Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 01:26 PM   #1781
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
DW has been hearing something under our deck. Put some cantaloup in a trap and got a raccoon. Released it several miles away. Came home to DW telling me that the sounds are still under the deck. Can’t wait to see what we trap tonight. [...]
We have several raccoons in our back yard, even though we tightly secure our trash cans. No way do we want to get attacked by a rabid raccoon, though. So, even though our houses are very close together, F brings a firearm when he walks over here, just in case.

OK, what did I do today? We went to the Walgreen's drive through to get my new diabetes medication; then went out to lunch (a cup of seafood chowder).

On the way home, we stopped by the boat launch on Lake Ponchartrain, which is about 1/4 mile from home. We parked there and watched the seagulls frolic. They are so doggone cute! We only saw 4 boats on the lake, even though it is a Saturday, because thunderstorms were moving in.

Overall, nothing too constructive but that's OK, it's been another fun and relaxing day of retirement. The worst day of retirement is better than the best day of working life, and actually this was better than either of those.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2022, 02:47 PM   #1782
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
On the way home, we stopped by the boat launch on Lake Ponchartrain, which is about 1/4 mile from home. We parked there and watched the seagulls frolic. They are so doggone cute! ...
I thought seagulls were cute too, until I saw videos of seagulls eating ducklings, pigeons, and even swallowing a duck.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-13-2022, 03:01 PM   #1783
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We're just decompressing on the first days of our vacation, and our friends had lots of small little repairs that were going to require a plumber or an electrician. I said bollocks to that, and we went to the hardware store and I fixed the toilet and a few outlets and kept them at bay. More money for us to go cruising with :-)
He has lots of parts and tools, but is not handy with these kinds of repairs.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
Old 08-13-2022, 04:34 PM   #1784

We're enjoying the nice weather (clear, sunny, low 80's, low humidity) and I got out the pressure washer to clean off the screened-in back porch and the deck, then did the front porch as well. It never fails to surprise me a bit how much dirt accumulates in just a few months, I guess because it's so evenly spread. But cleaning it off makes it look so much better. By then I was on a roll so I did the front porch as well, but that's concrete so it's easier, no caution required, crank it up to 3,000 psi and let 'er rip.

By the time I was done I was so grungy from "pressure washer bounceback" that DW didn't want to let me in the house, but allowed as to how that would be awkward if I stripped outside. So I was admitted to the laundry room (via the garage entrance of course) where I dropped off all clothing on my way to the shower. Hey, at least she didn't want to use the pressure washer on me!
Old 08-13-2022, 05:20 PM   #1785

I spent the day with our grandson while DH, DD, and DSIL enjoyed a day on the whitewater. They appreciated the day on the water and I got lots of kisses.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:02 PM   #1786
Give me a forum ...

Spent the morning trimming back several trees whose branches had grown a little to close to the house for my liking.

Spent the afternoon biking 20 miles on a local bike trail - gorgeous weather - mid-s 70's low humidity, gentle breeze ooh la la!

Now getting ready for a date night with DW, getting my dancing shoes ready.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:08 PM   #1787
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Let us know if you have a heavy trap in the morning.
Didn't have to wait til morning. Groundhog was trapped around 7:30 pm. Here he is with his friend the raccoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4984.jpg (1.17 MB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4985.jpg (1.13 MB, 36 views)
Old 08-13-2022, 07:19 PM   #1788
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Didn't have to wait til morning. Groundhog was trapped around 7:30 pm. Here he is with his friend the raccoon.
Nice!! Interesting!
I have never seen a groundhog or a possum in the wild or captivity.

The mask bandits we have here.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:50 AM   #1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Nice!! Interesting!
I have never seen a groundhog or a possum in the wild or captivity.
Possum going for some spilled seed under the birdfeeder, here in the suburbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 7.48.20 AM.jpg (236.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-14-2022, 05:55 AM   #1790
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Possum going for some spilled seed under the birdfeeder, here in the suburbs.
LOL! I know I wouldn't want a fur coat made from one of those. Thanks for the picture, Braumeister.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:00 AM   #1791
Give me a forum ...

As long as our resident creature stays under the decking out by DH wood working Shed and doesn't move to the house deck, I am OK.
Both DS and DD have seen something walking around out there in the later evening/night when they are here.
DS thinks a skunk, DD things a large mole.
Our raccoon mama and babies moved on last year and haven't been back.

Today, DH and I are replacing the old blinds in one bedroom and putting up nice draperies.
Eventually, they all will be replaced as the blinds are a good 25 years old, fabric, and looking pretty bedraggled. The things you put up with while working and raising kids!
Old 08-14-2022, 11:50 AM   #1792
Give me a forum ...

Today I am finally well post covid. Now DW has it. She's pretty miserable. I ran some errands while masked and am now relaxing outdoors.

We had visitors last night at 3AM, a pack of coyotes was down in the canyon below our house. Our little Shih Tzu went nuts and stood gaurd the rest of the night. I have no idea what it thought it was doing but the thing ran a bear off a while back, it thinks it runs the universe.
Old 08-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #1793

This morning I painted about two-thirds of the floor in the screened-in porch, finishing one can of paint that had been started about five years ago and opening another. They seem to match so far but I'll know better in a month or so. I've seen paint take that long to fully cure. This paint has a "full cure" time of seven days so I'll finish the other third of the floor then, when we can move the glider and footstool to the newly painted part while I paint the undone part.

Then I went with DW over to BIL and SIL's house to feed their dog. She's in John's Hopkins in Baltimore undergoing cancer surgery to her tongue and throat, expecting to be released the middle of next week. There will still be months of therapy afterward as she'll have to learn to swallow and speak again, among other issues. It's going to be a long haul for her.

This cancer was found during a routine dental exam. So when your dentist tells you "You should get this checked further", pay attention and do it.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:31 PM   #1794
Administrator

I was a plumber today. The bathroom sink clogged, so I had to take the trap out and snake the drain line. Being able to hook my hand drill up to the snake was a real lifesaver in clearing the clog (which was primarily the young wife's hair). Went to Lowes and got a new P-trap since the existing one was pretty beat. Everything is now back together and working fine, and I even scrubbed the bathroom while I was cleaning up.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:32 PM   #1795
Give me a forum ...

DH and I put together a bedside table that he had refinished.
Now shopping on Amazon for a nice little lamp to go on it!
Old 08-15-2022, 02:03 PM   #1796

Had a mid-afternoon checkup at the dermatologist's, he froze off a couple of pre-cancerous spots but I'm otherwise okay. They made an appointment for a year out so evidently I'm expected to live that long.

An R/C club meeting is this evening so I'm about to leave for that, of course taking a couple of airplanes with me.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:25 PM   #1797
Administrator

Yesterday DW and I went out to dinner. First time this year I’ve worn shoes, socks, trousers and a belt.

Today I replaced the under-counter water filter. The old one was leaking. I also moved it an inch, as it was too close to the bottom. I have a new appreciation for drilling holes and tightening screws in a cramped space with no leverage.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:32 PM   #1798

Spent most of the day at the R/C flying site, half the time checking out a new club member for solo flights (he passed) and doing some flying myself that I was behind on. I had the video camera on a couple of flights but I'm too tired now to think about editing any of that. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:57 PM   #1799

I picked a half bushel of okra from a friend's garden Monday and have spent the last two days giving some of it away to other friends and putting it up. I also tried a few new recipes- okra fries was a winner!
Old 08-17-2022, 06:27 PM   #1800
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I picked a half bushel of okra from a friend's garden Monday and have spent the last two days giving some of it away to other friends and putting it up. I also tried a few new recipes- okra fries was a winner!
I agree on the okra fries! We pickle some of ours, and also freeze some for use in gumbo later.