Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 07:00 AM   #61
Administrator

Woke up to 6" of snow on the ground, so I know what I will be doing later today.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2022, 07:08 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^ that fresh air and shoveling will keep you young Gumby. Lol

Have a fun day.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:42 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Woke up to 6" of snow on the ground, so I know what I will be doing later today.
+1 - 10 inches here.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:45 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

5 inches here. Went to start up the snow thrower and found that neither DH nor I could open the can of premixed 50:1 fuel-the cap wasn’t functional. So we shoveled.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:53 AM   #65
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeisprecious View Post
+1 - 10 inches here.
6 in. was my guess from inside. The young wife took the ruler to it, and it turns out to be 9 in. More than was estimated last night. Anyway, I've got the sidewalk and front walk done, and enough of the driveway to get the car out if necessary. Taking a rest now.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:09 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

It's a bright sunny day so I got the tractor out and "started" smoothing out the bumps on our private rock road... The air temps are a little to cold outside (for me) so I'll finish if off off later today when it warms up a bit.
Old 01-07-2022, 01:56 PM   #67
Administrator

We had a wind mitigation inspection today. It’s needed to get an insurance quote and ours is more than 5 years old. The inspector shows up on time and parks on the wrong side of the street (we have one side only parking, alternating by month). That’s not uncommon so I was out front when he arrived, and asked him to move his truck to the other side. He refused, which is a first for me in the 15 years we’ve been here, and when I pressed, he said “I’m not gonna move my truck, and if the security guy shows, I’ll show him what’s what and explain why not”. He turned and walked away with a harrumph, and sure enough, right then security showed up.

I called the inspector out, was expecting a challenge and had my phone ready, and sure enough he walked up to the security officer and said “where do you want me to move it?”
Old 01-07-2022, 01:59 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We had a wind mitigation inspection today. It’s needed to get an insurance quote and ours is more than 5 years old. The inspector shows up on time and parks on the wrong side of the street (we have one side only parking, alternating by month). That’s not uncommon so I was out front when he arrived, and asked him to move his truck to the other side. He refused, which is a first for me in the 15 years we’ve been here, and when I pressed, he said “I’m not gonna move my truck, and if the security guy shows, I’ll show him what’s what and explain why not”. He turned and walked away with a harrumph, and sure enough, right then security showed up.

I called the inspector out, was expecting a challenge and had my phone ready, and sure enough he walked up to the security officer and said “where do you want me to move it?”

Which leads to the question, how did you fare on your inspection?
Old 01-07-2022, 02:04 PM   #69

We had 1.5 to to 2 inches of snow, barely worth starting the snow blower for but I knew my back would thank me, so fire it up I did. And that was about the only useful thing I did today.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:15 PM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Which leads to the question, how did you fare on your inspection?
There has been no change to the house since the last inspection 6 years ago, so it should be exactly the same. This is for wind mitigation, which lowers the premium for hurricane coverage when the house meets specific building code specs. It’s an old house, but the new (7 years old) roof gives a sizable offset.
What did you do today? - 2022 version
Old 01-07-2022, 05:31 PM   #71
Dryer sheet aficionado

What did you do today? - 2022 version

Been taking care of my wife. She tested positive Tuesday for COVID with a home test. She has trouble breathing, sore throat and fever. We had 2 vaccine shots and 1 booster. She talked to her Dr today. They discussed what she’s doing and then said she was doing all she would recommend and to call back if she gets worse or go to the ER.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:37 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last year, a friend convinced me to join a "Run the Year" challenge - as in 2,021 miles run or walked. Well, it was difficult at times but I completed that challenge on Christmas Eve.

Therefore, of course I am signed up again - plus a 52 hike challenge (1 hike each week) AND the two challenges at my state park (hike each trail in the park and hike a total of 100 miles).

So today was a hike of 6.5 miles in the state park (4 trails completed, 3 partial) and already 38.76 miles towards my 2,022 mile goal. Plus scheduling to lead two group hikes at the park on Monday (5 miles and one more trail completed).
Old 01-07-2022, 09:42 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, after arriving in our New Retirement home in Boerne, Tx our HHG’s arrive tomorrow. Fun stuff! Looking forward to getting it all settled [emoji4]
Old 01-08-2022, 03:31 PM   #74

Started looking at floors (finally)!! The guy said "don't put in hardwood, bamboo, engineered hardwood, or engineered bamboo only laminate or you'll regret it." So stuck and looking for input. Narrowed down to 3 choices (far right is a freebie)
20220108_132659.jpg If I do either on left (1 bamboo, 1 engineered bamboo) I can really REALLY close match what's already in. So then I'd just do family room, laundry, 1/2 bath. This is not on slab.

Is he right
Old 01-08-2022, 03:37 PM   #75

DW and her sister took off on a mission to babysit spoil rotten her newest grandneice while the parents go off for a day by themselves. So at least for a while I have the whole house to myself.
Old 01-08-2022, 03:57 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Started looking at floors (finally)!! The guy said "don't put in hardwood, bamboo, engineered hardwood, or engineered bamboo only laminate or you'll regret it." So stuck and looking for input. Narrowed down to 3 choices (far right is a freebie)
Attachment 41450 If I do either on left (1 bamboo, 1 engineered bamboo) I can really REALLY close match what's already in. So then I'd just do family room, laundry, 1/2 bath. This is not on slab.

Is he right
The middle one looks good to me. I don't think he is right if not on a slab. I think he just wants the easy install. Did he give you any real data or reason other than "you'll regret it". Why will you regret it?
Old 01-08-2022, 04:05 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
The middle one looks good to me. I don't think he is right if not on a slab. I think he just wants the easy install. Did he give you any real data or reason other than "you'll regret it". Why will you regret it?
I agree on all counts
Old 01-08-2022, 04:10 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I also say middle one.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:55 PM   #79

We picked up a wheeled walker for DW's BFF who is in the hospital after an emergency bowel obstruction surgery. We also got some scrub pants for her, something loose and easy for dealing with an ostomy.
Then we attended a house and landscape show at the fairgrounds, and got a few ideas. Now I am sketching up sample floorplans.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
Old 01-08-2022, 05:12 PM   #80

Thanks everyone. The middle one is solid strand bamboo and I kind of think the dog is right (but I don't take design influence from him)
Closed Thread