Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-29-2024, 11:17 PM   #2141
Moderator Emeritus

Finished a hiking map I was working on. Then brought my truck to town for an oil change and walked over to visit MIL.

After 42 years, DW lost our envelope of yearly tax documents for the first time. But luckily with the ability of getting docs online, I was able to download everything I needed to get the taxes done.

Picked up my truck and went out for fajitas and a margarita.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2024, 06:40 PM   #2142
Dryer sheet wannabe

I closed on the new house today!!! Congratulations to me! Now I will start doing additional improvements in the kitchen (glass backsplash, glass pendant light, etc...), in the bathrooms (new light fixtures, etc...) and in the garden (tropical shrubs planters, hedge, drip irrigation, etc...). The big difference with pre-FIRE is that I now have all the time in the world to do that. No calls, meetings, WebEx and documents to deliver! I also used to take some time off to perform home improvements and was under pressure to finish before going back to w0rk. Don't have to worry about this today! On the $ side, I will go slightly over budget ($9k) total $329k instead of $320k. I'm sure I will meet this budget because 99% is spent! Mostly because I under estimated the upgrades I've asked the builder to do (they don't do that usually, but accepted to do it, so I got the bill last minute...) and also the landscaping. I did not want to do anything (this was not budgeted), but in the end I will do it (and 50% I and 50% a landscaping company), the curb appeal will be so much better and I like gardening (and the weather is perfect in Florida now till most likely end of April (after it's too hot to work in the yard for me). Take care! Life is good.
surfFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:39 PM   #2143
Full time employment: Posting here.

One of our rentals was vacated last week. Got over there for an inspection today. Looked pretty good. Needs a good cleaning and a few minor repairs. Except one of the bedrooms was painted dark blue. That will need to be repainted off white.

AND renter left a nearly new washer and dryer. Have to test them out with a load of laundry.

Hopefully will get a new family in there soon.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 03:29 PM   #2144

We both got up early for some reason (5:30ish) and things were just going along nicely when the power went out. Okay, that happens occasionally but normally for not more than 20 minutes to an hour. We were having some light rain but no wind to speak of, so I suspect either a falling tree or some drunk hitting a pole. Anyway, four hours later it was starting to get a bit chilly in the house and just as I was wheeling the generator toward the back door, the power came back on. Well, that's good, so at least I didn't have to go through hooking everything up. This is maybe the third time the power has been off this long in the last 20+ years so it's kind of hard to justify the expense of a whole house generator, and the portable runs everything we'd really need for a few days if we had to.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:47 PM   #2145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did the final crawl through H&R Block for our 2023 tax returns. Increased our net refund by several hundred dollars.

DW has a "girls night out", tonight, so I am spending some uninterrupted time with the home computing center and network. Now installing a new NAS unit onto our home network while blasting music in the background.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:07 PM   #2146
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Filed 2023 taxes. It was so nice and easy this time for the first time in years, no business expenses, no Schedule C. Only took a little more than 1 hour. Sweet.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:15 PM   #2147
Recycles dryer sheets

- Sat on the front deck with DW and watched the sun rise behind the palm trees with coffees in hand
- Snorkeled with Manta Rays
- Sat in the water in the shade of a palm tree while we "made plans" for what to do with our lives (aka the next 3-5days)
- Spent a few minutes working on taxes
- Made love and then jumped off the boat to cool off and cuddle (you did ask)
- Helped someone back home design their dream camper van to travel with the kids now (rather than waiting for retirement)
- Added to a couple posts here trying to remind people that retirement planning should be more about what you want to do than how much money you'll have in the bank when you die.
- About to pour a cocktail to watch sunset over the water - and if we really feel like accomplishing something we'll sue up a movie.

...pretty much the same as any other day I guess.

Enjoy the Journey!!
brydanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 07:53 AM   #2148

Headed over to Moms’ place today.

Thought I had a good system for Mom to set aside financial docs (box labeled Financial mail just inside the front door) that come in the mail. All she needed to do was drop mail from Merrill Lynch, Vanguard, etc. in the box and I’ll handle from there.

That system failed!!!

Mom & I will be spending the day on the phone changing the address on all her accounts to my place.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:01 AM   #2149

I am getting everything ready to brew a batch of beer today.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 09:18 AM   #2150

Quote:
Originally Posted by brydanger View Post
- Sat on the front deck with DW and watched the sun rise behind the palm trees with coffees in hand
Inquiring minds want to know Where is all this retirement bliss happening?

Wife and I (retired in 2020) just discovered the joys of extended winter travel. Spent this past winter wandering thru Belize, Costa Rica and Quintana Roo. Looking for ideas for next winter.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:57 AM   #2151
Moderator Emeritus

Still waiting on my last tax document from my pipeline company (K-1). Then I can file (mid month, I hope).

Today, I am planning on working on my "End of Life" book for my daughter to have when the time comes. I need to add the Transfer on Death Deed into it for the house.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:01 AM   #2152
Give me a forum ...

Heading to the coast for a few days, first time leaving puppy with our regular dog sitter. He will do fine, it's mom who misses him and the snuggles!
He is the first dog we have had in years who would actually be under the weight limit for hotels, but we have not traveled with him yet. He is 7 months old and very active, not sure he would do well for too long in the car, even with exercise breaks!
Old 03-04-2024, 02:00 PM   #2153

I have declared that winter is over, at least in this part of WV. We briefly hit 70 F. Today I took the snow blower out of the garage, drained the fuel system including the carburetor bowl, and put it in the shed with the gas cap off so the last vestiges of gasoline will evaporate. Next week I'll bring it inside to the workshop area and do all the off-season maintenance, greasing and oiling and inspecting as required. Then it gets put in a far corner, waiting until the next snowfall. Then I can check the tires, add gas, and be reasonably confident that it'll start right up.

I also took the generator (Honda EX4500) outside and ran it for 20 minutes or so just to make sure it all works and that the magnets were still doing their thing (they were). Same deal, drain the fuel system and let it sit in the shed for a week before bringing it back inside. This makes certain that little critters like mice don't decide to make a home in it and being in a climate controlled environment slows the aging processes like deterioration of rubber fittings, corrosion, and the like. That generator is 25 years old and looks brand new.
Old 03-04-2024, 02:37 PM   #2154

Hope you did not jinx yourself, Walt34.

Was going to paint the new siding on the back shed, but it is too cold and windy. Should be better tomorrow. So, I thought about it.

And I voted.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:02 AM   #2155

Went to my Autozone and got a battery for my riding mower. Got home and installed it but when I hit the switch it would turn over but not crank. I am going to check the spark from coil and then check the plugs. It has been sitting since last fall but I put in some gas tteatment before shutting down so hopfully it isn't bad gas. I knew I would be replacing the battery so since mower batteries only have a 90 day guaranty I chose to wait till spring to replace it. I don't use it much any more since I I have a lawn service but I am going to use it to pull my areator over the yard.
Venturer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 11:54 AM   #2156
Give me a forum ...

Continuing my multi day battle to set up a new NAS system. My current NAS units are fine, but being 10+ years old I thought I would BTD and try out some newer ones. So far no success, returned 1 unit and disk drives. If the testing continues to fail on the 2 unit, its going back.

Updating my python file backup automation programs to add some flexibility to them... at least that is going well .
Old 03-05-2024, 12:01 PM   #2157

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Continuing my multi day battle to set up a new NAS system. My current NAS units are fine, but being 10+ years old I thought I would BTD and try out some newer ones. So far no success, returned 1 unit and disk drives. If the testing continues to fail on the 2 unit, its going back.

Updating my python file backup automation programs to add some flexibility to them... at least that is going well .
I need to increase my NAS a bit. I am almost at 70% capacity. I had a good black friday deal and decided not to buy, and now the drives have been spendy since.

I figure with these HDDs the less usage the better so I try not to tax them too much. I like them being idle unless there is a pull of data from them...ie we are streaming a movie from the LAN NAS instead of the WAN stream.

Took me a while to optimize streaming and all that, which is a whole other story. Finally found a channel and have the static IPs configured to a point there are enough open banks for any auto IP assignments to not collide, all the smart little devices running fine on the main antennae and all my streaming stuff on 5G.

I use have streamed thousands of hours off of the WD Mybooks over my LAN with almost zero issues now...and we live in a larger 2 story with lots of concrete between the router and my upstairs master.

Disks have never failed. I do test each one before I deploy it into the network.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:13 PM   #2158

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Rider View Post
Hope you did not jinx yourself, Walt34.
That thought did cross my mind, but it's not just here, it seems like that all over the country (except of course for out west) there's a lack of snow. Y'all ought to see all the whining and complaining about the lack of snow over on the snowblower forum. If worst comes to worst, I'll have to pull it outside and put some gas in it, I won't be doing the serious maintenance on it for another month anyway.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:21 PM   #2159
Moderator Emeritus

Spring cleaning. Garage, house, closets, etc. Goal is a totally filled trash can!
Old 03-05-2024, 04:03 PM   #2160

More painting of the new siding on our back shack / shed. That T1-11 stuff is all rough texture and those grooves make it a real pain to prime paint with a brush. But that's what I have and will use to finish the job that l somehow thought I could knock out in an afternoon. What was I thinking? I have at least another couple days to go. My shoulders are kind of sore.