Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 07:48 PM   #521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^ sounded like a great day! I have giving so much wood away this winter, but I can't burn it all and have plenty.

Love to burn brush piles and clean up old dead fall.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2022, 07:54 PM   #522
Moderator Emeritus

I remember when I used to heat our house with wood in Connecticut in the mid 1970's. I used to cut and split 6 full cords of hardwood each summer. We had a nice house on several acres. Now I just turn up the thermostat when we need heat! I miss my chain saws.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:59 PM   #523
Give me a forum ...

^ it is very enjoyable and relaxing for me also to cut/split/stack wood. I still use gas as primary heat tough. At ranch all heating is done with wood.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:04 PM   #524
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
^ it is very enjoyable and relaxing for me also to cut/split/stack wood. I still use gas as primary heat tough. At ranch all heating is done with wood.

I was a lot younger then and I had local friends who lived on acreage like ours. We used to team up and go cut dead hardwood trees all summer and then split them. I built a gas powered log splitter in the shop and we would have splitting parties. Old memories!
Old 02-20-2022, 08:53 PM   #525
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I was a lot younger then and I had local friends who lived on acreage like ours. We used to team up and go cut dead hardwood trees all summer and then split them. I built a gas powered log splitter in the shop and we would have splitting parties. Old memories!
The good old days! I bet it was a fun with good camaraderie and rewarding as well.
Old 02-20-2022, 08:55 PM   #526
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
The good old days! I bet it was a fun with good camaraderie and rewarding as well.
Yes, we made lifelong friends through those years.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:13 PM   #527
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Worked in the yard today and then went to a Mardi Gras parade in Mobile with my youngest son and some friends. It was a beautiful night for it, but a little chillier than I expected. Should have brought a light jacket.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:12 PM   #528

Funniest thing... I was reading the NY Times online and a headline caught my eye. I had an interest in the topic and read the article but the headline just didn't seem right and kept nagging at me. I asked DW and DD2 what they thought of the headline and they both agreed that it was poor. So I sent an e-mail to the author of the article. An hour later I received an e-mail back from the author!! Sure enough, they agreed with me and changed the headline! Gobsmacked! I would never have thought in a million years. Kudos to them.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:57 AM   #529
Moderator Emeritus

Went for a hike before it warmed up too much to start snow melt. Did some indoor photography of a friend's gun collection. Put another coat of oil on the viking chest I'm making. Rounded up some maps for our southwest road trip.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:28 AM   #530
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday we went for a 15 mile bike ride, and the day before was a 6 mile hike. The weather was perfect all weekend! Today I'm resting sore muscles. May head to the grocery store a bit later but otherwise do some reading.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:36 AM   #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Two wood stoves at the lakehouse. I enjoy the challenge somewhat to "beat the furnace" and heat the house to T shirt temps on the coldest of winter days. I do have to babysit the stoves and check on them every 15-20 mins to make sure they are burning optimally, load more wood, etc. but it can be done. By March usually though, I am tired of the wood hauling and ashy mess.

On another note, if I have some pieces of wood that are a bit wet, I'll put them on top of the stove while it is hot. Some punky wet wood when heated creates the most pleasant, earthy, smoky aroma in the house.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:02 PM   #532

DH and I went to the gym for the first time since Omicron reared its ugly head. CA has lifted mask mandates for most and our gym is following. So DH and I wore our N95s with the valves. So much easier breathing with those on while huffing and puffing away on the eliptical. For a while DH and I were the ONLY ones in that part of the gym with masks on. A few similarly thinking folks arrived soon thereafter.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:23 PM   #533

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
So DH and I wore our N95s with the valves. So much easier breathing with those on while huffing and puffing away on the eliptical. For a while DH and I were the ONLY ones in that part of the gym with masks on. A few similarly thinking folks arrived soon thereafter.
Of course, as far as the rest of the gym was concerned, you did NOT have a mask on. So you were just like them, at least as far as they were concerned.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:24 PM   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Of course, as far as the rest of the gym was concerned, you did NOT have a mask on. So you were just like them, at least as far as they were concerned.
Yep.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:42 PM   #535
Give me a forum ...

We had band practice tonight, our last practice was early December. It was good to see the guys and shake some of the rust off.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:07 AM   #536
Give me a forum ...

DH and I will spend the afternoon continuing our purge through old pictures and slides.
Taking it slow, no reason to cram the project in a timeline.
Today is cold and sunny, a beautiful one.
Old 02-22-2022, 12:15 PM   #537
Give me a forum ...

Skated in the morning.
This afternoon for 20 minutes watched the water utility guy remove old water meter, install newfangled one with cellular transmitter. They will no longer drive to the house to read meter.
BTW, I love w*rk, could watch people do it all day.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:20 PM   #538
Full time employment: Posting here.

Drove for 3 hours trough falling snow and slush so that I could visit my mum and help her with her diet plans. The award was a great hug and a home made dinner!
Old 02-23-2022, 08:22 AM   #539
Administrator

Went to the doctor's office this morning. This crowd greeted me at the door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turkeys at doctor office.jpg (347.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-23-2022, 11:33 AM   #540
Give me a forum ...

Delivered the 2 new Marine Elegance heads to the boat. The broker and I wheeled them down the dock and then lifted them up the stairs and into the boat. I got my workout and legs and back are sore. But the toilet guy can now get to work with the install.
Closed Thread