Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2022, 10:51 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Dentist.....got my new implanted tooth at location #9. I feel complete now, but minus $5,800 (surgery, bone graft, implant, abutment, tooth).
Well, dentists have to make a living somehow! Sounds like you need some dental insurance.
Timeisprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2022, 10:54 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think we'll be doing much today - we're in the middle of a blizzard right now! After breakfast DW and I had some fun enjoying our coffee on our sofa in the living room and watching the snow out our picture window. I had planned on stopping in at the legal assistance center downtown and doing some grocery shopping - nothing that can't wait a day.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:59 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Took DW's car (the 2014 Honda Accord) up to a new shop for an oil change. I neglected to ask ahead of time how much it was going to be. Yikes - $99.06! For an oil change? I'll find a different shop or consider going back to changing it myself. Yes, they used Mobil 1 synthetic, but that's still outrageous. Just glad I wasn't having anything more involved done.
Amazing how expensive things are these days. I have a 2012 Accord that I bought a little over a year ago. I have about 4K miles on it since the last oil change and have thought about getting it changed at a local Valvoline quick change place. With a $25 off coupon, it's still $50 for full synthetic.

This morning, I netted out the pool that was full of leaves thanks to a windy night. Wanted to get it done today, since the temps are going from the mid 40s to the teens tonight and tomorrow. Also started to rearrange the living room since the DW is tired of the "old" layout.
Old 01-05-2022, 02:12 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

PT appt at 7:30 this morning, having trouble with my neck and home care just not working completely.
Paid this months bills, and will watch youngest DGS this afternoon while Mom had an appointment. So Fun!
Old 01-05-2022, 02:17 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Purchased $20k in IBonds, emptied 15 gal of 6 mo old gasoline into the SUV, refilled the cans with fresh gas, added Sta-Bil, and picked up Chinese take out for lunch.

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:26 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeisprecious View Post
Well, dentists have to make a living somehow! Sounds like you need some dental insurance.
Yes, it would be nice if people like me on Medicare, which costs me about $4,000/year, could have some of that applied to dental. But with Medicare, the government found it wasn't necessary to cover (even partially) such things. Also not covered are hearing aids and glasses.

And an open market dental plan would only cover about enough to cover the annual premium, if that. But as a senior, I was given a 10% discount and that was about $600, which would have been what an aftermarket plan would have covered, not including the premium.
Old 01-05-2022, 02:42 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ran in circles screaming while the FOMC meeting was going on?
joesxm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:49 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
PT appt at 7:30 this morning, having trouble with my neck and home care just not working completely.
Paid this months bills, and will watch youngest DGS this afternoon while Mom had an appointment. So Fun!
You're always having fun, aren't you, Pacergal?
Old 01-05-2022, 04:02 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes, it would be nice if people like me on Medicare, which costs me about $4,000/year, could have some of that applied to dental. But with Medicare, the government found it wasn't necessary to cover (even partially) such things. Also not covered are hearing aids and glasses.

And an open market dental plan would only cover about enough to cover the annual premium, if that. But as a senior, I was given a 10% discount and that was about $600, which would have been what an aftermarket plan would have covered, not including the premium.
I'm really sorry to hear that, Aja. Wow - I didn't realize that dental plans on the open market are so abysmal.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:11 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeisprecious View Post
I'm really sorry to hear that, Aja. Wow - I didn't realize that dental plans on the open market are so abysmal.
Yes, they are all pretty bad.

BTW, I have relatives in GR (Kentwood). Nice area.
Old 01-05-2022, 09:55 PM   #51

Quote:
Dentist.....got my new implanted tooth at location #9. I feel complete now, but minus $5,800 (surgery, bone graft, implant, abutment, tooth).

Holy smokes, 1 tooth?

Now I feel better about my partial dentures.

Doc says I am not a good candidate for implants, too much bone loss.
Deep cleaning right side today.
Next month the left side on,

2/2/22 at 2 PM.
MC Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:05 PM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Hope it works great!

Just had my impressions done yesterday, finally getting mine installed on 1/26, can't wait!
Ballhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 10:07 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Rider View Post
Holy smokes, 1 tooth?

Now I feel better about my partial dentures.

Doc says I am not a good candidate for implants, too much bone loss.
Deep cleaning right side today.
Next month the left side on,

2/2/22 at 2 PM.
Front tooth:

Surgeon part:

Remove old tooth
Clean gum infection
Install bone graft material
(wait 5 months)
Drill into new bone and install implant device

Dentist part

Take impressions
send out to have tooth and abutment made
Install new tooth.

(several visits in between all this - 9 month process.)
Old 01-05-2022, 10:07 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballhawker View Post
Hope it works great!

Just had my impressions done yesterday, finally getting mine installed on 1/26, can't wait!
Everything work great! No more temporary plastic tooth!

Hope you have the same results I did!
Old 01-05-2022, 10:16 PM   #55

Quote:
Front tooth:

Surgeon part:

Remove old tooth
Clean gum infection
Install bone graft material
(wait 5 months)
Drill into new bone and install implant device

Dentist part

Take impressions
send out to have tooth and abutment made
Install new tooth.

(several visits in between all this - 9 month process.)

Thanks for the detail. So much for the full mouth of new teeth in a day claims. I guess they only count the last day.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:20 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Rider View Post
Thanks for the detail. So much for the full mouth of new teeth in a day claims. I guess they only count the last day.
You really don't want to try that full mouth in one day stuff, and after they pull them all, you get a temp set stuck in your mouth for several months. Then the real fun begins!
Old 01-05-2022, 10:27 PM   #57

Oh God.

Pass. I can't help think about the possibility it might fail.
Which would be way beyond sucking, apart from the money.

I will do my best to keep the real teeth I still have.
And, no popcorn.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:09 PM   #58

Another guy from the R/C club came over for help diagnosing an intermittent circuit in the operation of the flaps on an airplane. We finally narrowed it down to a loose connection in a "Y" connector at the receiver to the flaps. Fortunately I had one, otherwise I would have had to make it. Not hard to do, but time-consuming. There will be no R/C flying anytime soon with the forecast calling for 3 to 5 inches of snow.

I gave up and filled the gas tank on the snow blower. I fully expect to use it tomorrow.

Oh, and DW took her car out, filled the gas tank, had it washed, came home and informed me that the car will stay in the garage until all snow has melted. In other words, her car will be a garage queen until spring.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:26 PM   #59
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took down all of the outside Christmas lights this morning. Our normal timing, plus with snow coming this evening I did not want to be tramping thru the snow tomorrow of Saturday working on that task.

Took a break early afternoon for a gym workout and swim. Received a kind compliment from a younger female friend. That always boosts my ego .

Going out now to pre-treat the driveway as snow is expected in 30 minutes. Then packing/wrapping/putting away the light strands and other Christmas stuff. One DS said he would be stopping by. I recommended he plan to stay overnight (our house is actually closer to his job that his apartment) to avoid dealing with driving in tonight, but we'll see what he does.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:53 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

DD & family are going to Indy. for the natl. championship game Monday. She called yesterday around noon and said her DH decided to leave a day early to go 1st to Dayton Ohio and tour the Air Force museum. They left around 4 pm and hit snow in Knoxville Tn. I told her they needed to stop there and wait until today to go on, but DH said no he had added 1k of sand bags to bed of his 4x4 truck so they would be ok. Well guess what "Father knows best". They crawled across Jellico mountain and were going 30-35 mph trying to make it to Lexington Ky. where they had reservations. They made it to Williamsburg Ky. and finally turned around to go back to Jellico Tn. around 9pm where she found the last room that a Days Inn had available. I was so relieved because I was scared they would end up stuck on the side of the road or some other idiot would slam into them or similar things happening. I am waiting for a report from them this am.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote