Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 01:01 PM   #1221

DW's niece had a baby girl this morning, third child after two boys, now ages 4 and 6. The new addition's name is Nova. I had to duck and run when I asked DW "Why'd they name her after an old Chevy....?"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2021, 01:22 PM   #1222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DW's niece had a baby girl this morning, third child after two boys, now ages 4 and 6. The new addition's name is Nova. I had to duck and run when I asked DW "Why'd they name her after an old Chevy....?"
+1. I think Chevelle would have been a much better choice.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:40 PM   #1223
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Sad day, we put our dog to sleep.

She had no appetite for a few days and then started eating again but it didn't last. We tried boiled chicken and rice, the advice from the vet on another episode. She was losing weight and had no energy when normally she was a very enthusiastic dog. Just not herself. We took her in to the vet and after some testing he called to tell us that she had advanced kidney failure. And it's terminal. We can do comfort treatments but she isn't going to last long.

DH and I had a good cry and then I went in for the euthanasia. Quiet and gentle and kind. The vet and his tech were so helpful, explained every step and offered to stay or leave, whatever I wanted. I talked to her through the whole thing, took the time I needed. We all know that part of loving a pet is letting go when it's time. It's just hard to accept.

We adopted her from the local Humane Society in Dec 2017. She was a stray picked up in Chattanooga, TN and brought to north east Ohio for adoption. They guessed she was at least 4 years old.

Indoors, she was a sweetheart but outside she was very protective and reacted wildly to distractions like bicycles, pedestrians, cars and especially other dogs. She loved our fenced in yard where she could run and patrol and watch for intruders. Loved the mailman, hated the UPS truck. She didn't like dog toys but she loved her rawhide rings and her BED! She slept deep, on her back with all 4 paws in the air. Sometimes she snored.

You were a very good girl, Talia. We are going to miss you for a long time!
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:57 PM   #1224
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yesterday was my 73rd birthday, , so Frank treated me to a birthday lunch at our favorite restaurant. Then he gave me a terrific mp3 of my favorite songs that he created. What a great gift; free (and he's on a tight budget), but something I love having and playing repeatedly. I abandoned my diet for a day and ate whatever I wanted for a change. My DD posted her Happy Birthday wishes to me on Facebook. All in all, a great birthday. Hoping for many more to come.
Oh, hey, Happy Birthday! A friend of mine turned 73 the day before yesterday as well. It sounds like you had a great bday.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:19 PM   #1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yesterday was my 73rd birthday, , so Frank treated me to a birthday lunch at our favorite restaurant. Then he gave me a terrific mp3 of my favorite songs that he created. What a great gift; free (and he's on a tight budget), but something I love having and playing repeatedly. I abandoned my diet for a day and ate whatever I wanted for a change. My DD posted her Happy Birthday wishes to me on Facebook. All in all, a great birthday. Hoping for many more to come.
Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had a lovely day.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:30 PM   #1226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Sad day, we put our dog to sleep.

She had no appetite for a few days and then started eating again but it didn't last. We tried boiled chicken and rice, the advice from the vet on another episode. She was losing weight and had no energy when normally she was a very enthusiastic dog. Just not herself. We took her in to the vet and after some testing he called to tell us that she had advanced kidney failure. And it's terminal. We can do comfort treatments but she isn't going to last long.

DH and I had a good cry and then I went in for the euthanasia. Quiet and gentle and kind. The vet and his tech were so helpful, explained every step and offered to stay or leave, whatever I wanted. I talked to her through the whole thing, took the time I needed. We all know that part of loving a pet is letting go when it's time. It's just hard to accept.

We adopted her from the local Humane Society in Dec 2017. She was a stray picked up in Chattanooga, TN and brought to north east Ohio for adoption. They guessed she was at least 4 years old.

Indoors, she was a sweetheart but outside she was very protective and reacted wildly to distractions like bicycles, pedestrians, cars and especially other dogs. She loved our fenced in yard where she could run and patrol and watch for intruders. Loved the mailman, hated the UPS truck. She didn't like dog toys but she loved her rawhide rings and her BED! She slept deep, on her back with all 4 paws in the air. Sometimes she snored.

You were a very good girl, Talia. We are going to miss you for a long time!
Sorry for your loss.
Some of the happiest days I have ever had were picking up the new puppy.
Some of the saddest days of my life have been putting the beloved companion to "sleep."
Never having had kids and being "dog people" it's a difficult event. We have been thru it 3 times now in 30 years. Picked up our 4th pup in January of 2020 just before Covid. He's been with us pretty much 24/7 since and we are incredibly attached to him and vise versa.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:36 PM   #1227
Give me a forum ...

I got a call from the branch manager of Fidelity's Albuquerque office. The Denver branch fired me as a private client after I complained about their dirty rotten annuity salesman wasting two days of my time. I sat on my hands for a couple years, considering moving to Schwab, until a survey came around about 8 weeks ago and I unloaded about not having an an assigned advisor. This guy was great, understood my frustration and was willing to get me the missing resources. Hopefully they are able to pull this off.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #1228

Put my iPhone in for a battery replacement. I thought I would replace the phone, but one with an optical zoom camera and 5G is still too rich for my blood-especially since I have some history with breaking/drowning them.

Also have my wife's car in for two tires to be replaced after the car suffered pothole damage. Even though one tire had road hazard coverage, it's still a $300+ hit.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:30 AM   #1229
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
Also have my wife's car in for two tires to be replaced after the car suffered pothole damage. Even though one tire had road hazard coverage, it's still a $300+ hit.
Check with your local government. Sometimes you can get reimbursed for pothole damage.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat4ever View Post
Check with your local government. Sometimes you can get reimbursed for pothole damage.
Since the tires didn't go flat until later, we can't remember a specific incident where they were damaged.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:30 PM   #1231

Mowed the front half of the yard starting at 10:00 before the heat & humidity got too bad. Lots of cicadas buzzing around, it got to be a bit of an irritant. DW is off to see the new grandniece and may spend the night there.

Then flushed the water heater, that was a month overdue (I try to do it every two months) and got a good bit of calcium bits out of it.

Ordered a new condensate pump for the other dehumidifier that is now located in the other half of the basement. When the old dishwasher leaked we bought another one for the upstairs to dry out that area and it worked great, but then after a week what to do with it? So we put it downstairs but emptying the bucket is a pain so I'll run a line to outside and need the condensate pump to get the water up and out of the basement.
Old 06-10-2021, 06:56 PM   #1232
Give me a forum ...

It is always interesting what all have done. Some days, some happy day, some days of frustration and days of progress.

Thanks for sharing your days and interesting times.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:05 PM   #1233

Today was a very productive day. I set my scanner up on a TV tray next to my desk. DW is having me scan pictures and other things so she can send them to her sons. Her bible is full of all kinds of things she wanted scanned.
She had a set of clippings from the 40's of poems her mom wrote and had published in a local paper. Needless the paper had gone brown. After some messing around, I found if I scanned it into a PDF file and then used an OCR program, I could get the poems into Word where I could manipulate them as far as size, font, etc.
I also got her new smartphone paired with her Mazda so she can listen to Pandora through the speakers in the car.
I am still recovering from a compression fracture of a disc, so I am going to have a neighbor make a water run for me.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:31 PM   #1234

3rd day of watching my granddaughters. Took the older one (15) for her 2nd Pfizer shot today. She did not want J&J. Did the homeschooling

Otherwise it's been just playing with them & Koda. There's a reason I adopted my kids when I was young.

1st 2 contractors say it'll take weeks [1 @ 2 weeks, 1 @ 6 weeks] to replace kitchen counters. I knew there was a reason I thought about DIY. But I've lost sensation in my hands again so I can't. This idea is going slow [emoji222]
Old 06-10-2021, 10:53 PM   #1235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Mowed the front half of the yard starting at 10:00 before the heat & humidity got too bad. Lots of cicadas buzzing around, it got to be a bit of an irritant. DW is off to see the new grandniece and may spend the night there.

Then flushed the water heater, that was a month overdue (I try to do it every two months) and got a good bit of calcium bits out of it.

Ordered a new condensate pump for the other dehumidifier that is now located in the other half of the basement. When the old dishwasher leaked we bought another one for the upstairs to dry out that area and it worked great, but then after a week what to do with it? So we put it downstairs but emptying the bucket is a pain so I'll run a line to outside and need the condensate pump to get the water up and out of the basement.
Based on your postings pretty much everyday in this thread, you might want to change your sig line.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:59 AM   #1236
Administrator

Harvested my first peas of the season yesterday, which the young wife then prepared for dinner with grilled lamb chops. Mmmmm, good!
Old 06-11-2021, 06:09 AM   #1237

We built a screen door for our condo balcony. We went to Home Depot and Lowes to buy a screen door but they only had doors 80" high. We needed 106" x36". We couldn't even find one online. Home Depot was able to offer a custom made door for $575 with a three week lead time. We decided to make our own. We bought 80" pieces of screen door frame material, a roll of fiberglass screen mesh material, aluminum rods (for extending the frame), corner joints, and screen spline. It took about one hour and about $50 in material and we were done.
Old 06-11-2021, 07:27 AM   #1238
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had ordered some "Iboard" running board/steps for my new Ram2500 so that my 5'3" Dw could get in and out without falling out. They were supposed to be here on monday but UPS lost them. Anyway they got here at 615 pm and I had them installed at 1040 pm. Not really too bad a job after getting every thing set up. Moved wife vehicle out of garage, put truck in center so I had room to get to both sides, set up fan in floor, and set up lights to see under truck. This kind of stuff was easier a few years ago.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:32 AM   #1239
Moderator Emeritus

^just installed running boards on my jeep. And put some eye bolts on the garage ceiling to lift off the top.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:53 AM   #1240

We took the kids (14 and 17) hiking in Arches National Park yesterday and today we're headed to newspaper Rock and Mesa Verde. We've had a hard time deciding what to do- there are SO many things we want to see. We've been thinking about buying a 5th wheel in a few years and staying several months out here. This is another tick in the "for" column on that idea.