Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 06:54 PM   #1801
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Soldered up some wires and connectors for the stereo redo on the big boat. Prepped the anchor light stalk and installed the grommet.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2022, 07:31 PM   #1802
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Replaced fuel pump on my 52 Chevy. Mowed the grass, about 2 acres worth; then trimmed and blew off driveway and around back patio. Made homemade pizza for dinner.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 08-17-2022, 07:58 PM   #1803
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Replaced fuel pump on my 52 Chevy. Mowed the grass, about 2 acres worth; then trimmed and blew off driveway and around back patio. Made homemade pizza for dinner.
Obviously, you are getting lazy and becoming a slacker.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 08-18-2022, 01:27 AM   #1804
Give me a forum ...

Well, obviously not sleeping right now! For some reason, my brain is bouncing from one thing to another and I can't sleep. This hasn't happened in a while.
I stopped all sleep meds several months ago and have been doing well, the last three nights, wide awake until after midnight!
Ah well, I don't have to be at work tomorrow, so there is a bright side. :-)
AC is on, so I can't blame the heat.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:15 AM   #1805
Moderator Emeritus

Getting an early 4am start to the day. Plan is a morning workout, annual Medicare exam, shopping for leather to make a knife sheath, and some wood to make tray dividers, and pick up supplies for a road trip.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:17 AM   #1806

We've been to the CoalBrookdale iron museum so far today.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
Old 08-18-2022, 04:12 PM   #1807

Mowed the front half of the yard. Will do the other half shortly when it cools down a bit more.
Old 08-18-2022, 04:55 PM   #1808

Later we toured Wroxeter, the location of Viriconium. It was the 4th largest city in Roman Britain.
https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/...er-roman-city/

Then we had dinner with friends near Audley. We had not seen them in 13 years and it was like yesterday.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
Old 08-19-2022, 05:44 AM   #1809
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pressure washed 3 sides of the house, didn't do the back side again because we already did it in May when we restained deck. Next on adgenda is to use the round whirly gig pressure wash thing to do the driveway.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:57 AM   #1810

Early AM wake up to declutter the house and pick up rugs ahead of monthly cleaning service, a seven mile beach run followed by a quick dash to supermarket to pick up some Friday Deals (like 99 cent per lb grapes), home to clean up then back out to volunteer shift at a nearby state beach, home to chill for a few (guitar, read, needlepoint), then a picnic Happy Hour and dinner with friends at our harbor near the entrance point so we can enjoy the sailboats coming in and out, plus the abundant sealife. In particular we enjoy watching the noisy sea lions, and the pelicans diving for their dinner.

I wake up every day thankful we made the decision to relocate here five years ago. We didn't just buy a new house, we bought a new lifestyle.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:22 AM   #1811

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Early AM wake up to declutter the house and pick up rugs ahead of monthly cleaning service,
LOL I had to lol at this because my DD does similar every Thursday evening when she is picking up DGD from us. She has to get home to "clean up" because the cleaners are coming tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:45 AM   #1812

I got home a couple of hours ago from my bike ride. The wife went out a bit later for a walk with one of her girl friends and forgot she left a pot of eggs cooking on the stove. By the time I got home the house was full of smoke from rotten burning eggs that exploded on the stove. I could barely see across the rooms. At first I thought the house was burning up. Nothing like exploded burning eggs on the stove top and that sulfur like smell.
I shut the cats in the back of the house and started opening as many doors and windows as I could, turned off the air conditioner, and turned on every fan in the house. Tried to get in touch with my wife but no luck and left messages.
It is a couple of hours later now and the smoke is finally gone but the smell lingers. Turned the air condition back on, shut all the windows, turned on a dehumidifier (its amazing how humid it is on the Florida coast. About 80+% today), and Febreeze sprayed the entire house.
When wife got home she was sorry and I made a point of not saying anything more. Didn't want any more excitement. Think I'll have an early morning beer.

Cheers!
Old 08-19-2022, 10:02 AM   #1813
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I got home a couple of hours ago from my bike ride. The wife went out a bit later for a walk with one of her girl friends and forgot she left a pot of eggs cooking on the stove. By the time I got home the house was full of smoke from rotten burning eggs that exploded on the stove. I could barely see across the rooms. At first I thought the house was burning up. Nothing like exploded burning eggs on the stove top and that sulfur like smell.
I shut the cats in the back of the house and started opening as many doors and windows as I could, turned off the air conditioner, and turned on every fan in the house. Tried to get in touch with my wife but no luck and left messages.
It is a couple of hours later now and the smoke is finally gone but the smell lingers. Turned the air condition back on, shut all the windows, turned on a dehumidifier (its amazing how humid it is on the Florida coast. About 80+% today), and Febreeze sprayed the entire house.
When wife got home she was sorry and I made a point of not saying anything more. Didn't want any more excitement. Think I'll have an early morning beer.

Cheers!
Wow, Badger! Your wife sure knows how to liven up your retirement. That would have freaked me out! Congrats on holding your tongue, which couldn't have been easy (but was the wise choice, I'm sure).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-19-2022, 10:22 AM   #1814
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday, with 4 wheeler, dragged some fallen dead trees onto a sunny area at camp. In a few days will cut them up for firewood and truck them to the house,
Old 08-19-2022, 10:24 AM   #1815
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday went and worked on the lean-to and then hiked up into the cabin for lunch. A beautiful 70-degree day.

Building the lean-to.
Hiking into cabin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0011.jpg (140.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0008.jpg (111.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 08-19-2022, 12:51 PM   #1816
Recycles dryer sheets

street, I like your sense of style, its a bold choice to put an ironing board in the corral. It reminds me of the rodeo stunt where they play poker while a mean bull charges around knocking the contestants down till only one remains seated.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:45 PM   #1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
LOL I had to lol at this because my DD does similar every Thursday evening when she is picking up DGD from us. She has to get home to "clean up" because the cleaners are coming tomorrow.
I just had this same discussion with my Dad. I clarified I don't clean (seriously, so not interested in cleaning!) but I do want to ensure they[ can clean without having to work around unnecessary clutter. Same reason for taking up the rugs.

Plus it's a great discipline to keep things moving out of the house and into the Donate pile!
Old 08-19-2022, 08:24 PM   #1818
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeadub View Post
street, I like your sense of style, its a bold choice to put an ironing board in the corral. It reminds me of the rodeo stunt where they play poker while a mean bull charges around knocking the contestants down till only one remains seated.
That is an expand metal round picnic table. Lol It comes in handy for an old guy wanted to sit back and have a glass of wine or fry up some dinnah. There is an older rancher that comes by when I'm there and we sit and shoot the bull.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:34 PM   #1819
Give me a forum ...

Went out to the boat and installed the 4 channel mains amp and the subwoofer amp. Got them up and out of the way, but not so far as I can't see the controls. But the doors work properly now, the head unit is now on the dash and not behind the door where closing the door turns it on and off...

Yeah, fixing stuff the previous owner didn't have a "firm grasp" on. You really have to wonder about some people after you see what they have done.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:14 PM   #1820
Give me a forum ...

I have been surfin' the Web to flesh out our upcoming Sep-Oct France/Italy road trip.

I had a rough itinerary mapped out way in advance in order to book flights. Then, the night stops have to be nailed down, the hotels booked, the local attractions and activities researched.

Bigger towns need a lot more time for research, just for the transportation. Where to park the car for the stay? Driving the car to each attraction, or is there convenient public transportation? How far to walk to/from parking places or train/bus stations? Even a town like Bolzano takes some research for parking places and walking distances, and avoidance of the dreaded ZTLs (Zona Traffico Limitato).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Closed Thread