What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past weekend we drove into Manhattan on Sunday. One DS was attending a graduate school conference there for the week, and had ordered a bunch of things that had been shipped to us for him to bring back overseas. ¡Ay, caramba!

The last time I drove in Manhattan was 2010, and I was again reminded why. An hour to drive the last 3 miles to the parking garage (at least we stayed in a hotel in New Jersey the night before). Almost all garages in Manhattan are valet parking, so shell out $40 to park 6 hours (at least the attendant was very nice and pleasant, we were sure to tip him). Then DS notified us as we were a couple of blocks from parking garage that his room for the conference had changed, so after parking instead of walking less than a block we now had to walk about 15 minutes through huge crowds - Even youngest DS (who came with us) felt we should wear masks. Then $180 for lunch for 4,, which was essentially 4 large hamburgers (it could have been worse, DS picked a restaurant that, when we saw the cheapest entree was $60, we quickly but graciously walked out). Leaving was another hour to go less than a mile back to the Holland Tunnel and made it a long 5+ hour drive home.

But - we got to see this DS, and we brought youngest DS who had not physically seen his brother for over 2 years, so the family time was worth it. When I mentioned my Dad had worked in Manhattan before he retired, they insisted on seeing the building (visiting DS was 7 and youngest DS just six days old when my Dad died). The building was still there, and they were happy to see that. of course both DS's and DW could not resist doing some shopping, but hey, their money, not mine :).

Related followup - yesterday a friend invited me to go with a group to today's Yankees game. The catch was they wanted me to drive to the stadium. Normally I can handle it (especially when they are Legends Suite tickets, but not this time), but after the joy of Saturday and Sunday, no way did I have the energy to deal with NYC traffic again. The rest of the group are more "country" folks who cannot deal with city traffic. So no none us went, instead we sent the tickets to one of my older brothers who went with SIL and a couple of their friends in our place.

Weather is a bit cooler now, so while the sun is not beating down, we are putting together the old hammock, umbrella and table set for the deck. The last of the summer furniture to get out for this year, to enjoy for a few months, before it all gets put away again!

Spent the entire day working on a corral in one of the meadows. The grass/alfalfa is over 40 inches high. It really flourished with all those April snows and rains so far. I need to get some livestock in here and get some of it hayed. I got a lot of work yet to do but making progress.

I'm the happiest man in the world when I got a Benjamin in my pocket, gas in the tank, dirt on my hands and being able to be in the outdoors. The outdoors is medicine for the soul.

Attachments

• IMG_9796.jpg
    IMG_9796.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 55
Spent the entire day working on a corral in one of the meadows. The grass/alfalfa is over 40 inches high. It really flourished with all those April snows and rains so far. I need to get some livestock in here and get some of it hayed. I got a lot of work yet to do but making progress.

I'm the happiest man in the world when I got a Benjamin in my pocket, gas in the tank, dirt on my hands and being able to be in the outdoors. The outdoors is medicine for the soul.
+1:)

Wifey and I drove up to the little boat, now nicely charged overnight, started with first crank, cast off and ripped her down the river!

Boat likes her new fuel filter, motor ran better than ever. Before only taching 5 grand, now WOT 5500. Which confirms the prop is correct. Full peg, no surging, life is good. Don't want to sell the Captain a bad boat.

Then we drove up to Tiki Lagoon and verified the slip was clear and wifey saw it for the first time.

Bought some fireworks for the Fourth, burgers, hot dogs and a rack of spareribs. Gonna party hardy - :)

Working on retirement plan here.
Talked to my FA guy and see him in person tomorrow.

One door closes, another door opens they say.

Headed to the top of the Sierra Nevada mtns today for a three-day backpacking trip with daughter. Eleven mile hike up to a lake at 9,400 ft.

Oldest daughter is a super fit outdoor sports fanatic. I’m in good shape for a 58 y.o. guy and hoping I can keep pace with the kid today.

Headed to the top of the Sierra Nevada mtns today for a three-day backpacking trip with daughter. Eleven mile hike up to a lake at 9,400 ft.

Oldest daughter is a super fit outdoor sports fanatic. I’m in good shape for a 58 y.o. guy and hoping I can keep pace with the kid today.
That sounds awesome. Love hiking.
Enjoy

I didn't do anything special today and loved every minute of it. I got up early, backwashed the pool filter, cleaned the hot tub filter and tested and adjusted the hot tub water. After the weekly shopping, I went for a nice swim, and this afternoon settled down to read a book, but ended up sleeping a lot instead. I need to nap more. I wake up very early (5AM or before) and cannot get back to sleep. Napping is wonderful.

DH has been locked in front of his computer for a week. Netflix is looking to do a musical based on Stranger Things, and DH has been involved in a project to present to Netflix. DH and a friend collaborated for the past two years and have a completed musical which they recorded (audio only I believe), and this week involved a ton of audio editing in order to release the project, which could happen today. She has a few Los Angeles connections, so who knows if it will be a thing. The main thing is that I have a DH again today, as he has been locked on the computer 8-12 hours a day since Sunday night.

I cleaned out my car and organized my laundry room. What amazed me is that this evening I checked my pedometer to get an idea how long I would have to walk to get in my 10,000 steps. I already had met the goal!

We are loading out the travel trailer to head to the (Firework free) mountains for 3 days with 3 dogs.The silken windhound really does not like the noise. We've spent the 4th on Chinook Pass for the last 10 years plus.
IMG-9399.jpg

picked some blueberries
planted some more zinnias
put together the hammock, table and umbrella out back.
getting the outside work done early.

- Started moving furniture to the middle of the rooms in preparation for painters next week. Will finish this tomorrow.
- Finished a craft project so I can get it put away off the kitchen table.
- Swept the deck, then took a nice break out there with a magazine and a cold drink.
- Tonight is movie and ice cream night.

We are loading out the travel trailer to head to the (Firework free) mountains for 3 days with 3 dogs.The silken windhound really does not like the noise. We've spent the 4th on Chinook Pass for the last 10 years plus.
IMG-9399.jpg

That's a good looking crew! :D

Picked up my 15 year old from camp this morning- positive for Covid. Ugh. At least I got to see Hamilton last night in New Orleans before our quarantine...

That sounds like a great 3 day venture!!!

At DDs for the long weekend. We are replacing carpet in craft room with wood flooring. Yesterday I cut the carpet in strips and rolled it up to fit in trash. Then SIL and I painted the floor for odor control due to previous owner cats (reason for project). Second coat of paint this morning and got half the flooring laid. Now enjoying band at local cider brewery along with pizza and cider.

We are loading out the travel trailer to head to the (Firework free) mountains for 3 days with 3 dogs.The silken windhound really does not like the noise. We've spent the 4th on Chinook Pass for the last 10 years plus...

Do they allow dispersed camping there? Can you find a flat spot to camp?

Yesterday I got the 23-foot one piece including 3-foot sand point tip in the hole. It was a job to raise alone but it is in the ground. Had to drive it another 4 foot down. I got water in pipe at 15.3 feet down from ground level. Worked some on corral and made gate hinges and installed them.

When I work there, I start a fire to keep mosquitoes away. I also cut grass up at cabin and the area at bottom going up to the cabin.

A few pictures of the well pie installed and fire.

Attachments

• IMG_9814.jpg
    IMG_9814.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9810.jpg
    IMG_9810.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 51
When you are driving a well, how do you know when you have hit water?

Good question!!
With this well I made a 2" hand auger and hand drilled down to 17 feet. So, when I would pull up the auger to remove soil I knew exactly when I was in watah.
When you drive them (large post driver) by hand the sand point tip goes down first. When you get down about 15 feet or so you will want to drop in a dry string with a weight tied to the end and drop it down inside the pipe (1 1/4 inch) and it will go right down to the bottom of the sand point tip. Then pull it up and check where it starts to be wet on the string. Measure the wet length of string etc. and you can measure what length of pipe you have down the hole.

I hope that explains well enough travelover.

The first 50 feet down are owned by the Denver Water Board here where I live. You have to put in a 50 foot steel pipe that is cemented in place. My well is 280 feet deep and drilled with a drilling rig through decomposed granite. No DIY wells in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom