Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 09:27 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been busy playing with my new set of LFP cells. These are Headway 38120 format cells. They are only 8Ah each, but can push 200A continually hence are big and heavy for their capacity. The energy density is 1/2 that of the common LFP cells. They came in a package of 48 cells in a 24V assembly for an unknown industrial application.

I don't have the need for this power (you can drain the cell in 2.5 min and charge them in 5 min), but they come in an industrial assembly that is rugged and convenient to use. In measuring the cells, I found that there was an intermittent connection in a balance lead, and had to take the assembly apart to measure each individual cell. So far, they all measure higher than 8Ah. Perhaps it's the loose connection that caused the assembly to be pulled out of service. I still need to check each of the cells out, because one weak cell can ruin the performance of the whole pack of 48 cells.

I will put everything back when I am through. Everything is bolted together, hence the disassembly is not destructive.

The $/kWh is not that good, but the intention is to use the rugged industrial assemblies as is for a solar app I am planning.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2022, 09:34 AM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
Posted this on NextDoor & got several PMs asking to pick up a bag. [emoji2960]Yeah. I'm not picking them. How should I modify the post?Attachment 41489
If your area has a local "gleaners club", they might come out and pick clean for seniors or low income. You probably have to call them though.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:31 AM   #163

Short grocery run to a different store for some stuff that the "normal store" didn't have or I forgot, mainly lettuce and cucumbers. In preparation for the forecast snowstorm, DW wanted some hot chocolate mix and a can of whipped cream so I got that too.

Her idea of "what to do in a snowstorm" is turn on the gas fireplace and sip hot chocolate with whipped cream and watch the snow come down.

Sounds like a plan to me.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:13 PM   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Went to visit my golfing partner that had the stroke last November. He is still in assisted living with minimal improvement (left side paralyzed, blind in one eye).

He's real depressed and can't wait to get out of there. But no one is able to help him at home so it will cost $$$ to do that.

Boy, I am so lucky to have great health at 78.I don't know what I would do if I had a stroke like he is suffering from. On top of the stroke, he has lost weight, and he didn't need to in the first place.

It's going down into the 30's F here tonight. Time to turn the heat up!
Old 01-15-2022, 12:19 PM   #165

Just had a very scary incident at our house. The chimney is being recrowned today by a professional chimney repair company. It's in the low 40s with high winds today, so not a fun day for being up on a roof. Suddenly I heard a lot of noise from outside and when I looked out the back door, one of the crew was sprawled face down on the patio. The ladder had fallen (I suspect with him on it) and the other guy was stuck on the roof. I called the main office and they got the owner and called EMS. Before EMS got here, the guy got up and walked to his truck, but they took him to the hospital after evaluation. Fortunately one of the firemen put the ladder back up for the other guy (too big for me to do it on my own). They sent another guy to help get the repair finished. A little too much excitement for my taste!
Old 01-15-2022, 12:25 PM   #166
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Just had a very scary incident at our house. The chimney is being recrowned today by a professional chimney repair company. It's in the low 40s with high winds today, so not a fun day for being up on a roof. Suddenly I heard a lot of noise from outside and when I looked out the back door, one of the crew was sprawled face down on the patio. The ladder had fallen (I suspect with him on it) and the other guy was stuck on the roof. I called the main office and they got the owner and called EMS. Before EMS got here, the guy got up and walked to his truck, but they took him to the hospital after evaluation. Fortunately one of the firemen put the ladder back up for the other guy (too big for me to do it on my own). They sent another guy to help get the repair finished. A little too much excitement for my taste!
Yikes!

Down here a few miles south of you the winds are really gusting - up to 50 MPH. Many areas of San Antonio are without power due to downed lines. I'm surprised that company put people on your roof in these conditions.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:15 PM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been hunkered down all day today. Reading this forum is always good to consume an hour or two!

Currently - 13mph wind with a -4 windchill. At 8am it was -19 windchill.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:22 PM   #168
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Now that flooring is picked up and settled on installer, shopping for barn door kits. That pocket door between laundry & 1/2 bath wins. It can stay permanently closed. Hidden in the wall.

It's not really a 'Blow the Dough' experience because it should come in well under budget.

Hopefully by Friday I'll just be waiting for new cooktop to be installed and looking for furniture. I hear that can cost more than floors
Old 01-15-2022, 03:26 PM   #169
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yikes!

Down here a few miles south of you the winds are really gusting - up to 50 MPH. Many areas of San Antonio are without power due to downed lines.
Yikes indeed! Our winds are gusting to 36 mph right now, which isn't enough to be scary but it sure is a great display of Mother Nature's power. Nothing has fallen down, or broken, at least not yet.

As for what I've been doing all day, well, mostly sleeping? Not sure why I am so sleepy. It's definitely nice to be retired.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-15-2022, 04:57 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
........... That pocket door between laundry & 1/2 bath wins. It can stay permanently closed. Hidden in the wall.....

We closed off a door at our place, 1 small bath had 2 doors. It seems larger with just 1 door. It's very small.

Today, could not find the specific Kwikset Tylo Bedroom / Bath Satin Nickel door knobs to match the others in the house. Needed 4 of them. Looked in 4 stores. Came home and ordered on Amazon.

Don't ask why I did not change them along with the others a few years ago. The 4 knobs are all doors off the hallway, the ones I changed before are in the more public areas of the house. Yeah, that must be it.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:57 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yikes!

Down here a few miles south of you the winds are really gusting - up to 50 MPH. Many areas of San Antonio are without power due to downed lines. I'm surprised that company put people on your roof in these conditions.
My brother-in-law had his house reroofed in the middle of the summer, under the scorching sun and 115F temperature.

The contractor taking the job said he did not mind. Said his guys still had to eat, even when it was that hot.

Makes me appreciate more what I have.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-15-2022, 05:52 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Went and looked at 2 boats today, got into the nitty-gritty of boat deals with the broker. Hauling, through hulls, bottom paint, marine and mechanical surveys, insurance, sea test and the offering process.

Made an offer on a 44 foot trawler.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:59 PM   #173
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Went and looked at 2 boats today, got into the nitty-gritty of boat deals with the broker. Hauling, through hulls, bottom paint, marine and mechanical surveys, insurance, sea test and the offering process.

Captain Robbie soon!
Old 01-15-2022, 06:03 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

RobbieB that is great, exciting times! Now just wait and see, keep us posted if offer is accepted.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post

The great loop he he comes!
Old 01-15-2022, 06:39 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
The great loop he he comes!
How will Robbie get to the Great Loop from where he is?

Will it be one heck of an adventure by itself, perhaps more so than the Great Loop?

Old 01-15-2022, 07:08 PM   #177

he can take the NW passage that now opens up from time to time
Old 01-15-2022, 07:38 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
How will Robbie get to the Great Loop from where he is?

Will it be one heck of an adventure by itself, perhaps more so than the Great Loop?

BTD. Shipper. Lol
Old 01-15-2022, 07:39 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

I'd have to lock through the Panama Canal -

I could go to Alaska for the summer and San Diego for the winter.

Boat has (2) 235 HP Volvo turbo diesels and an 800 gallon fuel tank.

Very serious stuff!
Old 01-15-2022, 07:53 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have been busy playing with my new set of LFP cells. These are Headway 38120 format cells. They are only 8Ah each, but can push 200A continually hence are big and heavy for their capacity. The energy density is 1/2 that of the common LFP cells. They came in a package of 48 cells in a 24V assembly for an unknown industrial application.

I don't have the need for this power (you can drain the cell in 2.5 min and charge them in 5 min), but they come in an industrial assembly that is rugged and convenient to use. In measuring the cells, I found that there was an intermittent connection in a balance lead, and had to take the assembly apart to measure each individual cell. So far, they all measure higher than 8Ah. Perhaps it's the loose connection that caused the assembly to be pulled out of service. I still need to check each of the cells out, because one weak cell can ruin the performance of the whole pack of 48 cells.

I will put everything back when I am through. Everything is bolted together, hence the disassembly is not destructive.

The $/kWh is not that good, but the intention is to use the rugged industrial assemblies as is for a solar app I am planning.
That sounds like a fun project.
Closed Thread