Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-13-2022, 07:34 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The market is dropping. Perhaps it's not too late to do some AA rebalancing and move some equities to the boat asset category.
Yup, did that. Called the broker and ordered up a hundred and sixty grand. Eighty from the IRA and 80 from the after tax.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 07:48 PM   #142
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Most people wouldn't understand and it certainly isn't as important as other issues affecting our lives but it was a sad day for me.

I have been riding motorcycles for a number of years and then 12 years ago I bought my new dream motorcycle with the intention of riding it across country to the west coast when I retired. Due to a number of surgeries since the purchase in the past 10 years and lately beginning to have some balance issues riding became just too dangerous. I was hoping to get past all of that but those issues have taken their toll. So doing my "easy rider" trip never happened and the motorcycle is now sold.

Bummer!

Oh man, I love motorcycles. Sorry for your loss.

I hope the day never comes for me. But I suppose it will.
I gotta do that trip!
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:55 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yup, did that. Called the broker and ordered up a hundred and sixty grand. Eighty from the IRA and 80 from the after tax.
Alrighty! We are all looking forward to seeing the photo of the yacht.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:58 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

I used to have 4, now down to 2 and soon just one.

Gonna sell the BMW R1200RT and keep the Triumph Bonneville T100. Just gotta have a bike. But my days of hours in the saddle resulting in a numb ass are over. My ass gets numb enough in a car seat -

More dough for the "boat fund"
Old 01-13-2022, 08:05 PM   #145

Received in the US Mail a yellow pages phone book.
West San Fernando Valley version, about 3/8" thick.
A phone book. What?!
Old 01-13-2022, 09:56 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

We just finished watching "Friends With Money", a 2006 movie.

I don't understand how people get so miserable while they should not have the problems they have.

If there are people like this in real life, perhaps they should be sent to Afghanistan for a time to cure their misery. They will then realize that they had nothing to complain about, and will come back so happy.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:15 AM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Most people wouldn't understand and it certainly isn't as important as other issues affecting our lives but it was a sad day for me.

I have been riding motorcycles for a number of years and then 12 years ago I bought my new dream motorcycle with the intention of riding it across country to the west coast when I retired. Due to a number of surgeries since the purchase in the past 10 years and lately beginning to have some balance issues riding became just too dangerous. I was hoping to get past all of that but those issues have taken their toll. So doing my "easy rider" trip never happened and the motorcycle is now sold.

Bummer!
I'm not most people and I do understand sir. I still have my RSV as well as m little trailer I pull behind for long trips. It was a lot easier to pull along so mama could get more stuff in it than the saddle bags. But I am getting really close to facing the reality of not being able to go on it before long. This past year I didn't put on enough miles to need an oil change but I did one any way. I'm sorry to see what & why you had to go that route but I do "get it"!
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:35 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

These discussions about boats make me think of Mr. Toad from Wind In The Willows.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:16 AM   #149
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
These discussions about boats make me think of Mr. Toad from Wind In The Willows.
“Believe me my young friend, there is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” -- Ratty
Old 01-14-2022, 11:28 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
“Believe me my young friend, there is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” -- Ratty

That’s right. Toad seemed more likely to blow some dough.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:35 AM   #151
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
That’s right. Toad seemed more likely to blow some dough.
He did have a very splendid motorcar.

There are only two things remaining that came with me from England as a young boy - a battered copy of Wind in the Willows and a golliwog knitted by my nan.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:48 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

What did you do today? - 2022 version

Quote:
He did have a very splendid motorcar.

There are only two things remaining that came with me from England as a young boy - a battered copy of Wind in the Willows and a golliwog knitted by my nan.

Good choices!

For those who’ve gotten Disney+ for whatever reason, there’s a fun animated double feature: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. The first includes the voice of Bing Crosby that stuck with me.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:25 PM   #153
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Posted this on NextDoor & got several PMs asking to pick up a bag. Yeah. I'm not picking them. How should I modify the post?Screenshot_20220114-104342_Nextdoor.jpg
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:00 PM   #154

Have a fully restored 1972 Triumph TR 250 motorcycle sitting in my shop. Everything … down to the tires … is just like it was when it rolled off the assembly line 50 years ago. Has fuel with stabilizer in the tank and battery is on a trickle charge.

The posts about motorcycles above makes me want to roll it out for a few miles around town.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:07 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Posted this on NextDoor & got several PMs asking to pick up a bag. Yeah. I'm not picking them. How should I modify the post?Attachment 41489

Free oranges, bring your bag, you pick.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:14 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just read that quote in The Emerald Mile, an excellent book about an epic dory run through the Grand Canyon.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:39 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Rider View Post
Free oranges, bring your bag, you pick.
Thanks. Will rewrite
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:58 PM   #158
Administrator

I gathered with the other old retired guys in the neighborhood and watched some workmen pour a concrete foundation for a garage extension across the street. Of course, we shot the breeze while we were watching.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:06 PM   #159

I moved the small excavator onto a new site and we had a good day. last night I helped one of the plumbers with an emergency sewer main repair at his own home. I got home about 9pm after that, and really looking forward to the weekend.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:27 AM   #160

- 6 degrees this morning with a -24 deg wind chill. Still got our 2.4 mile morning hike/walk in with the dog. Lots of clothing!
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote