Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 06:08 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree with the dog. The middle one.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2022, 06:36 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looked at a 42 foot trawler, looks pretty good!
Old 01-08-2022, 06:44 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Started looking at floors (finally)!! The guy said "don't put in hardwood, bamboo, engineered hardwood, or engineered bamboo only laminate or you'll regret it." So stuck and looking for input. Narrowed down to 3 choices (far right is a freebie)
Attachment 41450 If I do either on left (1 bamboo, 1 engineered bamboo) I can really REALLY close match what's already in. So then I'd just do family room, laundry, 1/2 bath. This is not on slab.

Is he right
We removed the builder grade hardwood maple flooring and carpet and except for the kitchen, laundry room and bathrooms, installed Cali Bamboo throughout the entire house. The installers had to level the downstairs slab (cost a few hundred more than the estimate), but the bamboo flooring has held up great against two big dogs playing with their balls and other toys. And our son’s allergies disappeared once the carpet was removed from his bedroom. I have no hesitation in recommending Cali bamboo flooring. Not sure about the quality of products from other manufacturers.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:25 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

House Hold Goods finally showed up at ourt new home in Boerne Texas with a second load coming this week. Wow, not sure how I ever had time to actually hold down a gig lol
Old 01-08-2022, 10:15 PM   #85

Quote:
Started looking at floors (finally)!! The guy said "don't put in hardwood, bamboo, engineered hardwood, or engineered bamboo only laminate or you'll regret it."

Laminate would be the last of those five choices for me. Last time I used it, it was for cost alone because I was covering a large area.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:23 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

We put in premium laminate (12 mm) and it is very loud, you can hear the doggy toenails clicking all the way. But despite 2 large dogs playing, running, chasing, jumping, slobbering and scratching...looks just like it did installed 4 years ago. No scratches, no drool marks, nothing.

Other than it's loud, everything else is great.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:55 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
Quote:
Started looking at floors (finally)!! The guy said "don't put in hardwood, bamboo, engineered hardwood, or engineered bamboo only laminate or you'll regret it." So stuck and looking for input. Narrowed down to 3 choices (far right is a freebie)
Attachment 41450 If I do either on left (1 bamboo, 1 engineered bamboo) I can really REALLY close match what's already in. So then I'd just do family room, laundry, 1/2 bath. This is not on slab.

Is he right
We have distressed engineered bamboo in our kitchen since 2017. It replaced tile that had chipped and cracked along underlayment joins. We are very happy with the new floor. It is easy to keep clean, a softer landing for dropped glassware and has held up very well under shoes and two dogs' paws.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:03 PM   #88

Spent some time last night and a couple of hours this morning tallying our assets and retirement account draws using end-of-year statements.

I had targeted 4% of assets, increased from 3.3% when I lost a pension supplement on turning 62 this fall. The actual draw for December 2021, including a prorated quarterly payment, was 3.9%. I'll wait to see how our tax withholding turns out before making any changes, though I think we've over-withheld.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:52 PM   #89

Yesterday - spent some time talking to a young salesman for solar. Pretty sure we aren't going with his company since a) his HIS license (sales person for contractor) was for a different company than the literature and his logo'd shirt. b) the company that he was supposedly representing wasn't listed with the Contractors licensing board. c) bad yelp reviews. d) the company his sales license was for has issues of sketchy workmans comp insurance, etc.

As you can tell - we've been burned by a contractor in the past and will make 100% sure we do our due dilligence.

So - surveyed family and friends and got 2 more contractors who are going to give us quotes this week... both pass the licensing checks.

Today - very sadly started cancelling the vacation parts before and after our now cancelled transatlantic cruise. Still have to figure out how to get CASH back on the deposit on the cruise - we had purchased trip insurance so it should be doable but the website is less than straightforward.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:57 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Bought my 2022 $10 K I bond.
Old 01-09-2022, 02:32 PM   #91

Spent the morning making a big batch of hearty soup that will last us all week. One of the simplest things you can do in the kitchen, and one of the most rewarding.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:06 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Spent the morning making a big batch of hearty soup that will last us all week. One of the simplest things you can do in the kitchen, and one of the most rewarding.
I agree especially during the NH winters. DW is finishing up the big batch of lentil soup as we speak.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:22 PM   #93

Made chocolate chip cookies with grandkids and watched football. Steelers / Ravens game WOW[emoji50]

My new life right now ..... grandkids weekends while DD works (MN Sat - 4pm Sunday). But I did set Tuesday appt for flooring & Thursday appt for new cooktop to replace $50 open box special put in early 90s. Blowing a little dough as next 2 cruises covered with FCC
Old 01-09-2022, 03:23 PM   #94

Cooked a batch of chili yesterday. Not hard to do and tastier than the store bought canned ones. First time cooking dried beans. Man they have to boil a long time, about 3 hours.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:33 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Good idea. I have some veggies that are headed south - time to make a big veggie, potato, and bean soup.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:47 PM   #96

I spent a few hours standing in freezing rain as our firefighters battled a house fire. We were back in the woods and there wasn’t much traffic for me to worry about, so I got to watch the operations more than usual. We were 2.5 miles from the nearest water source, the last 1.5 miles being a gravel road that was a sheet of ice when I drove in. Getting water to the hoses was a challenge.

All occupants of the house (people and pets) were uninjured but the house is a total loss. Whenever I get cold/tired/hungry/cranky at a scene, I always remind myself that someone else is having a very bad day.

It was easier to get home from the scene than it was to get out there because the tankers that were shuttling water the icy road into a muddy mess.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:05 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Travel day today, moved from a Panama City Beach rental to Kissimmee for the next 2 weeks. Upon check in we asked and found out that there's an Aldi a block away.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:09 PM   #98

I tripped on neighbors uneven sidewalk and face planted at the end of a 4 mile run in open space. Deciding to focus on beautiful 4 mile run instead of bruised palms & knees

Should've just watched another game (skipped 49ers VS rams)
Old 01-10-2022, 05:57 AM   #99
Full time employment: Posting here.

Made a batch of low carb oat pita breads. Smells delicious!

Then had a coffee at my brothers place since my niece were visiting. She is 21 and has no idea about what to do with her life. So at first I got worried but then remembered that I was 25 when I finally decided on my career path.

Back home again it smells so good and I now want those pita breads for dinner!
Old 01-10-2022, 06:52 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Today I plan on spending the day at the ranch. I went a few days ago and it started to rain and freezing and had to get out of there pretty fast. I had to stop twice to scrap ice off of windshield.

Today I will burn a brush pile since the temps and wind are going to be ideal.
Closed Thread