim spa. I haven't been in since November. (Spa yes, swim, no). My son is snowboarding this afternoon at the resort visible from our house. There is still snow on parts of the deck, but not for long. I've been walking for exercise. I forgot the joy of swimming with the pandemic. Moving the whole body, and no joint pains. It's probably a good day for grilling as well. Sad that the short eastern ski season is ending soon, but happy for spring.

Visited my camp today, about a foot of snow, 55F. Bright sunshine. Worked on overall suntan for about an hour. It got cloudy around 2PM. Then came home. Washed truck, washed garage floor to clean out winter crud. Looks like rain is on the way now.

I did my bi-weekly run to the grocery store. Woohoo!

My first Monday of retirement. Got up and we have around 6” of snow, temp is 17F with a 4F wind chill. It’s bad since we live in Louisiana. The upside is I’m not getting calls and emails from work trying to deal with emergency’s. I’m doing nothing but watch the birds eat.

What a great feeling....lol...relax and have some hot chocolate.

One of the best days I have had in a long time. After a long cold winter we had a sunny 70 degree day. I took a hike with 3 friends by a scenic, flowing river. Then we went for coffee and sat outside in the warm sunshine and chatted about an hour. Came home had some lunch then took an hour long bike ride with DH. Cold weather is going to return but one day of spring in February was much appreciated.

DW and I went for our second vaccine shot yesterday and both our arms are very sore this am. The 1st one was very little pain for us,and I had heard differant things about #2. She said she felt it more going in and was sore all afternoon. I didn't really feel it going in not very sore till this am. I am also sneezing and very runny nose ,like allergy type stuff. Oh well I'm just glad to have them over with and hope they do help keep us safe.

Received a notice for jury duty today. In the paperwork accompanying the notice is that one can request being excused if one is over 70. Well, I'm 70 now, but will be 71 by the time the jury duty starts in April so I wrote a letter requesting excusal on those grounds. An additional page notes that one can request being excused if over 65 because the CDC says that people over 65 are more vulnerable to COVID-19. So I asked for excusal for that reason too.

Hopefully they'll take the hint that I don't want to be there.

"Over 70" just means you've had your 70th birthday; no need to be 71.

That's the way you see it and I see it. But what matters is the way the Clerk of the Circuit Court in WV sees it. So I wanted to be clear about that in the letter.

Ah, 71 - the halcyon days....as Mary Hopkin sang "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ".....if only I could remember them clearly...so terribly long ago..

Received a notice for jury duty today. In the paperwork accompanying the notice is that one can request being excused if one is over 70. Well, I'm 70 now, but will be 71 by the time the jury duty starts in April so I wrote a letter requesting excusal on those grounds. An additional page notes that one can request being excused if over 65 because the CDC says that people over 65 are more vulnerable to COVID-19. So I asked for excusal for that reason too.

With your work in law enforcement, you would be the first person thrown out of the pool. Excusal saves spending the day waiting for them to say they don't want you anyway.

With your work in law enforcement, you would be the first person thrown out of the pool. Excusal saves spending the day waiting for them to say they don't want you anyway.

Not necessarily, if it is a civil suit. DH sat on a jury, while he was an active LE officer, for a product liability case.

Yesterday: I read for eight hours. Not all at once - 4 hours in the morning and 4 in the evening.

This is one of the greatest luxuries of retirement in my book - the time to devote as many hours as I choose in a day to reading for pleasure.

karma! people who don't want to serve get called. me? i want to serve but can't get called.

Making a big pot of black eyed peas, smoked sausage and mustard greens for dinner tonight.
Yum

Finally ordered my Ford Bronco. Covid and supplier issues have delayed the release. Don't know when I'm going to get it. Also did some woodworking, shopping at Menards, lunch at Jimmy Johns and a visit to MIL.

took my wife to our doc for a pre-op exam for her bunion removal. we both took naps when we returned home (naps are grrrrrrrreat!). friday is pizza night around here...a small 1/2 cheese, 1/2 green pepper pan pizza.

yesterday made homemade chicken noodle soup.
Today DW is at work so ...
* went to the town dump
* did some grocery shopping
* picked up some fish at the local fish coop
* installed a light in upstairs closet
* installed light dimmer for downstair hall lights
* went to the PO to mail a few items
* went to the local outdoor store and bought some microspikes for my boots - was
hiking yesterday ad took a few spills on the icy trail

Was planning to start the taxes but, am running out of steam now. Maybe tomorrow.

We picked up DGD from school yesterday & because her daddy was working late DD came to pick her up. DGD had a suggestion that we all play cards so we sat down and played Uno! We had planned to go out to eat at a nice little local place but DD ordered pizza for us while we played. It turned into a wonderful fun filled family evening after DSnL came by & joined us too. I love hearing my 8 yr. old DGD laugh when she beats Papa in a hand. I'm just an old softy when it comes to her!

Got my second Pfizer COVID-19 shot this morning!:dance:

This really won't change anything in my behavior until about a month after DW also has both of her shots but at least it is progress.

Had a delivery of some radio control airplane stuff and played with that some in the basement, three radio receivers and two ESCs (electronic speed controls) for some airplanes that have yet to be delivered. Before I start building an airplane I like to have everything available for trial fitting and such.

Got notices from both the IRS and the State of Louisiana, that the info I submitted via TurboTax for payments with my 2020 tax returns, was incorrect. They submitted the account number to the bank and the bank said no such account.

Well I know I still have an account! I log into it every day. So, I probably gave them the wrong number. I went online and paid both again, re-copying the account number and routing number from one of my checks. If these payments get kicked back, I'll try using a credit card.

This is DEFINITE proof that I am now older than Methuselah! Gee. What a milestone. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 231
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom