Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 07:05 PM   #1321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not much. A hundred and 5 outside. Cut some wood in the morning when it was less than 90 and been staying indoors after doing a lunchtime takeout sushi run.

The good news is the evaporator coil replacement is doing well. Replaced under warranty (parts only, I paid $1700 labor) just before the warranty expired which was about this time last year. AC has been running 50% today (10 minutes on, 10 minutes off) keeping the house at 77.5 when it's 105 outside. Pretty cool, that's the way it's supposed to work.

Life is good! Now drinking Corona & Tequila -
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 07:37 PM   #1322
Moderator Emeritus

Did some woodworking waiting for morning rain to end. Then went for a hike at 86°. It was hot and humid. Took my drone and flew it a little. Came home and realized that I was missing my drone case and spare batteries. So went for hike 2 back to where I thought I had left the drone case. Got it. Total 8 miles for the day. Then went on a beer run and grilled some burgers.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:32 PM   #1323
Give me a forum ...

Spent almost all day at the hospital. My wife had a colonoscope and Doc was about 5 hours behind with emergencies and surgery that needed more time. That is country/rural doctoring and just the way things are. All in all we where blessed with a good report.

Was a beauty of a day high of 73 degree and a blue bird day. Drove me crazy to be inside but tomorrow I will make up for today.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:34 PM   #1324
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
... AC has been running 50% today (10 minutes on, 10 minutes off) keeping the house at 77.5 when it's 105 outside. Pretty cool, that's the way it's supposed to work...
A variable-speed AC on the other hand is supposed to run nearly all the time, varying its speed to match the cooling requirement. The continuous movement of air keeps the air temperature more constant.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-18-2021, 08:35 PM   #1325
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Spent almost all day at the hospital. My wife had a colonoscope and Doc was about 5 hours behind with emergencies and surgery that needed more time. That is country/rural doctoring and just the way things are. All in all we where blessed with a good report.

Was a beauty of a day high of 73 degree and a blue bird day. Drove me crazy to be inside but tomorrow I will make up for today.
I'm glad your wife got a good report, street. Enjoy your day tomorrow.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:13 PM   #1326
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A variable-speed AC on the other hand is supposed to run nearly all the time, varying its speed to match the cooling requirement. The continuous movement of air keeps the air temperature more constant.
The continuous movement of the air is assured by the 52 inch ceiling fan in the same room as the thermostat.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:13 PM   #1327
Give me a forum ...

Even with a fan for ventilation, the cycling on/off of the compressor in a conventional AC still causes some temperature fluctuations.

And speaking of ACs, with each summer getting hotter, I found that the two auxiliary ACs with the total capacity of 2-1/4 ton were getting marginal to cool the ground floor (I turned off the 5-ton central AC and left the unused upstairs baked).

For 120F temperature days, another 3/4-ton mini-split AC will be a welcome addition, and I have a place for it in the breakfast room next to the kitchen. Will work on it this winter. And then, I will also add 8 more solar panels to get the juice to run it.

You cannot have too many ACs here in this heat. Of course, if you don't have the power to run them, or your power meter smokes when you turn them all on, that won't fly.

Even with the 3 existing ACs, it is handy to have extra cooling when you need it. Two weeks ago when I hosted a baby shower for my niece and had 27 people inside the home, the temperature was 105F then. It's not as bad as now at 117F, but each person is equivalent to a 100W bulb. That's like having a 3-kW heater turned on inside the home.

I was able to crank all 3 ACs full-blast, and everybody was comfortable. I don't know if the 3 ACs would be enough now with so many people, if I had the party with the temperature now much higher.

Once I add another minisplit, will have 4 ACs with a total capacity of 8 tons. And the nice thing will be 3 of them are running off solar, with the large central one on grid power as a spare.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-18-2021, 11:25 PM   #1328
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, AZ gets hot for sure, I used to visit regularly. Not called "the valley of the sun" for no reason.

I have a 3.5 ton central and pleased to have a 50% duty cycle at 105 F. Yeah, old style bang-bang servo, full on or full off.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:36 PM   #1329
Give me a forum ...

^^^ At 120F, your AC would be running full time.

Let's say you keep the thermostat at 78F. When the outside is 105F, the temperature difference is 27F. When the outside is 120F, the difference is 42F.

The heat gain is proportional to the temperature difference, so the heat to be removed is 1.6X higher at 120F. Additionally, your AC efficiency may go down by the same factor because it has to pump the heat out against the higher ambient.

Bingo! Your AC now has to work 2x as hard, and the 50% cycling time becomes 100%.

I have been living in this house for many years, and have hosted parties with as many people in the summer. I remember that with just the central AC and not the recent auxiliary ACs, it was somewhat marginal. This time though, with 7.25 tons of cooling going, lots of drinking and laughing, and nobody complained. But again, it was only 105F and not 120F.

PS. I remember that my 5-ton AC was running non-stop in past years when it was 120F. It was able to cycle off only at night, and then not for long before turning on again. Days like that, I burned 100 kWh per day, with about 90 kWh/day for the AC. It is really that hot here.

Old 06-19-2021, 12:00 AM   #1330
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I know. It gets hot here in the central valley when we get the dreaded high pressure that keeps the marine layer and the delta breeze out but that only lasts 3-4 days
and we'll never see 120.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:29 PM   #1331
Give me a forum ...

Today (even though it's 102 F outside) I installed the fountain. All by myself too even though the base weighs 225 pounds and I had to get the cord through it before I could do the hookup and the other 2 tiers. Give me a lever and a place to put my fulcrum...

Goes well with the big square pavers and the rectangular design me thinks. It's a Campania Escala and holds 9 gallons of water, make a nice medium gurgle - trickle sound and doesn't splash much.

With the fire table we have the 4 ancient elements on the patio; earth, air, fire and water -
Old 06-19-2021, 03:37 PM   #1332
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

^^^ You done good .
Old 06-19-2021, 04:33 PM   #1333
Give me a forum ...

Robbie, that looks really nice! Looks like the rich and famous. Lol
Old 06-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #1334
Give me a forum ...

Thanks! I looked at a lot of fountains before...

Yeah, it's low and sturdy, ain't gonna blow over, dogs playing ain't gonna knock it over, tree branches falling on ain't gonna hurt it.

Weighs 385 pounds full of water. Brick house!
Old 06-20-2021, 10:18 AM   #1335
Moderator Emeritus

Today I came to the forum to wish any of our members who are fathers, a Happy Father's Day!

Frank is not a father, and both of our fathers are dead, so this is the best I can do for father's day wishes. I truly do appreciate all that fathers do to hold families together, promote family values and traditions, protect and support their families, exemplify manly virtues and teach their kids about them, and more.

Have a wonderful day, fathers, and know that you are appreciated.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
What did you do today? - 2021 version
Old 06-20-2021, 05:15 PM   #1336
Full time employment: Posting here.

What did you do today? - 2021 version

We are up in Alaska for a couple weeks. Got out early for a trail run, which turned into a longer run when a mommy moose stood her ground on the trail and I had to turn around.

Then took the wife out for a leisurely bike ride in the afternoon and a late Father’s Day lunch at a brewery.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:45 PM   #1337
Give me a forum ...

Whole family, kids and gk here for BBQ burgers. Great day, hot and 90 degrees here, slight breeze. Hopefully it will cool down tonight.
Expect close to 90s all week.

Happy Fathers Day to all the Dads!
Old 06-20-2021, 07:13 PM   #1338

DH and I hosted a cast party for a musical in which he is playing and conducting the pit orchestra. All were vaccinated except for the 4 year old daughter of one of the musicians.

Typical BBQ and veggie fare. People brought their usual chips and dip. DS was a blessing. After work he set up misters and chairs in the blazing heat. He helped entertain the 4 year old in the pool with her mom, while I ran the grill and DH made sure people were happy. Many stayed inside until it cooled off after 6:30. A thunderstorm sent the last folks home at 8:30. Too bad, because our yard is best enjoyed at night. Not enough people enjoyed the pool, which was in perfect condition and chemistry. I cooled off after cooking and it was fabulous.

The fact of a party that met everyone’s expectations, and that we could keep the blazing heat under control with a pool, misters, umbrellas, and air conditioning, feels like a return to the best of normal life.

Last-our county has had zero reported COVID cases in the last 2 days. Feeling safe these days.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:01 PM   #1339

Mowed the back part of the yard this morning. I'll do the other half this evening unless we get thunderstorms, which are a possibility.

Yesterday we went to a family party and got to see the newest addition to the family, now all of ten days old. She was the perfect kid, stayed asleep the whole time except for a "lunch break".
Old 06-22-2021, 02:17 PM   #1340

Answered a casting call for work tomorrow in Boston with my vintage VW. 8:30 AM call, ugh. Going to be fun towing that car in rush hour traffic.