Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 04:45 AM   #1121
Moderator Emeritus

Took a ride on the ebike. Went to the bike shop and picked up DW's ebike. Went for a short ride to acclimate her to the bike. Reorganized the garage to make a bicycle/ charging station.

Continued decluttering by getting a confirmation to buy my brewing equipment. Now to sell more woodworking tools, kegerator, my old bike, and eventually my car.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2021, 04:52 AM   #1122
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Today it was a cold windy day so a good day to get stuff done around the yard. I mowed and worked in yard and garden. After lunch I went and bought a bag of quikrete to make a cemetery marker for a plot.

There is an old country cemetery that I will someday have a marker in after I'm gone. The plot is marked with a rock and I have wanted to mark the spot with a cement small pad with my name in it. So, today I poured a 18x14x4 pad with my name imprint in the cement. I will go dig it down flat with the earth someday.
Nice project! I assume that the marker you made will eventually be replaced by a permanent marker after you pass. My guess that the marker you made is probably better than the ones made by the marker companies.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:32 AM   #1123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Played with Tested and evaluated my new portable inverter generator. Very quiet, compact, reasonably lightweight (100lbs) and with enough juice to power the RV, including one A/C unit.
Which one did you go with? We have a Champion 3100 thats been great for us. Only issue is running vibrations will chew thru the pull rope after a while. we have fixed it about 4 times now.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:46 AM   #1124

Spent 5 hours replacing the front wheel bearings and brakes on the DW Jetta.
Bearings $100, New brake pads $45
Dealer estimate was $1000... Or $171/Hr.... Now if I could get paid like that....
Old 05-26-2021, 06:04 AM   #1125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Nice project! I assume that the marker you made will eventually be replaced by a permanent marker after you pass. My guess that the marker you made is probably better than the ones made by the marker companies.
I never really thought about replacing it but that could happen. The old cemetery is one of very simple headstones or markers. Most are just hand made and most are of natural rock that are from the area to mark the spot. Very simple no fancy headstones just a very rural western cemetery. The small cemetery has sheep fence around it to keep cattle out and a two track dirt road to get to it. Lol

A guy wouldn't want to look like the richest person in that cemetery. Lol

It is a private ranch cemetery but they will let anyone have a spot for burial. My ranch isn't far from it and is a beautiful place in the badlands.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #1126
Give me a forum ...

I do not know the statistics, but it appears that fewer people choose traditional burial over cremation. The cemetery where my father lies has been very slow in filling up, and there are so few cemeteries here for a metropolitan area of almost 5 million people.

Speaking of headstones, when in Saint John New Brunswick, I walked through a cemetery for loyalists - Americans who did not agree with the American independence from England and fled to Canada - which is situated in downtown, right outside the historic city market.

The cemetery has been turned in to a city park, but the headstones and grave sites are left undisturbed. The headstones are all worn out, and the markings had turned illegible after 200 years.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-26-2021, 12:44 PM   #1127
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I do not know the statistics, but it appears that fewer people choose traditional burial over cremation.
This is probably good material for a new thread: "What's your "exit" plan".
Old 05-26-2021, 01:57 PM   #1128

Had our roof inspected this afternoon after seeing the 3rd house on our street in the past week get a new roof. Yep, the hail storm that roared through Central Texas the middle of last month dented up our roof in several places.

The insurance claim has been started. The insurance deductible has been earmarked and removed from our net worth.

I was ready to move back to California the afternoon the hail storm hit. Unless I want to divorce my DW and depress our only (adult) child, that's not happening.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:09 PM   #1129

Hauled batteries down to the dock and started up jet skis and ‘the big boat’. All three started right up and are running great! I’m off to buy a lottery ticket while I’m hot.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:40 PM   #1130
Give me a forum ...

Got up early as usual and decided if cement headstone/marker was hardened enough I would go dig it in. It was ready, so I loaded it and had to sled the cement pad to where I needed to dig it down flush. The processes went well and now at least I have it marked which was better then just a rock. I will just have a marker there with some ashes buried along with the headstone. I will be cremated also.

I then decided to walk in and check on the goldens to see if there where any chicks yet. I was amazed to see two beautiful baby golden eagles. I have posted in the last month or so and pictures of the eggs and adults sitting and now the birth!!

I then went to the ranch and had lunch and picked wild asparagus for suppah tonight.
The picture were taken with my phone and binoculars so quality is not good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7117.jpg (50.5 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7125.jpg (49.3 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7114.jpg (50.5 KB, 212 views)
Old 05-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
The picture were taken with my phone and binoculars so quality is not good.
Quality is plenty good enough. Way cool!
Old 05-26-2021, 03:46 PM   #1132
Moderator Emeritus

Nice pics of the eaglets!
Old 05-27-2021, 11:20 AM   #1133

This is for yesterday...we had a beautiful sunny and 80 degree day here, so DH and I swam twice in our pool. While it was nice out I rode my bike and did a bit of yard work. We had a food truck in town with fish and chips so that was our big meal of the day. Late afternoon, I went over to visit my Mom and sister. A very nice retiree day!
Old 05-27-2021, 02:11 PM   #1134

Two days ago (Tuesday) DW had a colonoscopy and I was not allowed to wait at the hospital for her so on the way home I stopped and got a couple of Prime Fillet Mignon steaks, which she always wants afterward. Usually we'll go to a restaurant the day after but she's still a bit wary of restaurants so I got those instead. The anesthesia hit her especially hard this time so she slept most of yesterday too and wasn't feeling up to eating steak until today.

So today we had grilled Filet Mignon steaks with mashed potatoes for lunch, and that'll probably hold her off for dinner as well.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:37 PM   #1135
Moderator Emeritus

More decluttering - sold my brewing equipment. Then went for a hike.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:01 PM   #1136

I started doing some self therapy on my shoulder before I start PT. In just two weeks it has improved to where I think I can just do most of what I learned when I went through PT for the other shoulder. And this week I decided to start going to our local state park where we have a nice boulder lined area for swimming. I can stretch and use my shoulder while enjoying the water. I thought I would show how beautiful it is with a Google Maps picture, but their satellite photo makes it look bad. Also in the photos, it had not been repaired after the hurricane, which tore it up pretty bad. But they have it looking very nice now. Me and my shoulder feel great after some time in the water. I bought an annual pass, I will need to go at least 15
times this summer to make that pay off. This will be fun!
Old 05-27-2021, 10:12 PM   #1137
Give me a forum ...

Went camping for the last few days with some old work buddies. We've been doing this for 30+ years, once or twice a year. Weather was a bit rainy, but still had great time. We did a 4-wheel road trip, driving through a gully washer of a storm. It looked more like I was driving down a stream than a road.

Drove out of the storm and into some beautiful weather. We stopped and watched a wild turkey fight and kill a pretty good size snake. That was a new one on me. I knew domestic turkeys could be mean, but didn't know wild turkeys were carnivorous.

I got some video of the battle. I'll try to figure out how to post it tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210526_152527.jpg (938.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-27-2021, 10:22 PM   #1138
Give me a forum ...

Finished up my display cabinet, moved the globe to its new location, built a bookend because I moved the globe, grilled some oysters and drank some good mescal.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:09 AM   #1139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Went camping for the last few days with some old work buddies. We've been doing this for 30+ years, once or twice a year. Weather was a bit rainy, but still had great time. We did a 4-wheel road trip, driving through a gully washer of a storm. It looked more like I was driving down a stream than a road.

Drove out of the storm and into some beautiful weather. We stopped and watched a wild turkey fight and kill a pretty good size snake. That was a new one on me. I knew domestic turkeys could be mean, but didn't know wild turkeys were carnivorous.

I got some video of the battle. I'll try to figure out how to post it tomorrow.
That is very interesting! I would not of believed a turkey would do that. I would love to see the video if or when you can post it.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #1140

Put down lawn fertilizer both front & back. This is perfect timing because we're forecast for off & on rain totaling a bit over an inch between now and Sunday.