Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 06:39 PM   #901
Administrator

This morning, we went to the plant nursery and bought a very large number of annuals, which the young wife planted all about the property. While she was doing that, I chopped and bagged/bundled brush so that it can be put out for the bulk trash pickup this weekend. I collect all the branches that fall out of our trees over the winter in a big pile just for that purpose. Since we had a tropical storm roar through last summer, there were more downed branches than usual. Over this past winter, I also chopped down two very overgrown and ugly shrubs that were against our back fence, so it was an extra large pile this year, requiring several hours of work with machete, axe, bags and twine. I'm pretty sore this evening.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2021, 06:58 PM   #902
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I was in the middle of a project to put down waterproof vinyl planks for my kitchen. I set up the saws in the back patio, so I could run in/out of the kitchen to make cuts outside.

My 5-year-old grandniece visited. My sister lives nearby, and as my grandniece spends the day with her, she comes by often. She grabbed a broom and dustpan, and swept the patio for me.

I cut some more planks, and created more sawdust. I told my grandniece, "There, I made some more sawdust for you". She beamed, "Thank you".

As she left, she told my wife not to sweep the sawdust, and to save it for her to sweep tomorrow. Sweet little girl. Now that the whole extended family has been vaccinated, we can see my grandniece without restrictions.
My grandniece visited us again today. Upon seeing the sawdust in the patio that we "saved" for her, she beamed, "You made a mess!"

She then proceeded to sweep it up. And I praised her for being a good helper.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-28-2021, 07:14 PM   #903
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got my plow truck back from the shop today. He said the planetary gears in the transfer case were welded together. He also replaced u-joints in the front drive as well as axel and pinon seals, etc. The truck had just been in the shop for new motor and transmission mounts. I haven't really done that much plowing this winter mostly because the truck has been in the shop. Too many years of plowing has added up. Hopefully, it will do better next winter. I sure can't see subjecting a new pickup to the abuse this one gets, so I just keep getting it repaired. When I was younger I did a lot of the maintenance, but I am too old to crawl around in the snow, dirt and mud so I take it in. When the house is done, I will have a nice large garage, but by then I may be too old to work under a car in a nice, clean, heated garage! (Financial independence and retirement do have their rewards.)
Old 04-28-2021, 07:32 PM   #904
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My grandniece visited us again today. Upon seeing the sawdust in the patio that we "saved" for her, she beamed, "You made a mess!"

That makes me smile! LOL I'm not sure but I don't beleive many her age would do something like that. I would say she was brought up very well.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #905
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Spending a few days in the RV and had an unusual experience last evening. A few minutes after it got dark, a huge roar started from across the lake. It lasted for what I estimated to be 60 seconds, so loud that it shook the RV. It varied in intensity, growing so loud at one point I thought a large, low flying aircraft was about to crash.

Today I learned we are about a dozen miles from the SpaceX rocket development facility and what we were hearing was a test of a Raptor engine. The facility is just outside the small town of McGregor, TX. I can't imagine how loud those tests must be for anyone living there.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:36 AM   #906
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Don't you just love 5 year olds, always wanting to help! Our 5 yr old DGS is the same way.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:23 PM   #907

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Spending a few days in the RV and had an unusual experience last evening. A few minutes after it got dark, a huge roar started from across the lake. It lasted for what I estimated to be 60 seconds, so loud that it shook the RV. It varied in intensity, growing so loud at one point I thought a large, low flying aircraft was about to crash.

Today I learned we are about a dozen miles from the SpaceX rocket development facility and what we were hearing was a test of a Raptor engine. The facility is just outside the small town of McGregor, TX. I can't imagine how loud those tests must be for anyone living there.
You must have been at Mother Neff State Park. We spent a night there on our way back from Arkansas two weeks ago. Heard about 4 tests, 2 long and loud, 2 shorter, in the 18 hours we were in the park. Beautiful park with best campsites in any park in TX we've been to. The wildflowers must be at their peak now.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:25 PM   #908

Went back to the gym for the first time since early March last year. Surprised that I hadn't lost all of the strength I had built up in the year+ I'd been going to the gym (had never been a gym person before). Took it easy today and will ramp back up to more reps before I start adding more weight back. Felt great!
Old 04-30-2021, 04:27 PM   #909
Moderator Emeritus

Watched 5" of rain fall here today. We needed it.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:29 PM   #910
Give me a forum ...

Cut down the Gear Lever on my project MGB and install an anti-rattle damper that some mechanic had really messed up. 4 hours playing with the really oily bits. But all done now and new prop shaft bolts to boot.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:30 PM   #911
Give me a forum ...

^ I would love to watch it rain that would be a great day!! We measure rain here in hundreds not inches.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:37 PM   #912
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ I would love to watch it rain that would be a great day!! We measure rain here in hundreds not inches.
You should have been here in August 2017 when storm Harvey dropped 53" of rain on us in a few days. Nuts! You could have brought your boat!

The storm dropped an estimated 27 Trillion gallons of water on Texas.

Today's 5" storm is just a quick shower around here.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:42 PM   #913
Give me a forum ...

OMG! I couldn't imagine that! When it rains , it pours.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:22 PM   #914
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
OMG! I couldn't imagine that! When it rains , it pours.
This is the reason I call south Texas "The Great Swamp"!
Old 04-30-2021, 07:09 PM   #915
Administrator

The shad are running here in Connecticut, so we had shad roe for dinner. It was quite good.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:30 PM   #916
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That makes me smile! LOL I'm not sure but I don't beleive many her age would do something like that. I would say she was brought up very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Don't you just love 5 year olds, always wanting to help! Our 5 yr old DGS is the same way.
Little kids are wonderful. Sadly, they may not stay the same when they get to teenage years.

We may never have grandchildren, so look at our only grandniece as a grandchild. She will soon have a cousin, a son by my other niece. We are all looking forward to that.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-30-2021, 07:51 PM   #917
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You should have been here in August 2017 when storm Harvey dropped 53" of rain on us in a few days. Nuts! You could have brought your boat!

The storm dropped an estimated 27 Trillion gallons of water on Texas.

Today's 5" storm is just a quick shower around here.
I remember that in just a few days of deluge, Texas drought was over. All the reservoirs were refilled, just like that.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:02 PM   #918
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Little kids are wonderful. Sadly, they may not stay the same when they get to teenage years.

We may never have grandchildren, so look at our only grandniece as a grandchild. She will soon have a cousin, a son by my other niece. We are all looking forward to that.
We may not have any grandchildren from our son either. We will have a step grand daughter thou. We have been very fortunate to be able to be in her life since one year old, she just turned 4 two days ago. I agree children are very true and sincere and say what's on their mind.
What did you do today? - 2021 version
Old 04-30-2021, 09:15 PM   #919
Moderator Emeritus

What did you do today? - 2021 version

Added 3 redbud trees in celebration of Arbor Day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2931.JPG (1.11 MB, 63 views)
Old 05-01-2021, 02:19 PM   #920
Give me a forum ...

We got our 12 week old shih zhu puppy today. She seems to be settling in OK. 20210501_131339(0).jpeg
Closed Thread