Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 03:32 PM   #1601
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Drove this scenic byway coming home. Never been down this way before, interesting place. 27530560241070.jpg
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 04:46 PM   #1602
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Carb loading before strenuous exercise is a well documented strategy.

Exactly. And recently fat loading has been combined with carb loading to get the full impact.

AJA8888 could cut 5-10 strokes off his next golf game if he goes through a few days of fat and carbo loading first.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:52 PM   #1603
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Went to ranch again and hiked in to look for a survey pin. I never was to that corner of my property but had a a good ide where the pin could be where 3 sections come together. Well, I got very lucky and found the pin. It is on a very steep side hill with trees hiding the pin. The pin is sticking up about 10 inches and it had an old lathe right beside it.

I now know where there is two pins and I'm hoping that is all the surveyor will need to survey the new land I'm buying.

You’ve got surveying mastered! Anyone can measure between pins. But it takes a true professional to find them.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:53 PM   #1604
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
You’ve got surveying mastered! Anyone can measure between pins. But it takes a true professional to find them.
What I found on my property was after the surveying pins were set, someone moved them back next to the old fence corner posts, assuming the posts were correct. The old fence posts were not in the correct location. So, just because you find 'em, doesn't mean they are in the right location.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #1605
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I got very lucky to find it. Lol
Old 07-21-2021, 05:46 AM   #1606
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
What I found on my property was after the surveying pins were set, someone moved them back next to the old fence corner posts, assuming the posts were correct. The old fence posts were not in the correct location. So, just because you find 'em, doesn't mean they are in the right location.
True - not right if they have been moved.

But.... Survey law holds that the position of monuments as staked by surveyors in the creation of a land parcel (original conveyance) holds over all other terms in the deed.

So if the stakes are where the original surveyor put them, measurements between them need not match the deed. The original stakes are the property corners.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:48 AM   #1607
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekward View Post
Two hours of great outdoor Pickle-ball, breakfast, email, nap, lunch, prepare to teach veterans tonight (free 4 hour class via Zoom), drink a beer.

Tomorrow is rinse & repeat. No complaints.
My wife and I were watching TV one day last week and a commercial came on yjat showed in one of it's scenes 2 couples on a tennis court with very large pingpong paddles playing. My DW turned to me and ask what kind of game they were playing. I admitted my ignorance of what it was to her but your post got me to thinking it might be pickle ball? Would I possibly be right on that? TIA.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:53 AM   #1608
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
My wife and I were watching TV one day last week and a commercial came on yjat showed in one of it's scenes 2 couples on a tennis court with very large pingpong paddles playing. My DW turned to me and ask what kind of game they were playing. I admitted my ignorance of what it was to her but your post got me to thinking it might be pickle ball? Would I possibly be right on that? TIA.
I believe you get the gold star!
Old 07-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #1609

I'm refinishing a dresser that we will use in the house once our daughter moves out at the end of the month.

What I learned is that sandpaper can go bad, or just not work. The medium grit paper I used was shredding very quickly in the palm sander. I went to look at it and realized that it was about 15 years old.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:22 PM   #1610
Administrator

Today, I polished a pair of my dress shoes. I have not worn them, or a suit and tie, since I last argued in court in 2018. Alas, I am going to a nephew's wedding in Pennsylvania on Friday and am expected to dress up for the occasion.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:27 PM   #1611
Moderator Emeritus

Golf with my group of old guys today. We did not stop for lunch at Cracker Barrel afterwards.

It was hot (90 F) and humid. Drank lots of Gatorade along the way.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #1612
Give me a forum ...

Board meeting in the AM and had a new battery installed in cell phone. Watered garden and fertilized. Will start irrigating this evening.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:56 PM   #1613
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
...... had a new battery installed in cell phone. ....
My phone battery is on its way out after 5 years. I see no need to get a new phone if I can just get a new battery. Mind sharing where you took it for the new battery or providing any other guidance? It seems very wasteful for me to get a new phone when this one does everything I need.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:19 PM   #1614
Moderator Emeritus

Went for a hike. Finished my dock redo and went kayaking. Waiting for my kayak launch to come in.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:15 AM   #1615
Give me a forum ...

Went to the Tampa Bay Rays baseball game yesterday. They were losing by one run in the bottom of the ninth and hit a game winning 2 run single with the bases loaded with 2 outs and 2 strikes.
2nd time we have seen the Rays win in the 9th inning when they were behind in that inning.
Nice time overall.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #1616

Quote:
Went for a hike. Finished my dock redo and went kayaking. Waiting for my kayak launch to come in.
My kind of day. A DIY project, a hike and a paddle. Only need to end it with a brew on the veranda at sunset
Old 07-22-2021, 07:26 AM   #1617

Yesterday we were in northeast Iowa and we went hiking in Effigy Mounds National Monument park. There was a six mile hike we had always wanted to do. It was humid, lots of mosquitos and quite steep for Iowa, but we made it to Hanging Rock overlook. The day before we stopped at Backbone State park and had a nice time.

We were at both of these parks 40 years ago so it was fun to go back and go down memory lane.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #1618

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
A single lady mid 60s friend of DW and I that lives close had a couple of old lawnmowers that didn't run and she wanted to get rid of. She was happy I picked them up. Within about 3 hours had both running, cleaned up, fresh oil and blades sharpened. All either one needed was drain any old gas, and cleaning the carburetor. The small engines are easy to fix, at least for me. Remove carb, clean passages, only cost is partial can of carb cleaner; and some cheap oil for the engine oil change.

I plan to give one to my neighbor, even though we each have large yards and use big zero turn mowers, there are areas where a small mower is helpful, such as drainage ditch or close under trees. Neighbor uses string trimmer which takes longer.

The other one I'll sell on FB marketplace, pay for a dinner out for DW and me.

Quick update actually a couple days ago: I gave both mowers away. One to my neighbor as planned, he appreciated it. The second one I gave to a kid in our church that mows lawns in his neighborhood. Turns out his parent's mower got damaged by his 16 year old sister driving and running over a wheel on it . So my timing was great for him, pure coincidence as I had no knowledge of the damaged mower. Made me feel good to help both recipients out

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 07-22-2021, 09:35 AM   #1619

I’m a bit late, but we returned home yesterday from a little over 2 weeks away to find our entire house an inch or more deep in water.

The restoration guys said they’d emptied about 15,000 gallons of water.
Our RO unit leaked.

The water got moved out very quickly, our belongings are going to be moved out tomorrow, and we will be hotel-hopping until we can find a place to stay with our 3 beagles while our house is pretty much gutted and redone.

Apparently all our stone and wood flooring will be removed, about 2 feet of drywall, all the doors that swelled shut, baseboard and that kind of woodwork, and oh, our kitchen and 2 full bathrooms will be replaced.

Things are pretty much totaled. Thank goodness for insurance and a very responsive agent and team so far.

Times will be getting interesting. I guess I’d better start looking at Pinterest or some such to figure out what to do.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:44 AM   #1620
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I’m a bit late, but we returned home yesterday from a little over 2 weeks away to find our entire house an inch or more deep in water.
I feel your pain.

Had something similar happen many years ago with a broken washing machine hose. Single story home on a slab. Got home from work to find shoes floating out of our bedroom closets.

Not nearly the damage you have as we caught it within a few hours. Still, a royal PITA.

Hope all goes quickly and smoothly with your repairs.