Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 09:56 PM   #1361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Lady friend and I spent a few hours kayaking at favorite lake. Smooth flat water barely a breeze.
I posted in another thread about wanting an Infinity pool, where you can swim for hours and never go anywhere. Well I had that today when I tried to kayak. There was a strong wind and tide coming off the bay. I paddled for about 10 minutes and didn't gain more than 50 feet or so. Gave it up and sat on the beach for awhile.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 10:33 AM   #1362
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
You must have been at Mother Neff State Park. We spent a night there on our way back from Arkansas two weeks ago. Heard about 4 tests, 2 long and loud, 2 shorter, in the 18 hours we were in the park. Beautiful park with best campsites in any park in TX we've been to. The wildflowers must be at their peak now.
Sorry, just now seeing this.

No, it was Midway Park COE located on Lake Waco.

Never been to Mother Neff SP but based on your description we will have to put it on our itinerary the next time we head in that direction.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:29 PM   #1363

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sorry, just now seeing this.

No, it was Midway Park COE located on Lake Waco.
We haven't been to that one. Last week we went to Taylor Park COE on Grainger Lake. Nicely run campground but no views of the lake, so we probably won't go back.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:48 AM   #1364
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went on a day cruise today from Seward AK out across the Gulf of Alaska. Spotted many varieties of birds, 3 species of whales, mountain goats up on the cliffs, sea lions, otters, bald eagles and porpoises.

The water was rough when we crossed the open water in the gulf but thankfully smoothed out when we motored into the smooth waters up in the fjords to see glaciers.

Lots of fun today. Sun just set … it’s 11:40 pm … and now it’s bed time.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:11 PM   #1365
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had planned on giving the dog a bath today. Temps in the high 40s for most of the day so I will wait for warmer weather later next week. With the rain we have been having I managed to smooth out some of the roads with our big community tractor and road planer. I am also waiting for warmer weather to replace the brakes and axle seals in my smaller tractor. In the mean time with the cool weather I'm back to leveling the kitchen cabinets in preparation for installing granite counter tops.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #1366

We have a tradition here, that the first tomato from our garden goes into a BLT sandwich.
DW toasted some sourdough, added some mashed avocado to make it a BLAT sandwich. It was delicious.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:40 PM   #1367
Administrator

Went to the Chicago Green City Market this morning, first time in a year and a half. Wonderful to get back. Some of the farmers stayed away because of the stormy forecast but we were there before 7 and got out by 8, just when the storms were showing up.

Lunch today included some fresh peas and an heirloom tomato, both delicious.

I bought a small strawberry rhubarb pie for dessert tonight.
Old 06-26-2021, 05:06 PM   #1368
Give me a forum ...

We went tubing on the Shenandoah River. Great weather for it, not too hot, cloudy and river running at a pretty good clip!
Old 06-26-2021, 05:34 PM   #1369
Moderator Emeritus

Went for a run and putzed in the workshop. Dodged a days worth of heavy rain, flash flood warnings and 2 tornado warnings. No tornadoes, but have some downed trees. Then ordered a backpack.
Old 06-26-2021, 06:09 PM   #1370

Built a second cordwood rack and split and moved a few tractor cart loads of the spruce we dropped at the shoreline last fall, after splitting it. It burns, but should probably season for another year. Not the best wood stove wood, better than pine, but not as good as a true hardwood. But it's free, so I'll use it.

Have tons of red oak that has been on the surface dead for years that I had my tree guy section up earlier this spring. That will be the primary heat wood for this coming winter. To be split later (with a 20 ton horizontal splitter. I'm NOT the lumberjack/hero type at my age, who uses a maul by hand!!!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg received_790170191866755[1].jpeg (92.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 06-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #1371
Give me a forum ...

Hunkered down all day to avoid the heat. We are just north of Portland and hit about 106 degrees. Thankfully we have central AC, but I can't imagine living like this.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:18 PM   #1372

At about 3am this morning, we had a significant rain event. Texted DD asking if her basement was dry. It wasn't. They were dealing with a flooding basement. I ran over there with my submersible pump and we contained the water to her laundry room and a bit of some carpeted area near it. A mess, but nothing catastrophic. Thankful that the rest of the rain forecasted for today did not materialize. That gave us all a chance to regroup and prepare for the rest of the week. Rain is expected every day for the next 5 days. I sure hope there's no more like this morning.

It was one time where I was really happy I had a truck. There were a number of places on the road that were covered with deep water. No problem for the truck but there were some cars that didn't make it through. When I got to DD's house, the water in her street was up to her sidewalk. In the street, when I got out of the truck, it was at about mid calf. I was also very happy I had a submersible pump. When I got there, they were sucking up water with a wet vac and trying to lug it up stairs to dump it. That was difficult (to say the least) and there's no way they would have kept up. The pump kept up with the incoming water and then some so by about 5am, it was under control.

As much as it sucked for DD and as much as it wasn't a fun event for me, I did feel very good about being the well prepared dad that was able to help out. Not sure it "saved the day", but it sure changed the dynamic.

One of the issues was that they did not go look to see if the basement was wet until I texted them. They had put some clothes in the dryer about an hour earlier and it was dry then so they went to sleep. By tonight, they now have a water alarm in the laundry room and their own pump. Live and learn.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:58 PM   #1373
Recycles dryer sheets

Watching The Count of Monte Cristo mini series on DVD. It's old but I never had the time to watch it when it came out. Read the book. Really enjoy it. Gerard Depardieu did a good job.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:46 PM   #1374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Hunkered down all day to avoid the heat. We are just north of Portland and hit about 106 degrees. Thankfully we have central AC, but I can't imagine living like this.
106? Your humidity is also low, at less than 20%. Nothing to complain about.

When I see forecast of 106 instead of 116 or above, I am happy.

However, the forecast calls for your area to be 110+ early next week. Humidity still stays low.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-26-2021, 10:56 PM   #1375
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
106? Your humidity is also low, at less than 20%. Nothing to complain about.

When I see forecast of 106 instead of 116 or above, I am happy.

However, the forecast calls for your area to be 110+ early next week. Humidity still stays low.
All I can say is you can have these 100+° temperatures. I just pray it doesn't lead to another season of wildfires. Last year we were stuck inside due to the extreme smoke for days.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:59 PM   #1376
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
All I can say is you can have these 100+° temperatures. I just pray it doesn't lead to another season of wildfires. Last year we were stuck inside due to the extreme smoke for days.
I already do. For years!

Now, more people know what high temperature is all about. Misery loves company.

Wild fire? It's breaking out all over the place here in AZ too. My wife has been saying perhaps we should sell our 2nd home up in the high country, where fires have been breaking out. There's no place to go to hide.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-27-2021, 06:24 AM   #1377
Dryer sheet aficionado

Cut down the 15-year old plum tree in the backyard. Bought a second tree 2 years ago so it would produce fruit. We were very excited when it had plums on it this year. They got to the size of marbles then the tree died. Now to get the stump out.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:48 AM   #1378

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A variable-speed AC on the other hand is supposed to run nearly all the time, varying its speed to match the cooling requirement. The continuous movement of air keeps the air temperature more constant.

What ever method removes the most humidity is best in my area. (Florida Panhandle)

It's 78* and 52% humidity in my home now, much nicer if the humidity is about 40%. If it was 40%, I would still feel comfortable at 81* or 82*.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:26 AM   #1379

I am 48 years old and I figured out for the first time in my life today that S.C. Johnson and Johnson & Johnson are not the same company...
Old 06-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #1380

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrip View Post
Cut down the 15-year old plum tree in the backyard. Bought a second tree 2 years ago so it would produce fruit. We were very excited when it had plums on it this year. They got to the size of marbles then the tree died. Now to get the stump out.
Apropos.. I watched this the other day. This is how they used to pull out stumps in pioneer days..

https://youtu.be/RIoBQzWha8A