Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 04:31 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

DW took down our tree an hour ago while I took a nap on the couch after watching the Bears game. Now watching The Maid waiting for Yellowstone. Big TV and couch day.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2022, 04:42 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Pretty lowkey today, after hosting some family for Christmas luncheon yesterday. Returned the decorations to their storage bins after everyone left. Today was finalizing end of year numbers, an actual workout (yay me!!), and a soak in the hot tub. 60's today and 4-6 inches of snow tomorrow...what a start to the year!
Old 01-03-2022, 07:12 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I took down outside Christmas decorations, while DW took down the inside ones. Then we put all into the storage bins from attic a and took them back up there. Then I went to Panda House for take out orange chicken. Really exciting day around here.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:46 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Snow day here in Virginia. I got out just before it changed over from rain and put one car in the garage, and moved the other to the end nearer the street.

Thought I would have to drive this afternoon, but that trip has been delayed a day.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:41 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Split some ash for stove and will be going ice fishing around noon.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:49 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

Now, I've written my checks for my property and auto taxes due this month, looked up and tallied my year end balances in the various portfolio accounts and checked and formally opened my comprehensive spreadsheet for 2022.

Happy New Year to all!
Ah, yes...end of year financial clean up. We paid property taxes last week and created new spread sheet for 2022 this morning. Last CC statement should be coming in a few days, so will be time to add up the cash back for the year.

As far as today, slept in until 9:30 (pretty late for me these days) and opened/brewed up a fresh bag of coffee that a good friend sent me from S. America. Fantastically good coffee and wonderful way to start the new year.

Thankfully, we have all the Christmas stuff put away. We decided to do that Friday when the temps were in the 70s...whereas Saturday it was in the mid 20s with a -10 wind chill; no thanks!

It's the 1st of the month, so also time to change HVAC filters, run the emergency generator, and medicate the furry companions. Busy day.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:53 PM   #27

Bizarre shipping adventure of the month. I bought a new iPhone and sent the old one back for trade-in value. Used the FedEx package that Apple sent me, complete with their special tamper-evident security tape.

Well, the little box took nearly two weeks to get from Kentucky to Texas, and then when it finally reached a FedEx location only a few miles from Apple's trade-in center, a "shipment exception" was recorded, and no further information was available online.

So after a few more days I called FedEx (to their credit, they answered promptly) and learned that they didn't deliver it because "the box was empty, and is being returned to you."

So obviously it was pilfered enroute. I called Apple and asked what I should do, and the answer was "Don't worry, this happens all the time. We'll tell FedEx to search for it by serial number and then we'll issue your payment."

FedEx used to be so wonderful, but this little episode was just weird!
Old 01-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Lets see.....Up at 7:00am and with a cup of Joe hit the office. Downloaded all the Christmas pictures from the camera. Edited out the bad and adjusted the rest in the Lightroom program, then resized and saved them to be sent to the online printer. It's Monday so we did some bills and balanced the checkbook. Went for Covid tests as a precaution. (a friend tested positive) Dropped off a book at the library then hit a couple of stores to stock up on groceries for the week. Grabbed some take-out Chinese and went home and had lunch followed by a 15 min nap. Up again and outside to drain and winterize the boat. We live on a lake and put off winterizing as long as possible so we can idle arround and see the Christmas lights from the water. After that it was an hour or two in the workshop finishing up a couple of small projects. A quick shower then it was into the office to help the wife clear out some data to free up some space in her icloud account. Once that was done, I backed up the two computers in my office and then began a Win7 to Win10 upgrade on one of them.

Geez, no wonder I'm so tired. Time for a glass of wine!
Old 01-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
FedEx used to be so wonderful, but this little episode was just weird!
I agree that Fed Ex has declined greatly. It started with the contracted FedEx Ground delivery operation, which has never been very good, but appears to have spread to their overnight/express operation in the past few years..
Old 01-03-2022, 04:10 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Dentist.....got my new implanted tooth at location #9. I feel complete now, but minus $5,800 (surgery, bone graft, implant, abutment, tooth).
Old 01-04-2022, 12:01 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I initiated a 2022 Roth conversion at Schwab (my first - Schwab made it really easy). Picked up the groceries, did the Costco shopping and made a big pot of chili in the crockpot. This evening I booked a Covid test for January 11th at a California state testing facility since my brother called to announce he has had two positive test results using home testing kits and I was with him over the weekend as he groomed our pandemic puppy. Sigh. At least we are both vaccinated and boosted.
Old 01-04-2022, 01:24 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Got the booster shot, did some ice fishing and took few pictures from today and yesterday at the ranch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8591.JPG (112.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8573.jpg (121.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg WGI_0025 (2).jpg (540.9 KB, 57 views)
Old 01-04-2022, 03:52 PM   #33

Took DW's car (the 2014 Honda Accord) up to a new shop for an oil change. I neglected to ask ahead of time how much it was going to be. Yikes - $99.06! For an oil change? I'll find a different shop or consider going back to changing it myself. Yes, they used Mobil 1 synthetic, but that's still outrageous. Just glad I wasn't having anything more involved done.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:52 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Got the booster shot, did some ice fishing and took few pictures from today and yesterday at the ranch.
Very nice - You have a lot of activity at your ranch. Are those turkeys?
Old 01-04-2022, 03:58 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Yes, they are wild Merriam turkey. They are all over and I always enjoy hearing them and seeing through the year.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:00 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

^ looked like turkeys. We have some here but I don't know what kind.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:17 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Took DW's car (the 2014 Honda Accord) up to a new shop for an oil change. I neglected to ask ahead of time how much it was going to be. Yikes - $99.06! For an oil change? I'll find a different shop or consider going back to changing it myself. Yes, they used Mobil 1 synthetic, but that's still outrageous. Just glad I wasn't having anything more involved done.
Walt, you have stumbled on to the reason I do oil changes on my two cars and my daughter's two cars.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:24 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bought a lightly used 5 qt. Kitchenaid Mixer on Craigslist to help me make pizza dough.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
Bought a lightly used 5 qt. Kitchenaid Mixer on Craigslist to help me make pizza dough.

It can do pizza dough and so much more. I bet you’ll love it!
Old 01-04-2022, 11:04 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Very joyous we celebrated Christ’s birth on Dec 18th. Now, after all the Gkids got well we had gifts tonight. 1st delayed Christmas in over 20yrs so I’m not complaining. But, it was weird.
Closed Thread