Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 04:41 PM   #2361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jury duty today. We have a call in system, you call after 7 PM to see if you go in the next day. After 1 week or 1 trial you are done. So the first 2 days I did not go in. Day 3 I was told to report to court at 1:30 PM. After cooling our heels a bit, they let us into the court room. Judge told us the parties settled, and we were all dismissed, done. Was on my way back down the elevator by 2 PM. Has to be a record, or at least a personal one for me. LOL.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2021, 04:48 PM   #2362
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Ephesus was fantastic. When we were there we were allowed into the amphitheater. Imagine, this was where St. Paul preached to the Ephesians.
There were two musicians playing, one on guitar and one on pan flute. One hymn they played was "How Great Thou Art", which DW's grandmother used to sing to her. It was very moving.
I was in that theater less than a week ago. What a place! I was so thankful to have the chance to explore Ephesus!

Actually though, although Paul spoke for the Lord Jesus in Ephesus, it seems unlikely that he preached in this amphitheater. Remember that in Acts 19, his traveling companions and friends of his appealed to him not to enter the theater due to the anger of the rioting assembly there. But I'm pretty sure Paul was in that theater at other times.

Gumby - I hope you do go to Ephesus. What an amazing place! I was very impressed by the terrace houses near the harbor. The rich merchant "wheeler-dealers" living there obviously lived incredibly well.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:57 PM   #2363
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post
Drinking heavily, on the beach, at the riu palace, in peurto vallarta... and nothing else.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:12 PM   #2364
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired a year and a half ago at the age of 41 and this is basically what I do every day and I love it. I have a wife who is of the same age, and two young daughters age 2 and 8 yrs old.

6am - Treadmill for 1 hour in front of the basement TV
7am - Help wife with breakfast and clean up the kitchen
8am to 10am - On the computer and pay bills, deal with insurance matters, investments/banking and such
10:30am - Swim laps at the town rec center for 40 minutes
12 noon - Lunch with wide and youngest daughter
1pm - Take a nap or watch a movie
3pm - Wake up
4pm - Help with preparing dinner, or help with oldest homework
5pm - Take daughter to soccer practice
7pm - Eat dinner
8pm - Watch a game on TV or a movie/show
10pm - Bed time

Basically my life and I love it. Wife asks me from time to time if I want to start a business or something. I do have my RE license and I joined a RE broker, but I kind of do it part time and haven't gotten much business.

Things may change and get a little boring when the kids get older, but I'll figure something out when we cross that bridge.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:33 PM   #2365
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well today I took the motorcycle out for a 50 mile ride. May be that last of the season. Stopped by the local KIA dealership and checked out a new Forte for the kids. Lot was empty and I felt kinda sad for the young salesman. Wasn't too impress with the one Forte they had on the lot. Been a while since I was in an entry level car.

Then like most recent days, I attacked the leaves on the roof and yard. Seems it never ends, but I look forward to the day it's finally all cleaned up. Usually around Thanksgiving.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
Old 11-03-2021, 07:45 PM   #2366
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hunted but just not finding what I want yet. Picked up leaves for an elderly lady then went to the ranch to hunt. Had a monster mule buck at the ranch today and my son came over to see if he could get him. It didn't happen but was very close to harvesting him. It is just a matter of time. I grabbed one card just before we left and had a cow moose on camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WGI_0002 (2).jpg (660.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 11-03-2021, 08:23 PM   #2367
Dryer sheet aficionado

Made chicken rice soup in the crockpot. Got the kitchen all tidied up from that.

Did a photography project that was fun.

Tired to do a good deed, but the person I was supposed to connect with didn't answer the door. Sounds like it was a bit of mis-communication so I will try again tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:38 AM   #2368
Recycles dryer sheets

Ate at Ding Tai Fung with my wife. Walked at an outside mall, bought some bakery and drinks. Just chilling.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:46 AM   #2369
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This showed up in my USPS Informed Delivery email this morning. Property tax bill - the traditional start to the holiday season here in TX.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedProperty tax_LI.jpg (886.7 KB, 43 views)
Old 11-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #2370
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This showed up in my USPS Informed Delivery email this morning. Property tax bill - the traditional start to the holiday season here in TX.
Yep, got ours last week. Early Xmas card from the County Assessor's office!
Old 11-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #2371
Give me a forum ...

Yep, property taxes received and paid already!

Heading out later to day to pick up DGS from school and watch him before Dad gets home.
Then we will come back home and DH will cook some steaks on the traeger.
Expecting rain and a wind advisory is out today.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #2372
Administrator

We get our property tax bills in June for the year ahead, which are based on the Grand List assessment from the prior October and the mill rate determined in May. We get a single bill, which is due in two equal installments, the first in July immediately after the bills are received and the second in January. One of my traditional New Year's Day activities is writing the property tax checks (one for the house and one for each of the cars).
Old 11-04-2021, 10:05 AM   #2373
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiShrimp View Post
Ate at Ding Tai Fung with my wife. Walked at an outside mall, bought some bakery and drinks. Just chilling.
God we miss Din Tai Fung. We use to eat at their Guangzhou restaurant every weekend after church for lunch.

Which one do you go to? Is this in Cali?
Old 11-04-2021, 10:37 AM   #2374
Give me a forum ...

LOL! Yep had one Christmas card already and paid now waiting for another Christmas card to pay those also. Merry Christmas!! At least we all can afford to pay them more fortunate then most.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #2375

This morning I ordered a prepared turkey breast and mashed potatoes (servings: 4) from Whole Foods, with a reserved pickup time on 11/24. I will make a couple of veggie sides. As I will be solo this Thanksgiving, I imagine I will be eating turkey for four days - fine by me - I love turkey!

Could I cook the food myself? Absolutely! Do I want to? Absolutely not! I would rather sit and read a book all day (or binge holiday shows) than spend a minute in the kitchen. Just a small luxury I allow myself for the holiday.

Given all the shortages these days, I wanted to get my order in in a timely manner.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:18 PM   #2376
Moderator Emeritus

Last night felt something on my back - tick. DW tried to pull it off and it broke off with part of its head still in my back. Went to quick care when they opened. Nurse said it’s best to leave the head in - it will fall out on its own. Got an antibiotic.

Drove 1.5 hrs for pie. Went for a short hike, then picked up turkey legs for thanksgiving, then for lunch, then grocery shopping and bank for MIL. Now in the recliner watching you tube for the night.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #2377

I met a couple of other guys at the flying site in WV but it was COLD! Even with my heated jacket it was chilly but since we were there, we flew. Trouble was, the cold temperatures affect the LiPo batteries and they were at about half or one-third their normal energy levels so flight times were sharply reduced. I kept getting "low battery" alerts via the telemetry when at high power and then when power was reduced voltage would slowly creep back up but only to a point. The video camera didn't work at all. After a couple of hours of that we gave up and everyone went home.

The bad news was that the owner of the property we fly on passed away this morning. I never met him but he's universally described as a nice guy. Of course we have no idea what will happen as a result of this but it will probably take at least a year. Properties of several hundred acres don't sell quickly, at least not in WV.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:40 PM   #2378
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Last night felt something on my back - tick. DW tried to pull it off and it broke off with part of its head still in my back. Went to quick care when they opened. Nurse said it’s best to leave the head in - it will fall out on its own. Got an antibiotic.

Drove 1.5 hrs for pie. Went for a short hike, then picked up turkey legs for thanksgiving, then for lunch, then grocery shopping and bank for MIL. Now in the recliner watching you tube for the night.
I have never had a tick dig in me yet. With all the exposure I have had with them it is very surprising I never have. I do a few things that has really helped through the years. I always put socks over pant legs or tuck pant legs into my boots. I also wear a very light pair of long johns with a light tee shirt tucked into long handles. Our season is from late march through June and they seem to vanish here. Those months are cold and cool so really don't even notice the light weight under garment. I mix up a spray and spray my cloths I wear and at the ranch or in the outdoors. I generally have dozens of them on my cloths through the tick season and knock them off as I watch myself pretty closely. When I get home those same cloths go right in a white garbage bag and tie it up till I use them again. I check those cloths very good before I put them back on.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:15 PM   #2379

Celebrated our 14th anniversary at our favorite restaurant, overlooking the Pacific. They did not have any 10 oz lobster tails, so they substituted 2- 6 oz

tails for each of us. finished off with a piece of landslide cake YUM!
Old 11-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #2380
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
.......... I mix up a spray and spray my cloths I wear and at the ranch or in the outdoors......
One can buy concentrated permethrin quite inexpensively as barn fly spray, dilute it and spray clothes - especially socks and pants. It actually kills the ticks before they can climb onto you and seek the moist areas where they like to attach.
Closed Thread