Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 10:13 PM   #1681
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Our poor animals may be in pain, but they have no way of telling us, and just suffer in silence. Isn't that sad?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 10:40 PM   #1682
Give me a forum ...

I got off easy. A canine cleaning and 1 tooth pulled for $900.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:49 PM   #1683
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I got off easy. A canine cleaning and 1 tooth pulled for $900.
I can't believe I blew more dough than you.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:19 PM   #1684
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did outside work today. It is the first day I have spent out in the yard this year. I bought a big wood splitter last fall and finally got it set up by the wood pile and split and stacked some wood. I had an electric splitter and it took FOREVER. This is a 27 ton gas engine splitter that gets pulled around on a car hitch. It is fast and easy.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:30 PM   #1685
Moderator Emeritus

My group of 75 + year old friends and I played golf (9 holes in 95 F heat) today. We were finished by lunch and stopped at the local CRACKER BARREL for the $5.99 turkey and gravy lunch special. The meatloaf special is on Thursdays.
Old 07-30-2021, 05:52 PM   #1686
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I did outside work today. It is the first day I have spent out in the yard this year. I bought a big wood splitter last fall and finally got it set up by the wood pile and split and stacked some wood. I had an electric splitter and it took FOREVER. This is a 27 ton gas engine splitter that gets pulled around on a car hitch. It is fast and easy.

No no we don't to think about wood burning season yet...
Old 07-30-2021, 05:53 PM   #1687
Give me a forum ...

Nothing but sit and surf. It's 102 outside.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:03 PM   #1688
Give me a forum ...

It's 102F here too. I strung up a small shade sail of 5' x 8' in the morning, and did not finish till noon. The shade was outside the window of the breakfast room. Went for a swim in the pool, and did only 10 laps instead of the usual 20. It was hot, and I was tired.

I think I am going to have a belated beer with dinner tonight.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-30-2021, 06:49 PM   #1689
Moderator Emeritus

Toured Denali National Park and got a good view of Mt. Denali. Saw several bears, moose and caribou.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D301F6E6-EF14-425E-8E80-3E98EEB8516A.jpeg (727.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-30-2021, 10:28 PM   #1690
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Toured Denali National Park and got a good view of Mt. Denali. Saw several bears, moose and caribou.
We are both fortunate to see Mt. Denali. It is said that the mountain is often behind a cloud cover, and visitors don't get to view it at all.

I looked and found a photo that I took on my 2018 RV trip. It looks like we were at the same viewpoint.

Old 07-31-2021, 12:40 AM   #1691
Moderator Emeritus

^ nice! Does look like the same viewpoint. Tour bus stop. Our tour bus driver said that 7/29 was the first day that they saw the mountain in July.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:24 AM   #1692
Recycles dryer sheets

Did a 50 mile round trip cycle to Luss on Loch Lomond. Had lunch and spent a peaceful hour on a bench watching the activities on the water. Splendid.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:45 AM   #1693

Summer Solstice 2013

7 090.jpg
Old 07-31-2021, 04:31 PM   #1694

Spent the morning and early afternoon teaching a new club member to fly R/C airplanes. This is not something that happens in one or even a few lessons. He'd bought a new trainer airplane and we spent several hours setting up the radio receiver in it several days ago and flew it today. Unfortunately when he put it together he did not install the carbon fiber wing spar (all you engineers/pilots know what's coming) and during the third flight of setting up the gyros the wing folded when pulling out of a dive. The impact with the ground pretty much destroyed the airplane. Fortunately it is not an expensive one and will be easily replaced, and several lessons learned.

He insists that there was no spar included in the kit, but acknowledged it is in the instructions and he should have seen that when he put it together. I'm thinking he probably didn't recognize it for what it was as I know from experience that it is common practice for manufacturers to wrap the carbon fiber items in protective foam so they don't scratch up other parts. He may have thought it was part of the packing material, or it may well be that the spar was not included. I'll probably never know.

So - now he knows that wings have spars in them, and I now know not to assume that the student read, understood, and followed all assembly instructions. In the days of balsa wood construction such a wing defect would be spotted instantly because it would be so flexible. That's not the case with wings made mostly of foam. You won't know the spar isn't there until the wing fails.

The day was not a total loss for us though. He'd brought another airplane and he made several successful flights with that, a couple of them without me touching the controls, so he is making progress.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:08 PM   #1695
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful view thanks Ron.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:09 PM   #1696
Give me a forum ...

It rained last night. Even with temperature merely in the high 90s, the humidity caused me to sweat profusely while I worked in the backyard, and in the shade. When I got done with the yard work, changed and jumped in the pool for a refreshing swim.

Just now in the afternoon, went checking on my solar system. Even with partially cloudy sky, the solar panels produced plenty of power. The ACs did not work that hard when the temperature was merely in the low 100Fs, and the result was the lithium battery was near full. In fact, this morning, the battery still had some juice from overnight use, and the AC were still running at a low speed on battery and had not switched to grid power. I have not seen that for a while, ever since the high temperature went above 110F.

With surplus power, I ran the pool pump for another hour to bleed off that free solar power, as the battery was full and the charging current was tapering off. It is nice when you have more electric power than you need. Just like with money, or anything else, I guess.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:45 PM   #1697
Full time employment: Posting here.

Putzed around.....did weekly maintenance on my hydroponic grow system, changed sheets, did laundry, used up pantry goods to make lunch and dinner.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:02 PM   #1698
Administrator

I sprayed a vinegar, Epsom salt and dish soap solution on the weeds growing up through the pavers in my 130 ft. long driveway. Then I mowed the lawn. After lunch, the young wife and I went out to the garden to harvest and weed. I currently have a batch of Principe Borghese tomatoes in the dehydrator; I will oil pack them in the morning. Then we'll prepare and can sauce from our Amish Paste, Roma and San Marzano tomatoes.

An interesting horticultural phenomenon I observed today was our yellow Roma tomatoes. We save seed, and the tomatoes we started this year were 100% saved from last year. Last year, every one of our Roma tomatoes was red, but this year, one of the Roma plants produces yellow tomatoes, even when fully ripe. They taste like all the others, but they are yellow; some random mutation, I guess. So I will save their seeds and see if I can continue the line next year.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:50 PM   #1699

I harvested ~90 garlic plants. Then we went for a long sail on Lake Michigan with our boat partners, and then repaired back to our house for grilled country-style pork ribs (cooked rosticciana style).
Old 07-31-2021, 09:51 PM   #1700
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Putzed around.....did weekly maintenance on my hydroponic grow system, changed sheets, did laundry, used up pantry goods to make lunch and dinner.
Hey, welcome back!

Have not seen you for a while.

Closed Thread