Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #1341
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Answered a casting call for work tomorrow in Boston with my vintage VW. 8:30 AM call, ugh. Going to be fun towing that car in rush hour traffic.

I’m curious…do they pay enough to make it worthwhile, or is just something interesting to do?

I’m not judging. The pay for my summer j*b wouldn’t be enough to entice me to get out of bed, except that I enjoy the river and bike trail and would be out there regardless.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2021, 03:21 PM   #1342
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Power washed the front of the house, patio furniture and the redwood fence. After a couple of dry out days I'll re-stain the fence and spar urethane the swing.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:06 PM   #1343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I’m curious…do they pay enough to make it worthwhile, or is just something interesting to do?

Kind of both. Few hundred a day, but as long as it is nearby and fun, I'd do it for nothing. It is very interesting to watch and take part in. Kind of chaotic but nobody is stressed out. You just show, expect lots of waiting around, and do what you are told.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #1344
Give me a forum ...

Mowed the yard and then irrigated the yard. Took a long bike ride and was going to go boating on the river but that didn't happen.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:38 PM   #1345
Moderator Emeritus

Went for a hike/birdwatch. Bought some lumber and made a American flag wall hanging. Waiting on stars template to finish.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:31 PM   #1346
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Went for a hike/birdwatch. Bought some lumber and made a American flag wall hanging. Waiting on stars template to finish.
Lumber prices moving down yet?
Old 06-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #1347
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Lumber futures have been on a pretty steady decline for the past two months. https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/commodities/lbs I don't know if that is showing up yet at the retail level.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #1348
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

Yes. I saw select 8’ 2x4’s were as high as $11.89 a week or so ago. Yesterday they were $9.99. Today they were still posted @ 9.99 in the lumber dept, but the cashier had them at $8.79. So I got them at 8.79. But a 8’ 1x3 select pine was 10 bucks. Thought that was high.

I did see a guy in the lumber dept who was making cornhole bean bag game boards for his son. He had $160 in material and was not happy.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #1349
Full time employment: Posting here.

Currently hanging out in Anchorage and after an early dinner spent a couple hours at the zoo last night. Haven’t been to a zoo and decades. Sun was still shining and weather was perfect.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:24 AM   #1350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
Currently hanging out in Anchorage and after an early dinner spent a couple hours at the zoo last night. Haven’t been to a zoo and decades. Sun was still shining and weather was perfect.
That sounds great. Enjoy
Old 06-23-2021, 11:15 AM   #1351
Give me a forum ...

After a few months of letting Wet and Forget work on my deck, I took a good look at it yesterday. I estimate about 60% of the dirt and stain are gone, but the other 40% still looks bad. Not horribly bad, but still bad. One good thing I noticed is that no new moss, mildew, lichen, etc. seemed to be growing where the old stuff was killed.

So, I attacked the deck with my old cleaning friends - TSP and bleach. I looked like I was armed for chemical warfare. Thanks to W-n-F the amount of elbow grease necessary was a lot less than usual. The deck is now the cleanest its been in a year. Starting tomorrow its scrape off pealing paint, prime, and then touch up with deck paint. I hope to have a usable and presentable deck by Sunday.

As far as Wet-n-Forget, I have mixed feelings at this point. I have half a jug of it left and will reapply it to the deck in a few weeks after I give the new touch up paint time to cure. My hope is that it will keep the deck from getting its usual bad, awful, horrible look between then and next summer. Time will tell.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2013 View Post
How much did the new battery cost? Or did they give you a free new battery?
Apple's battery replacement cost is reasonable:

iPhone Battery & Power Repair
Old 06-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #1353
Administrator

A sad day today. This morning, I had to take one of our cats on her final trip to the vet. Her name was Madeline and she was a sweet girl who made us happy every day of her life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3778.jpg (375.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 06-23-2021, 12:06 PM   #1354
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
A sad day today. This morning, I had to take one of our cats on her final trip to the vet. Her name was Madeline and she was a sweet girl who made us happy every day of her life.

I am sorry. It's always sad.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:19 PM   #1355
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
so sorry for the loss of your fur baby. She is a cutie.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #1356

Quote:

Sorry for your loss.

Been thru this several times and never gets any easier in fact probably harder the older I get.
Old 06-23-2021, 01:57 PM   #1357

Quote:
I'm so sorry for your loss.

She is an absolute beauty - her face sparkles with personality.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #1358
Give me a forum ...

Gumby, that is a sad day and I wish you better days ahead.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:16 PM   #1359
Give me a forum ...

Lady friend and I spent a few hours kayaking at favorite lake. Smooth flat water barely a breeze.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:36 PM   #1360

Yesterday we went down to the "Big City" in Reston, VA for a medium-size family get together, this time on my side of the family. We got a great meal and terrific service at the restaurant, made more certain because my nephew's son is the manager there. We all had a great time and everyone ate too much. The waitress got a huge tip.

Today was another instructional day with my student R/C pilot, he's doing much better and was able to make several takeoffs and complete circuits of the traffic pattern before an errant takeoff broke the propeller. He didn't have a spare yet (I'd warned him this was almost inevitable) but had ordered them and would pick them up on his way home. But he took the airplane home in essentially the same condition it was in upon arrival at the field and that's always a good thing.

I was groaning about the grass mowing that I still had to do today or tomorrow (rain prevented me doing it yesterday) and when I got home discovered that DW had done 80% of it already. WhoooHoo, she's a keeper! What's left will take maybe 20 minutes to do. Yay!